Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2020 19:00

G5 5000: To Replace CPU Fan or Not

I just bought a new Dell G5 5000 desktop and it came with the giant heat sync shown in the pictures on the site (not that little one I see on other people have received with their computers).

Here is the question: Should I replace it with the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo or leave it alone?

Now let me tell you about what I purchased, what I’ve modified so far and the adventure I had getting here….

What I purchased was:
Intel i7-10700KF
16 GB RAM
256 M.2 SSD
GeForce RTX 2070 Super
No glass side

And what I’ve done to it so far:
1. Replaced the stock memory with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB in slots 3 & 4
     a. They would not work in slots 1 & 2 for some reason?
2. Replaced the stock M.2 with a 1 TB Samsung Evo Plus
3. Replaced the stock WiFi/Bluetooth card with WHAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE an Intel AX200 but was actually an AC 8265!
     a. I am going to replace it what I ACTUALLY ordered later. 
4. Replaced the back case fan with a Noctua NF-A9 PWM
5. Added a Noctua NF-A9 PWM for a front case fan using zip ties to hold it in place.
     a. I saw a post where @Noorss put the original rear case fan in the front. I was able to trick the BIOS by       doing that initially then I put in the Noctua and my system boots with no errors.

So that is where I am at so far. All that is left is this Cooler Master CPU fan I have sitting her on my desk.

At the moment I can BARELY hear the CPU and GPU fan. Note that I have yet to put it under load but will do so soon.

I guess the real questions are (in comparison to this stock CPU cooler):
Will the TX3 EVO eliminate the CPU fan noise that I hear while sitting at idle?
Will the TX3 EVO be less noisy under load?
Will the TX3 EVO provide better thermals for the CPU?

P.S. This is going to replace the XPS 8930 that I currently have.

IMG_5696.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2021 20:00

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000510SS/

pulls air in from front and exhausts out back

Sata to molex needed to power

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-15-Pin-Female-Sleeved-Adapter/dp/B07CQ64VXT

slot fan.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2021 21:00

Those are very old concept which is why they use Molex power. 

https://www.startech.com/en-us/computer-parts/fancase

They aren't very loud and can be helpful pulling more air in from the front.

• Ball bearing fan design
  • Standard (full) profile expansion slot design
  • Inline LP4 Molex power connectors

WHERE TO BUY LINKS

CDW

Amazon

Zones

Insight

PC Connection

SHI USA

Tiger Direct USA

Newegg Business

Provantage

NewEgg.com

Softchoice USA

Mac Mall

Allied Electronics & Automation

Markit - US

fancase.main.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2021 05:00

XPS 8940 Dell G5 5090 CPU Cooler fan with heatsink 0VWD01 MWXCG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303960303954

• 

25.1K Posts

August 20th, 2020 13:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

September 19th, 2020 08:00

@GameCrusader  Have you stress tested it yet and, if so, what temps did it reach? If it doesn't get very hot while under max load, I wouldn't bother swapping the CPU cooler.

1 Message

October 1st, 2020 00:00

Hey,

Good layout. I wish I had that big of a radiator to begin with, got a small one with a fan. 

Curious, what is your PSU wattage? I have got a 500 watt which I hope will last me. Wish I could change it in the future.

5 Posts

February 21st, 2021 19:00

That setup looks great! I have picked up the G5-5000 recent also!

The specs are

rtx 2060 super

1 tb nvme ssd

500w psu

16 gigs ram 3200mhz

i7 10700f 

I just purchased the tx3 evo and will be installing soon hopefully without errors

i was just wondering how you "tricked" the bios to install the second noctua fan. id like to do that also! when turning off your computer fully and turning it back on you dont have any issues?

5 Posts

February 21st, 2021 19:00

Are those stock coolers for sale with the larger radiator?

February 22nd, 2021 04:00

@Jules T  It appears that one reason why Noctua fans are triggering BIOS errors on some computers but not others is differences in motherboards and BIOS versions. It looks like G5 5000 computers with motherboard 0M6C7G, version A00, running BIOS version 1.1.1 dated 11/3/20, do not trigger a BIOS error, while G5 5090s with mobo ODXJD9 and BIOS 1.4.0 do trigger a POST error.

