Highlighted
slbowen2
Copper

Adding expansion card with more USB Ports to Inspiron 3668

I am wondering if one can add more USB ports using the expansion slots (even just 2.0).  Any chance I could add an eSata card?  I know on my old computer the expansion cards plug directly into the motherboard... is the same done with the Inspiron 3668... what else can these slots be used for?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fireberd
Diamond

Re: Adding expansion card with more USB Ports to Inspiron 3668

There are three PCIe slots on this model.  One for a video card and two for other cards such as a PCIe USB expansion card.  Shouldn't be a problem, either USB 2.0 or 3.0. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
slbowen2
Copper

Thanks for the explanation.  Would there likely be no problem having the 2 non-graphics cards both be USB ones?  Thanks again

0 Kudos
fireberd
Diamond

I have two 5 port USB 2.0 PCIe cards in my desktop and there are no problems.  I use my desktop for my home recording studio and for audio CD production and needed 5 USB 2.0 ports for the bank of 5 CD burners and I needed extra USB 2.0 slots for some other items that are in the second PCIe USB 2.0 card.   My motherboard rear panel I/O ports are all USB 3.0 and 3.1 and I'm using the 3.0's for my recording gear.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos