Highlighted
NCGuy
Bronze

I need a clear answer on the Dell 3670

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop...

I have asked this about (2) 3670 models and I got conflicting answers about the motherboard on a 3670. I tried looking up manuals, but they do not list the power supply or the RAM limits on the motherboard.

a) i7-8700

b) 16GB

1) I have gotten conflicting views on whether the 3670 comes with 240W or 290W power supplies.

I may want to add a GTX 1030 later on if the integrated HD 630 is not sufficient

3) Is the RAM easily upgradeable to 32GB?

One person said no - it is limited to 16GB RAM.  Another person says it goes up to 64GB.  Which is it?

4) If it turns out that  I do have to upgrade RAM or add a video card, will I have to get a new Power Supply?

You may ask: why don't I go with a XPS?

1) This Inspiron may be perfect for me

2) This Inspiron is under 15pounds. An XPS would be much heavier.

3) I may not need to upgrade after all; but if I do, I need to know what my options are.

Can I get a clear answer?

What is the maximum RAM on this? 

Since this Inspiron runs an i7-8700, then it has to have a 370 motherboard.  I find it hard to believe a 370 motherboard is limited to 16GB, as one person told me.

And is the shipped RAM one or two sticks?  1x16 or 2x8

Can it support a GTX 1030 if I need more graphics power?

This Inspiron be perfect as is, but I want options.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tesla1856
Diamond

Re: I need a clear answer on the Dell 3670

@NCGuy wrote:

1) I have gotten conflicting views on whether the 3670 comes with 240W or 290W power supplies.

I may want to add a GTX 1030 later on if the integrated HD 630 is not sufficient

50watts would not make a big difference ... anything under 300watts is considered "small". Looks like some configs ship with GTX-1030, so that should not be a problem.

As for most of the other questions, seems like they should be answered by "Sales-Config" page and/or PDF Manuals.

Try to find a base-config that is fully configurable (not all are).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

This 3rd time you asked essentially the same questions, eg, here and here , and you got answers to a lot of your questions here.

Keep in mind that this is a user-to-user forum and we only know the same info that's publicly available to you. You'd be better off contacting Sales directly either by clicking the Chat pop-out tab on the right edge of the Products page or by phone at 1-800-433-2392.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
NCGuy
Bronze

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I will try to contact tech dept by email.

You all have been wonderful, but I have gotten incomplete or conflicting answers.

So I will contact by email to see if they can give me a spec sheet.

THANKS!

0 Kudos
NCGuy
Bronze

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I will try to contact tech dept by email.

You all have been wonderful, but I have gotten incomplete or conflicting answers.

So I will contact by email to see if they can give me a spec sheet.

THANKS!   

0 Kudos
Mudslide
Copper

I just ordered the Inspiron 3670, with the full intent of putting a spare Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 in it the minute it arrives.  It lists it having a 290W ps, that is what I am counting on.

3670.jpg

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

GT1030 uses 40W not 75W like the 1050 so its not an issue.  You WILL HAVE to turn SECURE BOOT OFF.

When installing an after-market graphics card into a Windows PC with UEFI secure boot enabled, the system may not boot.  This is true for ANY PC not just Dell.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Mudslide
Copper

Thank you for that information re: turning secure boot off, speedstep.  I will be prepared for that scenario.

0 Kudos