Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2016 15:00

ImageAssist: How to download your Dell OEM Windows ISO

NOTE Prerequisite:  A valid service tag with entitlement to the preferred Windows OS.  .e.g If looking for Windows 10, then the service tag must show sold with Windows 10. 

1. Go to:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/OSISO
  2. Input valid Service Tag & Verification Code then click Submit.
  3. Click the link to Download the recovery image.

After you download the Windows recovery image file, follow the instructions below to create a bootable USB drive or DVD.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 18th, 2017 12:00

Hi Community,

Dell Imaging Technology Support team brought your discussion to Dell's technical support department. Below are a couple notes to keep in mind regarding Dell's operating system download availability ( the process known as Dell Hosted Image ).

-Eligibility for Dell Hosted Image varies by service tag

-Dell Hosted Image hosts images available from Windows 7 SP1 and up

-There are 2 methods of download which are explained below

-If your service tag does not have an image available through the below 2 methods of download you can contact Dell technical support and mention article ID SLN308469. Dell technical support can use this ID in order to check on eligibility and/or to resolve image availability for specific service tags

-For eligible service tags image availability between the 2 download methods will vary. For example: An image may be available through browser download only and not available in the Dell USB Recovery tool

-If an image download is available through the below explained browser download option then Dell later makes the same tag's image available through the USB Recovery tool, the browser option will then no longer be available. The goal is to move away from the browser option and move all eligible downloads to the USB Recovery Tool.

Method 1. Download through Browser:

1. Go to support.dell.com

2. Enter your service tag then click 'submit'

3. Click on the 'Drivers & Downloads' tab

4. Pull the 'Catagory:' drop down and click on 'operating System'

5. Click the blue download button next to the listed image option

6. Enter your service tag again and proceed to download

Method 2. Download Through the Dell USB Recovery Tool:

1. Visit http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/w764

2. Follow the instructions listed on the page

(edited)

1 Message

May 19th, 2016 11:00

There is no recovery image available for my Optiplex 3020. How am I to create an image?

June 6th, 2016 08:00

Hello Dustin,

Sorry for the late reply.  If you still require a copy of the Windows OEM installation media, please call Dell technical support at 1.800.BUY.DELL and request Dell OEM Windows OS re-installation media.

23 Posts

March 31st, 2017 22:00

So how would you get the image if your Dell system is not able to boot. The system detect will not allow you to download from another PC.

April 4th, 2017 08:00

I also wanted to add that Rufus is actually no longer needed. Dell now provides it's own tool for making the ISO bootable. Here is the link to it: Dell OS Recovery Tool

April 4th, 2017 08:00

Hello Sedemdeh,

In your scenario, you would still input your service tag to download the ISO file.This can be done from another system. Once you have the ISO downloaded, in order to make it bootable, you can use a free 3rd party tool called Rufus in case your aren't able to make it bootable with system detect. You would simply need a USB flash drive big enough to support the ISO to boot with and restore your system. 

23 Posts

April 18th, 2017 05:00

I will restate the issue again. The del system detect application that is downloaded when you attempt to get the image will not validate a non dell system even with the service tag so it does not allow you to download the image. 

May 8th, 2017 11:00

Hello,

Sorry for the late follow up, can you send us your system service tag details to EMEA_OSImaging@Dell.com ? I'll check from there what's available for download and I'll try to help you then.

July 4th, 2017 20:00

The drive died in my Inspiron All-In-One 2330.  After replacing drive, I need to install fresh OS/Recovery.  I go to the Dell support download page and ut in the service tag number. The page tells me Win 8.1 and Dell OS Recovery Tool are available and gives me a download button.  Upon trying to download, however, the page downloads the Dell System Detect program.  What good is this for me?  I am working from another computer, not a Dell, and trying to download the image so i can get my dell back up and running.  I even installed the DSD, but of course it does nothing.  How can you create a circular system that does not work?  I can not download the tools unless i use the Dell PC, but I can not use the Dell PC unless i have the  tools to restore it?  How can i download win 8.1 and OS recovery tool?  I can create bootable USB flash drive to recreate a working computer, but i need the files!

14 Posts

July 5th, 2017 01:00

Hi JKONTHEWEB,

Can you please confirm your service tag and which OS imaging solution you used?

Thank you.

43 Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

Hello,

The Dell system detect will need to be downloaded prior to accessing the O/S ISO's.

Dell ImageAssist Support

Well, let's put aside the fact that makes no sense since my Dell computer does not boot and I am obviously doing this from another computer, which is not a Dell.

But i even did that, installed DSD, and repeated the image download process.  But the page still downloads DSD again.  Of course... DSD can not report the correct information to web page since it is running on a non-Dell computer.  So how will downloading and installing DSD fix the issue?

And how could anyone download the image, since anyone needing to likely has a non-working Dell computer?  Unless you happen to own two of the exact same model, which I do not, and can download the image from the other computer..

ST Service Tag: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

After entering that service tag, win 8.1 64-bit and OS recovery images are checked and i have a download button.  however, the download button does not download the images noted, but rather Dell System Detect.  I need the images.

43 Posts

Hello,

This site is setup for downloading to a Dell computer, unfortunately you are in a particular situation.  Since ImageAssist does not own the website, you may want to consider not posting through ImageAssist and posting to Dell where the owners of the website can better assist you.

July 5th, 2017 10:00

You are being unbelievably ridiculous.  

Almost everyone who needs to restore their original Dell image will be having a non-functional computer ... of course.  Almost by definition.  Why else would they need an image if their computer was working?  

If you can't provide images for people with non-functional, why post them for download? And if you can't support my Dell needs, why do you exist?

No Events found!