Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

January 13th, 2022 08:00

Audio or line input

I just purchased a DELL 3891 and there are no audio or line inputs, only a headphone jack. I want to be able to transfer some old LPs to burn to CDs with ROXIO software. I got a USB adapter, but the program says it cannot open the device? Is there any way I can get audio into this machine? I thought about adding a sound card, would that do what I need to get inputs to the computer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2022 12:00

BTW: Have you checked your Windows Audio settings with the adapter and turntable plugged in, to see if you can select the right device?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2022 12:00

What version of Windows?

There are no audio-in ports on this PC, so that is an issue.

Exactly what USB adapter did you get? And what device is being connected to that adapter?

Does that adapter come with its own driver, and did you install it? Is the adapter compatible with your version of Windows?

Where are you connecting the adapter to PC? The front PC USB ports are only USB2. So you might want to try one of the rear (blue) USB3 ports.

Is the input source (eg, turntable) compatible with a USB adapter, or does it need a pre-amp setup?

January 13th, 2022 14:00

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I am running Windows 11, it is a new PC that I got about a month ago. I tried a 3D SOUND USB adapter in all 7 of the ports and get the same message “Could not open sound device! (Microphone (1-USB Pnp Sound Device))”

I then got a SABRENT AU-MMSC type C sound adapter to try the USB-C port and it does pass the audio but it has a steady clicking noise, even with the input cable unplugged from the device to the adapter, only the adapter plugged into the C port! I contacted the manufacturer and they said that the C- USB port is for data only?

I was wondering if I need to install a sound card with a mic or line input?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2022 18:00

Did you go to the Win 11 Audio-in (Microphone) screen and see if you can make any changes there? Be sure to enable the "mic" on that screen and give your apps permission to use it.

I don't understand... If Sabrent is selling you a type C sound adapter, how can they say the USB-C port is data only? What's the difference between digital audio data coming out of their adapter and digital data coming from some other USB-C device?

You have a PCI-e x1 slot in this PC, so you might be able to install an audio card. Just make sure it supports Win 11 and has line-in capability that accepts output from your turn table . Can't give any card specific recommendations. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2022 21:00

@Buster5219 

@RoHe 

You need to use truely universal Audio input via USB sound adapter.

Turtle Beach Amigo II or equivalent.

You also need a phono to line level amplifier because the output from turn table is very low.  .005v to .5v amp.

Phono Preamplifier/dp/B004HJ1TTQ

Green is the headphone out and RED is the mic in.

UGREEN Headphone-Mic /dp/B01N905VOY

These are driverless and work MAC or PC or Linux etc.

AMIGOII.JPGAMIGOIIB.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2022 21:00

@Buster5219 wrote:

1. I just purchased a DELL 3891 and there are no [2 channel or stereo] line inputs, .

2. I want to be able to transfer some old LPs to burn to CDs with ROXIO software.

3. I got a USB adapter, but the program says it cannot open the device? Is there any way I can get audio into this machine?

4. I thought about adding a sound card, would that do what I need to get inputs to the computer.

1. Correct

2. That is fine, but I don't think you use have to use Roxio to capture the music. You can do it with (free) Audacity. After you have the .WAV, files, you can THEN use Roxio (or many other different programs) to create an "Audio-CD" that will play in any standalone CD/DVD/BD player.

3. It should work. Get a working one. A USB-Audio-Device is a whole "sound card" unto itself. It has it's own drivers and everything. StarTech stuff is not fancy, but their stuff works. You can also get higher-end ones.

4. You might have to. However, many musicians and people doing DAW use USB-based audio-devices now-days. Some are even ethernet-based. That way, you can also use it on your Windows laptop, Apple-Mac (if supported), etc.

Finally, if you ONLY want to do vinyl records, you can get a USB-Turntable. A.T. is a well-respected brand.  

January 19th, 2022 09:00

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all the audio settings and no luck, the adapters work on CD settings but not on DVD settings in the audio setup page, I get the rapid clicking noise with both adapters that I have tried to use! I will try BlueTooth input next, I have a Bluetooth device at the church and will try that when I can!! Frustrating!!!!

No Events found!