Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2017 07:00

Best methods for pre-patching image

When I build my images, I usually patch them to current. It is a long painful process of checking and double checking to make sure I don't install something that conflicts with our environment.

Building the base os and applying anything I need is pretty automated at this point. I have scripts that adjust all the settings for me, but the patching still chews time.

I would like to automate the process to match our current SCCM patch deployments. I don't feel good using Dell's updating for two reasons, it doesn't help the techs who use the image for reimages. Also, after last summer's stink with their chain of updates that some were wiped from history I am still a bit gun shy.

Is there a best practice for automated pre-patching of the base?

14 Posts

February 27th, 2017 02:00

Hi – the short answer is we do not have an automated way for pre patching for Dell Image Assist

Some best practices for WIN7 & WIN8.1 are to avoid installing platform specific updates

We recommend where possible to build your image in a virtual machine

15 Posts

February 27th, 2017 10:00

Since Windows10 automatically updates once connected to the internet and since those updates also include drivers, ImageAssist recommends building in a VM. This way chipset or hardware drivers are not pushed to your image.

You can fully update your VM image with all current MS Updates, then run the ImageAssist tool set to prepare and capture your image to send to the Dell factory.

Thanks,

Gary Babcock

Software Development Senior Engineer

Dell | Configuration Services

February 27th, 2017 09:00

That... stinks

and my images are built in a VM.

A big problem we ran into were patches upon deployment. We have limited bench time when staging machines for deployment, so waiting for patches is a bit bad for the bottom line. I'll look into exploiting wsus, and see where I can cheat without breaking things.

February 28th, 2017 08:00

Gary,

You just described what I have been doing for the last several years. What brought me here was my intent to automate the process without breaking the requirements for image assist. This however is for Windows 7, and not 10.

"we can't help you" was probably the most helpful answer

No Events found!