Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

6 Posts

January 5th, 2019 11:00

Help restoring Dell Inspiron 545

Hi,

I am trying to restore my Dad’s PC after it seems to have decided to stop working. Windows struggles to boot up at all and will usually go to a blue system restore screen.

I have tried the various restore options and even created a Windows 10 boot disk on a USB drive. Every time I attempt to restore/repair/install windows I get various blue screen error messages including:

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN EQUAL

UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

SYSTEM THREAD EXPECTION NOT HANDLED

SYSTEM SERVICE EXPEPTION

KERNAL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

All the data on the hard drive has been backed up so I am happy to try a drastic solution like totally wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows. What I am unsure about is whether this is a hardware or software problem. I was considering buying a new hard drive and starting from there but am unsure whether this is a hard drive problem or not.

Any advice on what I should try next would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2019 12:00

Several of those errors are memory problems.  But, it may be because of how you are trying to install. 

Here is the procedure from the tenforums.com.  See if this helps to do a "clean" install.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

6 Posts

January 5th, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the reply. I am installing Windows as per the link you provided and I keep getting the Blue Screen Errors during the installation.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2019 14:00

Win 10 is not validated by Dell for this model. That doesn't mean Win 10 won't work on this model, just its not supported by Dell.  There are only Dell drivers for XP/Vista/Win 7.   Some versions of Win 10 will not install on older hardware.  I know there are compatibility issues with V1803 and V1809 with some older hardware.

If you are trying to install 1803 or 1809 that may be the problem.  An older version may install OK but I don't know if those older versions are still available.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 5th, 2019 15:00

1803 works fine when installed from a burned DVD.

Many versions do not install fine when installed via USB.

The errors you are getting suggest BAD RAM BAD POWER SUPPLY.

Which means this is not

worth fixing.

You would be better off with a TOWER model that already has Windows 7 or 8 or 10 on it.

https://www.lambroinc.com/desktops

The current models I recommend are OPTIPLEX 790, 7010, 9020 etc.

My 990 has been upgraded to 32 gigs of ram and a good GPU.

Runs everything just fine.

OPTIPLEX 990OPTIPLEX 990

No Events found!