Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 25th, 2018 17:00

Dell Inspiron 3847 CPU at 99%

Earlier this week I was dealing with sudden crashes and BSOD's, I went to Microsoft which suggested I uninstall my display driver and reinstall it. I did this and it fixed that issue. However since then my CPU is always running at 99%, regardless of what I'm doing. Anytime I open up firefox, chrome, or even a folder the CPU usage for that jumps up to around 40%. Even idling the CPU is running at 99% with the "System" using the most. I've checked all my drivers and they are up to date according to the device manager, windows update, and the driver easy software.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 26th, 2018 05:00

Run a complete malware/spyware and antivirus scan with up to date programs.   Malwarebytes is recommended for the malware/spyware scan. 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 26th, 2018 07:00

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner

Microsoft Safety Scanner is a scan tool designed to find and remove malware from Windows computers. Simply download it and run a scan to find malware and try to reverse changes made by identified threats.

Safety Scanner only scans when manually triggered and is available for use 10 days after being downloaded. We recommend that you always download the latest version of this tool before each scan.

NOTE: This tool does not replace your antimalware product. For real-time protection with automatic updates, use Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10 and Windows 8 or Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7. These antimalware products also provide powerful malware removal capabilities. If you are having difficulties removing malware with these products, you can refer to our help on removing difficult threats.

20 Posts

March 28th, 2018 18:00

What CPU is in the system? Maybe a CPU upgrade will work.

The socket in the Inspiron 3847 is LGA 1150.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 28th, 2018 20:00

Version of Windows?

Do mean "System" or "System Idle" is using 99% of CPU time?  (System Idle is the amount of free CPU time, so you want System Idle to be as high as possible.)

If it's "System", you can download the free Process Explorer from Microsoft which will give you more details about exactly which process(es) is using CPU time and that might help you pinpoint the problem.

It works like Task Manager, but is more powerful because it's much more detailed about what's doing what. Install PE and reboot the PC. Then launch PE. On its toolbar select Always on Top, and sort the columns so the process with the highest CPU use is at the top.

Then reduce the size of the PE window and put it off in a corner of the screen. When things bog down, you can look in the PE window to see exactly which process is hogging the CPU. Double-click that entry and PE will open a new window with lots of details...

No Events found!