Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2017 09:00

Win 10 - WIM File restore and driver issues

Hi,

We recently got a hold of the creators update of Windows 10 and capturing the image worked perfectly fine. We are using Latitude 7275's and 5285's. 

Some background info:

• Built image from OEM ISO
  • No drivers were added to build at any stage during the process
  • Capture of image and un-attend works perfectly after running Sysprep OOBE

Looking at the logs during restore, the driver injection phase completes and no errors appear so it looks fine from that point of view but after logging in to finalize the setup (Anti-virus etc...) there are a lot of drivers missing e.g. Video.

Installing it manually resolves it but seems tedious considering the driver pack option is there. .I got both driver packs from the Dell website here and downloaded the win 10 64 bit packs.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be ?

43 Posts

November 7th, 2017 08:00

Stuart,

Couple things going on here, sysprep did not complete with fails throughout both sysprep logs not pin pointing to any particular failure reason.  Also it did not capture correctly and you did send all the correct logs, but within those logs there are logs missing.  I would recommend that a new image be built from scratch on a clean hard drive with all partitions deleted, then hand install a fresh O/S, the required apps then ImageAssist and execute.

43 Posts

November 7th, 2017 09:00

I have attached offline Microsoft offline update link to avoid attaching to internet for updates.  I have also attached a link for Microsoft Media Creation tool O/S install version 1709.

To answer your question you should be able to contue to create gold images from that snapshot.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

technet.microsoft.com/.../release-info

8 Posts

November 6th, 2017 10:00

Hi Ed,

Yes, that is where I downloaded both image assist before creating the USB key and the respective drivers for both models.

I can also confirm the presence of the Dell_Driver_Packs_Local folder and it's only contents were the downloaded driver packs for the 5285 (at that time) which were downloaded directly from that link with an unmodified name. E.g. if the 5285 drivers downloaded as win10_latitudee9tablet_a08 then I copy it into the _Local folder with the same name.

Thanks,
Stuart.

43 Posts

November 6th, 2017 10:00

Hello,

Were the family driver packs downloaded from the ImageAssist page?  The zip files should be placed as a whole zip in the folder off the root of the USB key named dell_driver_pack_local without extracting the contents, not renaming the zip file or placing it in a sub folder.  What are the name(s) of the family driver packs being used when restoring?

The links below should used for ImageAssist and the family driver packs are below

en.community.dell.com/.../7429.dell-ImageAssist

en.community.dell.com/.../11438.dell-family-driver-packs

43 Posts

November 6th, 2017 12:00

Do you have antivirus directly installed?  Also please send the logs from the locations listed below.

%WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther

Location of Sysprep logs.

%WINDIR%\Panther\DTRI\Logs

Location of Image Assist logs.

8 Posts

November 7th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Ed,

No, the only antivirus that has been on the PC is windows defender however that is OS included otherwise we haven't put any on. See attached logs, hopefully that's all them.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4916/Logs.zip:550:0]

8 Posts

November 7th, 2017 09:00

Thanks Ed,

Initially we built the image on a clean wiped hard drive and a fresh install of a Windows 10. I rolled back to the Initial Gold image which the driver injection appears to be working ok on, we do need to do a bit of updating to get that back to par but at least it is there.

Considering one did not go too well, can you offer any advice as to the best way to proceed ? Can we not just keep re-creating gold images off the initial maintenance image ?

No Events found!