Inspiron Desktops

Last reply by 06-08-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 5676 USB3.1 Type-C Motherboard Connector

Motherboard DiagramMotherboard Diagram

Motherboard Connections Diagrams Confusion/Errors

Connector #8 - USB 2.0 cable connector (populated)

Connector #11 - Card Reader (UNpopulated) [Incorrectly labeled as USB 3.1 cable connector in pic above]

Connector #14 - USB 3.1 cable connector (populated)

Connector #13 - USB 3.1 Type-C cable connector (UNpopulated)

I've seen a few different configurations for the Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktops 5676. 5676 and 5680.

My 5676 (with Ryzen 7 2700X and Radeon RX 580) has these front panel connectors:

Dell-5676-Front-Panel-Connectors.png

Labled as

Connector #2 - USB 3.1. Gen 1 port

Connector #5 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with PowerShare

Connectors #4 - USB 2.0 ports (quantity of 2)

Ok, I get it that my particular model doesn't have the front panel type-c usb connector, but it does have a USB 3.1 Type-C connector on the motherboard.

My question is this:

Can I purchase an adapter part that connects to the motherboard 3.1 Type-C 20-pin connector to one or more USB 3.1 Type-C connectors on a PCIe slot cover? I have found one such adapter, but apparently it doesn't have any kind of circuit board to provide multiple ports (just has one type-c port).

EnLabs PCIUSB20P2CF50CM 1.64FT Motherboard USB 20pin to USB 3.1 Type-C Female Adapter w/ PCI Slot Co...

Should this work? Or does it need something special like a dock connected to it?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Support response is basically.

1) Configuration not tested.

2) Motherboard 3.1 Type-C connector not guaranteed to function, not a feature of this configuration.

3) You can try it.

Not happy with the response, but it is what it is.

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (6)

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

<Service Tag removed>

Please delete the service tag from the public comments for security and privacy concerns. We have answered your query on a private message. 

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Aniketh S
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status
Download Drivers

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Perhaps someone could reply about whether or not the motherboard 20-pin usb 3.1 type-c connector is even functional on this version of the Inspiron 5676?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Support response is basically.

1) Configuration not tested.

2) Motherboard 3.1 Type-C connector not guaranteed to function, not a feature of this configuration.

3) You can try it.

Not happy with the response, but it is what it is.

Community Accepted Solution
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Possible (not yet tested) solution to add a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (1 slot for card, 1 slot for port)

Expansion card

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Internal-Connector-Expansion-Express/dp/B0832HDX6C

Extension cable

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Header-Type-C-Extension-Cable-15inch/dp/B07DV86Y4Z 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions