Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2020 14:00

Device id

I have been using image assist to build dell machines with a golden image, however I’ve noticed the machine once built all have the same device ID and I don’t know we’re the issue lies to resolve.

52 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 06:00

Correct, using the "get started" or "guide me" in legacy tool, is the proper way to make a dynamic image. The sysprep/oobe part will then be done automatically. 

52 Posts

September 18th, 2020 06:00

Hello, There are "device ids" and "security ids" in an image. If each machine being imaged has the same hardware, then the device ids will be the same. The security ids are what makes a system unique and different from other systems. If creating/deploying a "static" image, all ids will be duplicated, assuming you did not sysprep the image before capture. Sysprep will change the security ids. If using "dynamic" imaging, the security ids will be unique, because we sysprep the image automatically. Let us know if that does not answer your question. 

September 19th, 2020 13:00

Thanks for the reply. Not really sure of the solution though. Currently I am creating an image from a virtual machine, then restore the image on an optiplex and latitude. These machines now both have the same device ID do you know how I can resolve this? 

52 Posts

September 21st, 2020 06:00

In the VM when running the DIA tool, are you using the dynamic capture ?.  For dynamic imaging, you will run "guide me" in the legacy tool and "get started" in the new tool. If, using dynamic, do you have the proper driver packs in the "dell_driver_packs_local folder of the usb key when re deploying it ?. Then after deployment, are you saying that all or some of the device ID's in device manager are the same on different models ?.   Do the devices all have "bangs" on them ?.

September 21st, 2020 14:00

Thanks again for replying. I was having a rookie moment and building start from the virtual machine without entering syspreps OOB mode. After doing this the image became dynamic. Will this cause any issues or is this standard build procedure?

No Events found!