Check out the discussion in this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-G5-5090-CPU-cooler/m-p/7812968/highlight/true#M26206 

February 22nd, 2021 12:00

@joeldubsI also have a 500W PSU. You are correct in that it can't be swapped (at least not without some creativity). 

@Jules TI only ever received the BIOS error when I first turn on the PC after installing the new fan(s). It will do its test which takes about 5 minutes then I never see it again.

A little update on this project. I DID end up switching out the CPU cooler with the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. I went the extra step and replaced the stock Cooler Master fan with an Noctua NF-A9 PWM. With this combination of case/CPU fans, the only fan I can clearly hear is the GPU fan. 

In short, my fan situation is like this:

Front                         Middle/CPU                       Back

NF-A9 PWM  ->  TX3 EVO w/NF-A9 PWM  ->  NF-A9 PWM  ->  Exhaust

NOTE: The Front and Back fans are using a fan splitter.

My last and final project for this Dell is to replace the stock 2070 Super with a 3060 Ti Founders Edition or MAYBE a 3070 Founders Edition. The Founders Edition air flow is good for this style case. The 3070 looks to only consume 5 more watts then the 2070 Super, so it's still in the boarderline range for this size power supply. But I think the 3060 Ti would be more suitable for this build and its performance is close enough to the 2070 Super to not notice the difference.

The real challenge is actually getting a 3060 Ti or 3070 FE  = \

5 Posts

February 24th, 2021 12:00

Finding a nice GPU in the future for this will be an interesting challenge haha! 

So far I've installed the rear noctua fan. I managed to fit a 120mm fan where the HDD drive used to be. 

Not having any issues with startups or anything. It has increased the airflow quite a bit. I have ordered the Noctua NH-U9S in hopes to keep the i7 under 70c with load.  

I will try and keep updating. hope all is well with your G5

290 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 06:00

@GameCrusader ... In the picture, is that the standard Dell cooler that comes with the G5-5090's ? Am I missing something or is there no fan with it ? 

Thanks, Steve

31 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 05:00

@SteveK318 That cooler is factory but only on K model processors. It's actually a two piece radiator with a fan in the middle, pointed towards the back of the case. The plate you see in OP's picture comes off to service the fan.

@GameCrusader I went with the Noctua NH-U9S, with an extra 9 series fan on the back to make it push pull. I'm still using the stock case fan on the back of the case. This time of year my idle temps are rarely over 25C and the computer is barely audible a few feet away. The real test for you will be running Prime95 for a few minutes to see what your configuration sounds like when the processor is hot. The K series heatsink might not be so bad, but if you install the coolermaster it will likely be quieter and run cooler.

In Prime95, temps won't go over 85C while my 10700F is in turbo boost (it pulls a full 221W) but power throttling kicks in after about 30 seconds, where it's pulling ~120W. Temps in this mode don't go over 70C and the fan noise, even with all three running, is barely noticeable across the room. You'll hear more GPU fan noise while gaming that you will hear case/CPU fans, I imagine.  (note that before, with the puny non-K stock cooler, temps would hit high 90s within 3-5 seconds of Prime95, and bounce off the 100C mark soon after. My system was thermal throttling within 10 seconds, and even light gaming was giving me 90c+ temps)

290 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 07:00

Thanks @J1mmyD33 !  Now I see it ! Does it mount the same way the wimpy Dell cooler does ? I mean using the standoffs on the case instead of a backplate. Just wanting to learn if it would just be possible to just use remove the wimpy one and replace it with the beefy one. Or is that why there are 2 different variants of motherboards ?

Thanks, Steve

March 8th, 2021 09:00

@J1mmyD33Where you able to screw the NH-U9S into the motherboard (assuming same as I did with the Cooler Master)? I didn't even consider about the Noctua. Maybe I'll switch mine out like yours with a push/pull.

What GPU do you have?

No Events found!