Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2022 10:00

7700 AIO: Windows 11 - How to display CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK stati on taskbar

The keyboard on my wife's new 7700 AIO has an indicator light that reflects the status of CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK when toggled,  However, the indicator light only stays on for about 3 seconds.  Pretty useless.

On her previous [HP] desktop with Windows 10, she would get a momentary on-screen popup that would display the key status.  It was helpful, but it too disappeared after a few seconds.

Can we/is there a way to configure the hardware/software to generate a permanent key status indicator on the Windows taskbar?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 13th, 2022 11:00

My caveat was only meant to say I've never used any of those keyboard LED indicator apps so I'm not in position to recommend (or not) any of them. I have no need for them because the keyboard LEDs on both my Dell desktop and Dell laptop don't turn off automatically.

The 2nd link I posted is to Vovsoft's app. This app is also available for download at the CNET and ZDNet sites, both very reputable companies, if that means anything to you...

The only way to get around the LEDs turning off automatically nowadays would be a firmware or software update for the keyboard. Dell doesn't make them, so it's up to their supplier to implement such changes. This is all being done to save energy and extend battery life, but at the inconvenience and annoyance of users.

As for driver updates, are you logged into an account with administrator privileges when trying to install them? Sometimes, you have to disable your anti-viral app before installing them (be sure to re-enable it immediately afterward!).

Some driver installers give an uninformative error message when it really meant to say the version attempting to be installed is the same or older than the driver that's already installed. Intel driver update are notorious for this.

So compare installed driver version numbers in Device Manager with the version you're trying to install. Go only by the driver's version number, not by date(s). If it's the same or lower version number, don't bother with it.

January 12th, 2022 12:00

Thanks, RoHe - good to know.

However, that won't really address her problem.

And speaking of BIOS, Support Assistant keeps telling me that there is a BIOS update to be installed, but when I try to do that, I get the dreaded "Unexpected error".

Furthermore If I try to install updated drivers, I get the other dreaded response: "...unavailable...try again later"  (which apparently has been going on for at least two years,,,).

Dell has some support issues.  Since these are forward-facing when users are having difficulties, you'd think they'd have folks working on them like ducks on an anthill. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

What version of Windows?

Lots of complaints about this kind of thing. It's supposed to save energy by turning the keyboard LED(s) off.

There are various apps (some free) that put a notification on the screen for Cap and Num lock, like this one and this one. CAVEAT: I have no experience with any of them and you'll have to confirm that the app supports whatever version of Windows is running. You might even want to try several of the free ones to see if one you like better.

A "semi"-work-around is to enable Toggle keys on the Keyboard screen in Windows. Then scroll to the bottom of that same screen and enable both "make a sound..." and "show a warning...". That way you'll hear and see when Cap or Num lock is toggled on or off...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

One more thing, there is an option in BIOS setup to enable/disable Num lock. The default is enabled, so Num lock is always turned on at every boot.

But there are no BIOS options to stop the keyboard LEDs from going off...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 12th, 2022 16:00

Please explain why one of those free-ware apps I linked above won't solve the problem with the keyboard LEDs going off? Isn't that exactly what you asked for? There are no built-in options in Windows or in this PC's hardware to change how long the keyboard LEDs stay on.

And why are you suddenly complaining about BIOS and driver updates that won't install? That's an entirely different discussion.

IMO, you should never let SupportAssist manage BIOS updates. That's too risky. Go to the Support page for the latest BIOS update and manually download the .exe file onto an empty 2-GB USB stick. Then read and carefully follow the instructions on that same page for:
Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system)

Once you launch the BIOS update from the F12 menu, just leave the PC alone until it's safely back at the desktop. It may look like it shut itself down completely, one or more times during the update. Don't do anything, don't press any keys or power the PC off. When the update is done, it will automatically reboot to the desktop.

As for "unavailable" drivers, exactly which ones are you talking about? Sometimes there are server issues that make things unavailable on the support site...

January 12th, 2022 18:00

Whoa! I in no way intended to antagonize you with my answers or actions or written responses.

First, I am naturally leery of installing software for which I have no previous information nor experience (written reviews, word of mouth, etc.)  Your references to them were hardly ringing endorsements: "CAVEAT: I have no experience with any of them and you'll have to confirm that the app supports whatever version of Windows is running."

I hardly thought I was "complaining" about BIOS updates.  Dell Support Assistant (which I assume is a Dell Product, and which is pushed vigorously during the initial system install) recommended that I run the full panel of diagnostics (disk, etc.).  The first panel showed that there were recommended updates to be installed, which I attempted to do.  After many attempts, I was never successful. 

The CAPS LOCK LED display issue has been frequently reported to Dell support and invariably the first response is to install latest drivers and to make sure that BIOS is up to date. So, assuming I'd be doing the simplest thing first, I download and attempted to install driver updates.  I did the download but was never successful in getting the files to successfully install.  The error messages I received were identical to those received by others attempting to do similar installs over the past few years. I of course understand that there might be all sorts of circumstantial differences across time, versions, hardware, etc., but it would certainly be way more helpful if Dell could provide us with more information than cryptic reports such as that something (unidentified) is "unavailable". 

I will pursue the afore mentioned third-party utilities further.  Thanks. 

No Events found!