Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2017 07:00

Windows 1709 Fall Creators supported with latest available Image Assist?

October 25th, 2017 07:00

At this time the DIA application is not supporting WIN 10 1709 until 11/07/2017 in which a new release will be updated to the DIA website.

Please check back at that time

10 Posts

November 7th, 2017 10:00

FYI, even with the new version of DIA, my capture still bombed out when running the sysprep step. I followed the instructions at http://alexappleton.net/post/159702702033/windows-10-pro-remove-wireless-display-media, after which I was able to successfully capture my image.

10 Posts

Hi MFULLBROOK,

Even though the date is wrong, the version I downloaded from there today is the updated one. I'm thinking someone neglected to update the information on the page.

Hello,

Sorry, I see from the previous post that there would be a new version of dell image assist release today 11/7/17.  Is there a delay on the release?  The release date from the current download on dell's site is still the one release from August 2017.  I've been trying to image Windows 10 1709 and have been having many issues and came across this post that the current version of image assist is not compatible with version 1709.

Thank you in advance.

Ah, noted.  Thank you very much for that!

November 7th, 2017 12:00

Just would like to confirm, after updating to the newest version of Dell Image Assist, sysprep runs and finishes with no errors!  Capture is running now.

Previous issues I've faced with sysprep phase were always to do with Windows 10 apps installed automatically (twitter, facebook, candy crush, etc).  In my experience, if the app can be installed through Settings-> Apps -> Apps and features, uninstall it! 

Glad I came across this post.  Thank you again.

November 8th, 2017 13:00

At this point, I was able to successfully capture an image with no errors, however, when restoring the image to a machine, I receive an error:

"windows could not finish configuring the system.  To attempt to resume configuration, restart computer."

The computer just keeps restarting after pressing OK and never gets past this point.  This is with Windows 10 Pro Version 1709.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

November 25th, 2017 13:00

Been trying to install for days! Contacted Microsoft via Help Chat and they have tried 4 times to get 1709 to install, always seems to grind to a holt at the same point and then back pedals.  Always run sfc and dism before next attempt.

My machine now unreliable, cannot start firewall and need loads of bits reinstalling because the driver or the software is damaged.  I have spent more than 30 hours on this now, not including new image downloads and the like.  I have a lot of software but I am creating another partition to dual boot and trying a clean install to see if 1709 will install on clean partition.

I seem to be in the same situation that occurred with the Win8.1 Upgrade, current OS defective and have to start again

14 Posts

November 27th, 2017 03:00

Hi mfullbrook,

Were you able to proceed past this issue?, if not please email relevant mailbox based on your location,

US_OSImaging@Dell.com

OR

EMEA_OSImaging@Dell.com

Thank you.

November 27th, 2017 20:00

Has anyone been able to update a Windows 10 1607 or 1703 maintenance image/snapshot to 1709 within the VM using a mounted ISO, then sysprep and capture using DIA?

When I do this even using the very newest DIA, i'm running into a problem where it will fail sysprep. If I check the setupact.log in sysprep\panther it mentions that the windows.contactsupport packaged was installed for a user but not provisioned for all users.

After some further investigating, it looks like this windows.contactsupport package was present in 1607 however is no longer a part of 1709 hence automatically removed as part of the upgrade.

Any way around this issue?

November 28th, 2017 01:00

Hello,

On this case we recommend you to update your ISO with this Microsoft tool available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and then proceed with a new and fresh installation.

The capture should work afterwards fine.

November 28th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for the reply. Could you please confirm/clarify; are you saying the already configured maintenance vm snapshot can be updated from 1607 to 1709 and then run dia to sysprep + capture.

Or, do we need to start all over agaon from scratch and build the image again using 1709 from the beginning, and hence do that each and every time there is a feature upgrade of windows 10 (around each 10 months!!!)

November 28th, 2017 06:00

You can use your already configured maintenance vm snapshot to be udpated from 1607 to 1709 but disconnect it from the network during the update. Then you can run DIA to sysprep and capture

The problem occurred whenever you run the Windows Updates. I would advise you to take a snapshot/static image before connecting the VM to the network and let the updates run. In the same way I would advise against leaving the machine connected to the network unless this is absolutely needed.

Unfortunately the App cannot be uninstalled as it is a Windows feature. In previous versions of Windows 10 you could remove the feature (although it is not advisable) like this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2017/03/22/removing-contact-support-app/

In Windows 10 1709 this is not always possible. I hope it makes sense now.

• 

297 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

BirthdayCakes1,

These type of Sysprep issues have been occurring since Microsoft released Windows 10. Microsoft published the following article as a workaround when such issues occur.

Others have reported similar issues to yours where the provisioned application will not successfully remove after an upgrade. Here are a couple of articles which mention workarounds that have worked for others.

IceCreamCookies,

In regards to your question regarding the approach to servicing Windows 10. Microsoft began supporting Sysprepping upgraded versions of Windows beginning with the 1607 release (as documented in this article). Since that release, Dell has supported servicing Windows 10 releases using the upgrade and then Sysprep method.

Regards,

Tyler

November 28th, 2017 13:00

Good day Tyler and Daniel,

Thank you for providing the information. I would like to run through the process I am following to clarify where the issue lies. Hopefully this may also assist others whom need to tackle the same process.

1. I have a snapshot of a 1607 maintenance VM with all my configurations. This snapshot is taken prior to sysprep/DIA being run on the VM.

2. Sysprep/DIA runs perfectly in 1607 - there's a powershell script I call upon using first login command in sysprep to remove the unnecessary windows 10 store apps such as bing weather etc etc.

3. I loaded the 1607 maintenance VM where sysprep works correctly, ensured network connections are OFF. I then ensured the older DIA tool was uninstalled.

4. I then mounted the new 1709 iso (obtained from MS VLSC) and ran the setup/upgrade. During the process I configured setup to keep all files and settings and don't check for updates.

5. The update completed successfully.

6. Installed newest DIA tool set onto the VM and took a maintenance snapshot.

7. Ran DIA/sysprep and received the sysprep error.

Please kindly advise where I need to alter the process.

Best regards.

No Events found!