Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 1st, 2018 13:00

Inspirion 5675 gaming desktop audio

Question about my new Inspirion 5675 gaming desktop. Due to HDMI version differences between 5675 and my AVR, the pc boots very slowly when connected to AVR while trying to shake hands with AVR (no signal message on 4k tv) but,does boot up (no Dell logo,just straight to win 10 log screen) and all works ver well other than not being able to access BIOS. I am getting to my problem lol.

I connected the pc directly to 4k tv and as expected booting is normal and can enter BIOS and so on. My problem is that the pc will not send 5.1 audio to the tv for it to pass it through to AVR through the optical out on the tv. My tv can do this as demonstrated by xbox 360 connected this way.

Is this a limitation of the pc or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? I'm new to desktops so not very experienced with graphics/audio cards and whatever.

AMD Radeon RX 560 Graphics
AMD Ryzen 5 processor

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 1st, 2018 15:00

I don't have any of this, but I will try to help since I've had various HTPC and a fairly elaborate Home Theater for many years now.

First, list make-and-model for all devices in HDMI-chain (including AVR/Amp, etc.). Also, are you watching your HDMI cables (rated HDMI version, length, thick-gauge, NO-Redmere, etc.)

Someone had a similar problem in Alienware thread a while back. It seemed to have something to do with the 4K-HDTV and the HDMI Link Negotiation (and maybe HDCP) going on ... on the system as a whole. IIRC, it was a setting somewhere.

Good trouble-shooting connecting it directly the the 4K-HDTV and seeing it work (well, as good as it can). But yes, you were connecting it right before ... the AVR is usually "in the middle" (everything connects to it) ... at least with Full-HD 1080p systems, that's how you do it.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2018 16:00

It's not a cabling or connection issue.when pc was hooked to the avr the avr said it was receiving pcm. That would tell me that the pc was decoding the DD audio from the games. If that's the case then I would think the pc should be able to be set to bitstream. This may make sense as I think uncompressed 5.1 can't be delivered by optical cable. Which tells me why  have to set my tv's audio out to bitstream for multi channel.Like I said I'm a former laptop guy with know experience with desktop audio/video.

No Events found!