Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2020 00:00

Fresh Windows 10 reset on Inspiron 5675 won't restart/shutdown

Hi everyone. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my issue, because I've spent a week trying to sort this with no luck.

I've been using my 5675 problem free since it was new. This past month I've run into blue screens while playing Rocket League a few times. I decided to wipe everything and start fresh. My important data is backed up on an external drive and unplugged. I used the Dell OS Recovery app to make a USB stick to recover my 5675 with service tag . Everything appears to work great. Windows 10 has around a dozen updates straight away and not all the proper drivers installed. Once the updates download, they are all pending install of other updates or a reboot. 

Now, the issue as far as I can tell. If I try to sign out/restart/shutdown it briefly begins to close Windows, and then hangs on this screen:

Closing 1 app and restarting

To go back and save your work, click Cancel and finish what you need to.

Task Host Window

Task Host is stopping background tasks. (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot Required)

Similar to this screen https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ILni3TO6ITc/hqdefault.jpg

I can't sort out why it's hanging, and I can't restart in order to complete the updates and driver installs. It appears there was a similar issue a couple of years ago after a Windows update, but none of the fixes I found from back then have helped me. Any thought? Thank you.

-Dusty

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 19:00

UPDATE

7/2 2:05pm
I hit shutdown anyways. Screen went black, but power to desktop never went off so I did a hard shutdown by holding down the power button.
I unplugged the desktop for 30 seconds then plugged back in. Startup proceeded to an 'installing updates screen', then a 'cleaning up' screen,
then started windows after 10 minutes or so where I could log in.
Upon login I had a small message open. The window said "System Settings Change" and the message was:
"Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these to take effect."

2:25pm I tried a restart and it went smoothly. Once logged in, there were still 7 pending Windows updates.
6 of them have a status: pending install, and then the last is hanging on status: installing - 100%
This update is 2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4497165)
I went to PowerShell (Admin) and ran sfc /scannow
It did not find any integrity violations.

2:51pm I attempted a restart. It went straight to Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer (with spinning dots)
3:58pm Still at same message with spinning dots. Hard shutdown followed by F12 boot menu Diagnostics test.
4:04pm No problems have been found with the system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests? (I'm clicking yes)
6:10pm All tests passed. Validation: 66283

7:52pm I was able to successfully restart 2 or 3 times. I believe it was able to install some updates and drivers,
but I still have 7 pending under Windows updates. (possibly different updates)
Currently, following a restart I am hanging on the "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer (with spinning dots)" again.
I'll let it do it's thing for an hour or so then hard shutdown and see what's new.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 21:00

Task Host is stopping background tasks.
\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot Required

Microsoft added a new option in the Accounts section
(Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options)
called

"Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up
my device after an update or restart.".

the option doesn't really work
turn this option off and it should fix the task bar/start menu issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468253/windows-10-sign-in-options-and-privacy#finishsetup

Turn CRAP offTurn CRAP off

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 03:00

I've had that warning several times when shutting down or restarting, sometimes on restart for updates.  I click restart and it doesn't seem to hurt anything, it completes the updates or just restarts without problems.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 12:00

What version of Windows do you have, 1903, v1909, v2004?

Do you have the latest drivers and chipset drivers installed? Go to the Intel download site and use their wizard to look for newer drivers for chipset, etc.

What video card do you have? Do you have the latest video driver from AMD or NVidia site for your card?

Try disconnecting all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard. See if that avoids the problem, which may tell you which device is the problem.

Several (older) threads here and here about this problem on Microsoft forum, so see if there's anything useful there that applies to your version of Windows.

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 14:00

So this morning I hit 'shutdown anyways' and while the screen went black, the desktop didn't lose power. I did a hard reset and it has rebooted and restarted once normally since. Currently trying to sort all these windows updates. Fingers crossed.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 20:00

You may need to turn Fast Start off in Win 10.  When Fast Start is enabled, the PC never fully shuts down, it just goes into some sort of hibernation state.

BUT, some Windows updates can only be installed if the PC starts from a full shutdown. So with Fast Start enabled, the PC gets hung up trying to install this kind of update. Read more from Microsoft.

Turn off Fast Start in Win 10:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click Hardware and Sound
  3. Under Power Options, click Change what power buttons do
  4. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
  5. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck Fast Start
  6. Save the change and reboot

See if that helps...

EDIT: And yes, I know that screen says enabling Fast Start is "recommended", probably by the same fools who created updates that can't be installed when Fast Start is enabled.

7 Posts

UPDATE

9:32pm Guess it wasn't hanging. After a long restart (1hr or so) and a couple more that were only minutes, I seem to be caught up with Windows Updates. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to start installing programs and copy my data back over without issues. As far as I can tell, unplugging the machine for 30 seconds after a hard shutdown was the only thing I did differently. 

7 Posts

Hi and thank you for the advice. Disabling fast start was among the previous solutions I tried. No luck. Over the course of today and a half dozen or so long restarts, I seem to have caught up with Windows Updates. I'm optimistic I'm back in business. This afternoon after a hard shutdown, I unplugged the machine for 30 seconds which I hadn't done before. Could that have really made the difference? Anyways, cheers for taking the time.

-Dusty

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 22:00

Windows will try and backout updates if shutdown was unexpected aka you un plugged.

Some updates require many restarts.

The windows.old is 27 to 35 gigs of wasted space so i use cleanmgr.exe to remove it.

I still like the XP Bliss background so I have to put that back after every feature update.

Many updates some must be done then restart and moreMany updates some must be done then restart and moreI also run CleanMGR to remove the previous after all the updates are done.I also run CleanMGR to remove the previous after all the updates are done.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2022 00:00

Task Host is an Windows program, and not malware or virus. There is no need to be worried about your system being damaged because of it. Task Host ensures that the programs running before were shut down correctly to avoid corrupting data and programs after shutting the system down.

I highly recommend closing all programs running before you reboot or shut down your computer. If you are unsure that there were no running programs prior to shutting down, you may take the following steps to resolve the " problem.

Answer Source - http://coverjunction.com/fix-task-host-window-is-stopping-background-tasks/

2 Posts

June 29th, 2022 06:00

Cause

The issue happens when an irksome update record keeps the framework from both refreshing itself and closing down.

Solution - Changing wpnuserservice esteem in Registry

1 - Search Registry proofreader in Windows search box.

2 - Now, click on Registry manager to open it.

3 - Now, Once the library supervisor opens up, go to the accompanying way by reordering the way in address bar of vault proofreader.

Presently, in the right side find a thing named start.

5-Double snap on start.

6-Change the worth information to 4. 7 - Now, restart your PC.

Cause

The issue happens when an irksome update record keeps the framework from both refreshing itself and closing down.

Solution - Changing wpnuserservice esteem in Registry

1 - Search Registry proofreader in Windows search box.

2 - Now, click on Registry manager to open it.

3 - Now, Once the library supervisor opens up, go to the accompanying way by reordering the way in address bar of vault proofreader.

Presently, in the right side find a thing named start.

5-Double snap on start.

6-Change the worth information to 4. 7 - Now, restart your PC.

Your concern will be tackled.

Answer Source - http://coverjunction.com/fix-task-host-window-is-stopping-background-tasks/

No Events found!