Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2022 09:00

Dimension 9200, I have wiped my hard drive?

I have Dell Dimension 9200 Vista 32 bit and I thought I could go to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with a clean install (wiped my drive). I did get it installed and activated, but soon learned that I cannot get it updated because Microsoft updates for windows 7 is no longer operating. Is there anything I can do to salvage the situation? If I bought windows 10 64 bit and installed that would I be ok doing that? I bought my Dimension 9200 from new with a Vista OS (I still have the disk) and I have upgraded it so I can use 64bit OS. Thanks in advance for any help. 

513 Posts

May 9th, 2022 08:00

@joyspatch 

Last time I checked maybe a month ago Windows Update on Windows 7 was working fine. There are a few updates you need to install before using Windows Update on Windows 7. If you must use Windows 7, I suggest using it offline. But if you must use it online use google chrome or edge. I have a feeling next year when Windows 8 loses support chrome or edge will no longer work. 

There is also 3rd party updater called Simplix UpdatePack 

This will only update you to January 2020. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

May 8th, 2022 09:00

This is the end of life statement from Microsoft. To salvage the situation you can install Windows 10. However Dell has no drivers available on the 9200 support page so you would have to attempt to source out drivers from various manufacturers of hardware. And this forum post may help, especially the comments from @ejn63 . The performance would be abysmal. Keep in mind though that your system is approaching 15 years old and in the long run it may be better to consider upgrading to a new system.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2022 01:00

Hi, thanks for your reply and the link. I  have managed to get my system up and running again.  Everything is all running smoothly again. So happy.

513 Posts

May 14th, 2022 06:00

@joyspatch 

I am glad you got it running. Just be careful when using Windows 7 online.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 14th, 2022 07:00

There is NO FREE UPGRADE from VISTA Business to 7. If you have a 7 pro key you can install 10 with the I don't have a key option then update using the 7 pro key.  If you don't actually have a key then buy a windows 8.0 pro upgrade and install 10 pro with the ISO or USB Flash and then activate using the 8.0 key.

There are ZERO updates for ANY version of windows from 32 to 64 bit or the other way round.

The key does not care.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49948422

There are NO 7 or 8 or 10 drivers for the 9200 but the VISTA WDDM 32 bit or 64 bit drivers work JUST FINE with 7 or 8 or 10.

dimension 9200 drivers

Not supported does not mean not working just fine. for 7 or 8 or 10 or 11.

WDDM 1.0 VISTA DriversWDDM 1.0 VISTA Drivers

8 Posts

May 20th, 2022 01:00

Thanks, I have Norton installed and generally I am just a very cautious light internet user. The system is working well; new Microsoft updates are coming up too which I am downloading just fine. I have done malware check too, so all good. Thanks for your overall help. 

No Events found!