Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

9 Posts

April 7th, 2021 08:00

Brand new Inspiron 3880 - internet problems

I got a brand new Inspiron 3880 yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get online. I want hard-wired internet access. 

The PC on the other desk connects with no problems.

Windows 10 home.

I rebooted the router and modem a number of times.

Brand new modem from Spectrum a few days ago.
Brand new tp-link a few days ago.

I have switched the ethernet cables a number of times. I have also directly plugged it into the modem instead of the tp-link.

I did run Windows Network Troubleshooter. It showed that the PC was unable to get online and had no suggestions.

I did not uninstall Realtek in Device Manager because it shows that it is working properly. In Device Manager, under Network Adapters, it does list a number of WAN miniports. I'm guessing that the W stands for wireless, right? I just want LAN and there's nothing like that listed there.

I have done no updates. Just got the PC yesterday.

I have not scanned for malware since I can't get online with it and it's brand new.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 7th, 2021 11:00

LAN for this model should be Realtek 8111HSD

Have you tested wireless internet on this pc too, even though you want LAN?

also do a Dell diagnostic run when powered up to see if anything wrong with network adapters.

9 Posts

April 7th, 2021 16:00

Sorry, but I'm old school. I do not have wireless in my home. I do not want it nor need it.

I want wired internet like I have on the other PC.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 7th, 2021 17:00

Hello,

Does the NIC port's lights, light up at all? ^JKC

9 Posts

It shows Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller: File version 10-038-1118-2019.

I ran diagnostics and got this message.
Ethernet doesn't have a valide IP configuration.  not fixed

While in Device Manager, should I disable all of the WAN miniports and Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC3165 ?

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi,

I have replied to you from a private message.

-Gautam.

9 Posts

NIC lights up green.

9 Posts

April 7th, 2021 18:00

Reposted question.

While in Device Manager, should I disable all of the WAN miniports and Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC3165 ?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 7th, 2021 19:00

the wireless adapters are independent of your ethernet adapter issue.  deleting them would not help (they are not the culprit).

something wrong with your ethernet adapter settings.  A clean install of OS may help, or try some of the repairs steps recommended in this article.(how to fix Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2021 12:00

@gingerwho  - The green NIC LED typically means it's detecting a 1000 speed port on the router, so that's a good sign.

You can read this about fixing the invalid IP configuration error message you got...

9 Posts

April 9th, 2021 06:00

I am taking a break from trying to set the PC up. I will be back tomorrow to update.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

• 

16.7K Posts

April 9th, 2021 07:00

gingerwho,

Thank you for the update.  

9 Posts

April 10th, 2021 01:00

I reset the PC and that cleared up whatever problem was that didn't allow wired internet access.

I don't know how it got the way it did. And I also don't know how or why the reset fixed the problem.   I'm just glad that it now works.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 10th, 2021 01:00

Glad to hear that this fixed the issue.

In case you need any help, you can always write to us here.
We're just a message away!

9 Posts

April 10th, 2021 10:00

Well, pooh. This morning, it reverted back to airplane mode, and I'm unable to get back online......again.

The same message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Waaaaaah !!!

I just don't understand.................. *sigh*

• 

25.1K Posts

April 10th, 2021 11:00

I suggest removing the software that were installed recently. 

We can also check if there were any windows updates that were run in last 24 hours.

Have you created any restore points after resetting the system?

No Events found!