Highlighted
2 Bronze

Adding an SSD to an Inspiron 3671

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 3671. It came with a 1 TB hard disk drive. This is a tad slow when booting up and installing updates etc. I would like to install an SSD in addition to the hard drive. I have taken a look at the service manual and inside the case of the pc. I can see when the 2 1/2" ssd could go. 1 of two places. There are two screw points for both locations where the drive could be mounted.

Unfortunately no additional sata cables (power or data) were provided inside the case for future expansion.

Are sata cables (power and data) standard, or do dell use there own style of cable? If so, how can I buy them in the uk please and what ones will I need?

Matthew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Re: Adding an SSD to an Inspiron 3671

Jump to solution

Dell's specs say the 3671 supports an M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive, PCIe/NVMe AHCI, up to 6 Gbps; Up to 512 GB. It's curious Crucial is offering a 1T M.2 SSD for this model and that  page says 100% compatible, but they typically guarantee things will work if they recommended it for a specific PC model.

After you clone the HDD to the new SSD, you can re-initialize the HDD and use it for storage, regardless of whether you install a 500 GB or 1T SSD.

The 3671 supports these drive configs so there's lots of potential data storage capacity, even if you only get a 500 GB SSD. But be sure to tell Win 10 and your apps to store their data files on the HDD, not on the SSD.

• One 3.5-inch hard drive and one M.2 2230/2280 PCIe/NVMe solid-state drive/Intel Optane storage
• Up to two 2.5-inch hard drives
• Up to two 2.5-inch hard drive(s) and one M.2 2230/2280 PCIe/NVMe solid-state drive/Intel Optane storage
• Up to one 3.5-inch hard drive and two 2.5-inch hard drive(s) and one PCIe/NVMe M.2 2280

Read the Service Manual about removing Optane (if installed) and installing an SSD in that slot. That screw should have an offset that you remove and install under the SSD card to support it. So don't lose it!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello,

Does anyone know the part number for the sata power cable used in the Dell Inspiron 3671 please?

Matthew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Do you really need/want a SATA SSD?

The Inspiron 3671 has an M.2 slot on motherboard for an M.2 2230/2280 PCIe/NVMe SSD.

Crucial is just one example of companies offering various M.2 SSDs that are compatible with the 3671.

Caveat: If you already have an Intel Optane cache drive in the M.2, you'd have to remove it and replace with the  SSD. Optane is used to speed up responses from pokey HDDs, but you won't need Optane if you install a decent SSD and load Windows and your apps on it. And then you can re-initialize the 1T HDD and use it for data storage.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. No, its not a necessity that I have a sata ssd.

Thanks for the link to crucial.

I looked online at a supplier in the uk, and found this ssd for sale. Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 250GB SSD. Would this be suitable as its a 2280 ssd? Its at a very good price. Twenty pounds cheaper than the equivalent on crucial's web site.

How easy is it to fit? Does it just slot into the pci express slot?

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've just realised that the ssd on crucial's web site is much faster, than the other one I referenced, hence the difference in price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have taken a look inside the Dell Inspiron 3671's case. I have found the M.2 PCIe slot. There is a screw where the 2230 numbering is on the motherboard. The M.2 PCIe ssd on crucial's web site is a 2280. Am I right in thinking I need to remove the screw from the 2230 position and put in into the 2280 position after fitting the M.2 PCIe SSD?IMG20200726111701.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Dell's specs say the 3671 supports an M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive, PCIe/NVMe AHCI, up to 6 Gbps; Up to 512 GB. It's curious Crucial is offering a 1T M.2 SSD for this model and that  page says 100% compatible, but they typically guarantee things will work if they recommended it for a specific PC model.

After you clone the HDD to the new SSD, you can re-initialize the HDD and use it for storage, regardless of whether you install a 500 GB or 1T SSD.

The 3671 supports these drive configs so there's lots of potential data storage capacity, even if you only get a 500 GB SSD. But be sure to tell Win 10 and your apps to store their data files on the HDD, not on the SSD.

• One 3.5-inch hard drive and one M.2 2230/2280 PCIe/NVMe solid-state drive/Intel Optane storage
• Up to two 2.5-inch hard drives
• Up to two 2.5-inch hard drive(s) and one M.2 2230/2280 PCIe/NVMe solid-state drive/Intel Optane storage
• Up to one 3.5-inch hard drive and two 2.5-inch hard drive(s) and one PCIe/NVMe M.2 2280

Read the Service Manual about removing Optane (if installed) and installing an SSD in that slot. That screw should have an offset that you remove and install under the SSD card to support it. So don't lose it!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos