Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

9 Posts

May 21st, 2020 15:00

Frequently crashing Dell Precision T1700

Hi everyone, I'm having a serious problem with my Dell Precision T1700.
It keeps crashing, usually when any USB pen drive is connected to it. After it crashes I need to disconnect and turn off the PSU, do the power reset (sometimes couple of times) and then it usually starts working.
I've tried to disconnect most of the components including all drives and USB front panel ports and it's still happening, definetly most of the time when a USB pen drive is connected (I'm in a process of testing the PC without any USB pen drives connected to it).
Does anyone know what could be the problem or what is the next thing that should be tested? I did some research and after a lot of testing it seems to be down to faulty PSU (or the 24pin to 8pin adapter), the motherboard (which would be the worst case) or the 24pin to 8pin power adapter connector from Amazon that I use with my Antec 550W Plus PSU (original Dell's PSU has only two connectors, one 8pin for power and one 4pin for CPU).
Could it be caused by that generic 24pin to 8pin power adpater?
Is there a decent budget PSU (at least 550W) that would be compatible with Dell's 8 pin mobo power port?

5.6K Posts

May 21st, 2020 17:00

Precisions are in the Workstations forum.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 21st, 2020 17:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts!

Look in Windows Event Viewer for any errors logged around the time of a crash, which might point you in the right direction...

You could open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator, and at the prompt, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter. Watch for any error messages in the CMD window when sfc is done, or close the CMD window and go to Start>Run, type in: %windir%\Logs\CBS and press Enter. When the folder opens, look at the latest log file for warnings or errors.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 21st, 2020 18:00

14 Posts

May 21st, 2020 18:00

I have the same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Then the problem fixed.

Meanwhile, I suspect the reason your system is not booting with the USB drive connected is that you have the BIOS set to boot from a USB device. So go into the BIOS (F2) and check boot drives. You should normally have the CD drive as a priority and your hard drive second. Be sure to disable any USB options. Then you need to restart the computer.

I hope it will work for you.

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 08:00

Computer is booting from SSD, the problem is that it keeps crashing when there is an USB drive connected to it. Then I need usually need to do like 3-5 power resets to get it working again. It seems to be working fine when no pen drive is connected - then it doesn't crash

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 09:00

Is 550W not enough? I only use 1x SSD, 2x 1TB HDD and GTX760-DC20C-2GD5. Do I really need to get PSU with more Watts?
It actually seems that it doesn't crash when no pen drive is  connected. As soon as I connect any pen drive it crashes within couple of hours and keeps crashing.
I think it maybe caused by the 24pin to 8pin power cable converter, that I use although it supposed to be for that Dell model (Precision T1700) and has good reviews on Amazon, nobody has reported any issues
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Optiplex-Power-Supply-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B0758H3WVX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=24+to+8+Pin+ATX+Dell+Optiplex+3020+7020+Power+Supply+Motherboard+Adapter+Cable&qid=1590157724&sr=8-1 

My current PSU (Antec Basiq Power 550W Plus) has a 8 pin connector that fits inside that connector on Dell's motherboard, but for some reason it doesn't work (nothing happens when I connect it and I try to turn it on) 
If my current PSU is not powerful enough than I will probably get a stronger (like that EVGA - 700W 80 Plus Bronze), but if 550W is enough than maybe I will just get new converter from Moddyi
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html
Just wanted to ask if there are any drawbacks of using this sort of converter (since it has only 8pins instead of 24pins)?
Also if I can't get hold of that EVGA PSU - how can I find a different PSU that will work with that Dell motherboard without the converter? What does it need to have, what do I need to look for?

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 09:00

I've done the sfc /scannow and it didn't find anything wrong
(Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations)

In the log files I don't thing there were any warnings and only errors where like this:
Not able to resolve capability:Hello.Face.Migration.18331~~~~0.0.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
and I don't think it's related to those crashes

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 10:00

work with that Dell motherboard without the converter 

There is an optional 365w power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Precision-Supply-HU365EM-00/dp/B016PLIUFY

Models that have Dell GTX 1060 use that.  This unit DOES NOT supply enough power however to run a GTX 760.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications

There is also a guy who made his own adapter from scratch.

https://raphtec.wordpress.com/projects/dell-poweredge-t20-atx-power-supply-adapter/

Dell OEM full height but short video cards work with Dell OEM 365w PSU =
7VK45 365w, Huntkey
T1M43 365w, Delta

DVP9W Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB, 75w
36V90 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060,  3GB, DVI-D/3DP/HDMI, 120w
24K8H Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050,  2GB, 75w

9 Posts

May 26th, 2020 10:00

I will use original Dell PSU for testing if everything else fails. I'm just finishing installing the latest chipset and BIOS drivers, hopefully that will solve the issue.

So there is no EVGA\Corsair\Anker or any other good brand that have a PSU with that Dell power connector?

9 Posts

May 26th, 2020 14:00

Just a quick update; after installing latest BIOS and chipset drivers - it's still crashing, even without a pen drive connected to it

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 26th, 2020 16:00

Which form factor, SFF or MT? Maybe I missed it, but did you mention the version of Windows?

Did you look in the Windows Event Viewer for any errors around the time of these crashes?

You might want to remove the add-in video card and connect your monitor to either an onboard DP or VGA port, and run it for a while.

Have you reseated the RAM modules in their slots? Have you removed all RAM modules, except the one in DIMM1 and see if it works without crashing? Then swap each of the other modules into DIMM1 and test. If they all work in DIMM1, test each of the remaining modules, one at a time, in DIMM 2, etc...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 29th, 2020 10:00

@woyteck23  - Kernel-power Error 41 is a generic error. It just means the PC turned off without being shut down normally in Windows. In other words, it crashed. Any other error listed around time of a crash?

I understand you need the add-in video card to use multiple monitors, but you could remove it and just test one monitor to see if the PC still crashes - or not...

At least that might tell you if you're heading in the right direction, and let you use it, but with only one monitor, pending delivery of that converter...  One monitor working reliably is way better than random crashes with multiple monitors connected...

9 Posts

May 29th, 2020 10:00

It's a medium tower desktop running Windows 10.
I checked Windows Event Viewer and it shows Kernel-power Error 41.
I've tested and reseated RAM and it didn't help.
I would remove the GPU, but I have 2 monitors and TV which I use everyday and I won't be able to connect them all using motherboard's graphic card.
I still think that it may be the PSU 24 to 8-pin adapter that I'm using. I would get a proper converter from Moddiy, but because of the covid it can take up to 2 months for a delivery to UK.

9 Posts

June 6th, 2020 17:00

I've installed back the original Dell's PSU and the graphic card that I bought it with (Nvidia K2000) and it works perfectly fine, hasn't crashed again, what I actually expected. But I really need to be able to use a better GPU (like my GTX760) and that PSU will not support it. It's either the 24 to 8 pin converter (most possible in my opinion), PSU (rather not since it's a good brand and it worked fine with my other computer) or the motherboard.
I will probably order a proper adapter from Moddyi (but again it may take up to 2 months for a delivery to UK because of the lockdown) and then test it again with my Anker PSU and GTX760 GPU and if it still keeps crashing I will probably sell the desktop with original parts (which all work fine) and get something different (lesson learned to pay attention what connectors PC's MoBo has :), as I need a PC with better GPU for occasional gaming. Thanks again for all your help

No Events found!