Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2017 11:00

Question re using virtualisation to capture image

Hi,

A quick one before I get to try this out tonorrow as it might save me time. Say we capture a maintenance image on a VM with a 100GB fixed drive or a dynamic drive. When we go to deploy that to a machine with say a 200gb HDD, what exactly happens ? Does it scale to size or does it leave wasted space ? If it's the latter is there a way around this or is the solution to use a VHD with partitions that match the physical drive ?

Cheers

15 Posts

November 15th, 2017 12:00

Let me attempt to clear this up a little bit more if I can.

Any drive that ISN’T detected as a USB (Removable Drive) and that hasn’t already been captured as another partition, would be detected as a Data partition and included in the Captured image.

As for restoring an image, by default the Restore Tool will set the Windows partition to Rest of Drive and expand accordingly to the new HDD Size, larger or smaller.

Thanks,

Gary Babcock

Software Development Senior Engineer

Dell | Configuration Services

Dell has created the next generation of client imaging technology.  A cost free tool that will help you quickly create a re-deployable Windows image to be sent to Dell and loaded onto your computers in our factory before they ship to your offices; it’s called Dell ImageAssist.

8 Posts

Thanks Gary, that certainly clears things up 100%

43 Posts

Hello,

When running ImageAssist in VM, the capture process will also include any external drive plugged in.

8 Posts

Thansk very much Ed, so even if I run the capture with a VHD it should pick up the drive on the host machine is what your suggesting ?

No Events found!