Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 31st, 2018 08:00

Dell Inspiron HDMI Samsung Television (mode not supported)

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron and want to use it in my bedroom with the Samsung TV.  I connected it via HDMI and it boots and then Samsung shows the dreaded "mode not supported" error.  I tried it on two televisions, gave up and used a LG Monitor to configure the PC.  I updated all of the drivers (including the 1050 graphics driver with GeForce Experience) in hoping something would fix it.  

Any ways I brought the configured television back down to the basement and gave it a whirl and the TV still can't see the HDMI output.  I've tried changing the displays as suggested here with no luck: https://www.dell.com/community/General/HDMI-Mode-Not-Supported/m-p/5170150/thread-id/934462.  Don't really want to use a VGA or DVI cable as well.

Is there anything I can do to make the television see the HDMI output from this new Dell?  I built a different PC with a 1080 graphics card (PNY) and have no issues whatsoever connecting it to television via HDMI.  Would really love this new Dell to be able to do the same.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

January 31st, 2018 09:00

Make sure you are using the remote on the tv to switch to the correct HDMI input. It is not automatic on a tv. Also try changing the hdmi port on the tv if there is more than one. On the computer you need to switch to external monitor or open Display Settings and select Detect under Multiple Displays. 

BTW, you should mention the exact model Inspiron as well as the Samsung tv. Is it a Smart tv or an older model? 

See this from Samsung-- http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=153003&modelname=&modelcode=&session_id=&from_osc=

January 31st, 2018 10:00

The PC is a Dell Inspiron 7700 and TV is a Samsung Smart TV.  I actually found a fix.  Used VNC viewer to remote in.  Used Nvidia Control Panel to change refresh rate to 30Hz.  Everything works now.  Thanks!

1 Message

February 23rd, 2018 11:00

I’m having similar problem with my DELL i3668-5113BLK-PUS windows 10 1709 connecting to an order 1080p Visio tv. None of the resolutions in the drop down menu display properly and I have no idea how to configure “custom” please help!!

5 Posts

September 20th, 2018 18:00

The same Issue swapped out cables, inputs, spoke with Dell.... 

Dell Tech Support: Change to your wireless adapter - Cast to it that way they said. 

I do not want to be on wireless while sending out to my Samsung 4K. That can be an issue with gaming. I have hardwired to my router.

Note: All 2 1920x1080p HDMI inputs will not work. HDMI Port 3 is 4K. I do not have a Dell 4K to test that port.

Make It Work Dell! >:   

5 Posts

September 20th, 2018 19:00

Thank you for your help Ms. Mary. Looks like that troubleshooting guide disappeared. 

Much Appreciated, 

Mark

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@MacReaser wrote:

1. Dell Tech Support: Change to your wireless adapter - Cast to it that way they said.  I do not want to be on wireless while sending out

2. to my Samsung 4K. 

3. I have hardwired to my router.

4. Note: All 2 1920x1080p HDMI inputs will not work.

5. HDMI Port 3 is 4K. I do not have a Dell 4K to test that port.

6. Make It Work Dell! >:   

1. Yeah, that's lame.

2. That's your problem. That was @mrjavascript problem also above ... what other kind of TV is going to be 30Hz these days.

Users have used this thread (and/or HardForum link) to successfully to fix 4K-TVs a couple of times now. Sometimes it's a setting in the 4K-TV itself.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5675-fails-boot-only-with-LG-4k-HDTV-connected/td-p/6069585

3. The computer or the 4K-TV? Well, both would be nice.

4. Yes, use one of these

5. No, not this one

6. Not too cool friend.  

5 Posts

Newline TrueTouch running Windows 10 had a issue where it would connect the WePresent 2100 then go black. We had to set the Intel graphics card up to 30Hz. That solved the sync issue there. 

5 Posts

Thanks Copp for your reply... Intel Graphics Card Solution was Spot On! What made it work was pulling out the cable from the AIO HDMI port and plugging it back in. I looked over the room and BOOM! Saw my extended screen. Samsung does not have a 30hz setting in the drop down menu of the 2nd monitor. Not going to question it... Now it's time to play an Xbox game off my dell AIO. 

No Events found!