Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2019 05:00

Dimension 4600 graphics card replacement

Good Morning everyone.

I could not find what might be an appropriate section for my question. I am hoping for the best here. 

Last year I pulled out my old Dell Dimension 4600 out of storage. Pentium 4 2.4ghz with hyperthreading on a 02Y832 motherboard. I gutted it and put in all new ram, two new drives, a new hard drive with fresh install of windows xp home edition sp3 32bit, two new lcd monitors and upgraded the original power supply with a new corsair 450 watt unit.

I turned the machine into a dedicated chess machine (as I have tons of software from chessok.com that runs best on xp) and some of my favorite retro games. I love the machine and it beats sending it to the landfill. 

As part of the upgrade I replaced the original mx440 (still have it and works fine) with an Nvidia Geforce 7600gs. I got it used on ebay and the fan was bad. I ended up replacing replacing the fan but it is going again and now I get stuttering on startup and sometimes during a game. So, I am assuming the card is starting to go.

I went on ebay and purchased a brand new Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT. But with this GT I can get nothing but a blank black screen. Nothing at all when this card is installed. Not even the dell splash screen that would allow me to get into the bios or boot up in safe mode.

I have perused the Dell message boards pretty extensively and it seems that this machine should be able to handle the GT card pretty easily. It is an agp card with 512mg's of ddr2 ram. I have posted this question to bleeping computer without any results and I am hoping someone here may have an answer.

I currently have put the GS back in the machine until I can sort this out.

Thanks so much

July 24th, 2019 13:00

Okay, so after perusing numerous message boards for days I think the issue is that I need to update the chipset drivers but I cannot find them on the Dell site and I am not 100% sure that the intel driver won't mess me up.

This is the driver I downloaded to update the chipset but have not yet tried to install it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14713/Chipset-INF-Update-Utility-for-848-865-875-910-915-925-Chipset-Based-Intel-Desktop-Boards?product=50353

The intel board id's do not match my board i.d. and I am not sure if that matters. My board is 02Y832. The chipset is i865P/PE/G/i848P. I think this might work but if anyone knows where on the dell site I can find it or confirm the driver update would work without destroying my board I would really appreciate it.

128 Posts

January 5th, 2020 21:00

I know this is months ago and may not help.  But I used to use 7800GS cards on a couple of 4600s.

David

2.5K Posts

January 6th, 2020 04:00

good luck finding working AGP cards.

and is not supported by any one on earth not for sure XP

XP is 20 years old and dead. zero support.

XP does not support all GPU cards directly , how can it, ?   MS ended Xp support in 2014, 6 years ago.

they are not bound by any laws to provide drivers for all GPU cards made on earth for sure AGP,

why not ask the card maker for help,  it is there card, ask them but they will say sorry, zero support .

why not run your chess app in window10 , in compatible mode (32b up any 16bit apps)

ever try that, it is super easy to do , ask. (or google it)

by a  nice used DELL 3020 or 9020 spend $50 (used no HDD) and put $20 SSD in at and run w10-64bit OS>

end the pain of legacy endless death and delays, you can not fight evolution, you can try but will be a long ROW TO HOE.

XP is 100% dead and is  virus magnet like nothing else on earth.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 6th, 2020 07:00

Stock power supply for this model is TOO SMALL.

And it DOES NOT WORK with newer PFC power supplies.

You would be better off looking for an OPTIPLEX GX620 Tower.

Those models have PCI-E power and they have both IDE and SATA connections.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/REFURBISHED-Optiplex-GX620-Tower-400GB-HDD-4GB-Ram-DVD-Rom-Windows-7-Home/404045744

Any new video card you buy will be pci-e  2.X which means you can use with this model as well as in the future.

AGP is End of life DEAD.

GX620 tower models run everything from MSDOS all the way thru WINDOWS 10 just fine.

No Events found!