Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 24-3455, Black screen after trying factory reset

Hi guys,

I was trying to factory reset this computer yesterday and was having trouble.  It would tell me it was unable to and to try again.  After a few tries it finally starting to act like it was doing something and when I came back in the computer screen was black.  I am unsure if it did a complete reset or if it went dark while resetting.

My problem is the screen is black when I turn on the computer, no Dell logo/no startup.  The power button LED is on and I can hear the fan whirring.  I have tried to unplug from the back, hold down the power button for 30 secs and then power on.  I have tried the button for turning the screen on/off.  The one issue I have is I only have the wireless keyboard/mouse that came with the computer.  Both were working fine yesterday when I was trying to reset.  I also held down the up volume button along with the power button while off and I get the colors white/black/redgreen/blue. 

The only thing I can think is something went wrong with the reset. Does anyone know any other things to try?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 10:00

I'm not sure what happened on the factory reset.  

However since it does not power up correctly, try resetting the CMOS Memory (BIOS) by temporarily removing the battery. 

With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 coin cell battery located on the motherboard for AT LEAST 10 MINUTES.  Reinstall the battery, observing polarity, and then power on and see if this helps.

May 3rd, 2018 11:00

No change, still just a black screen.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 13:00

So the AIO (All-In-One) LCD BIST (built in self test) passed.

For testing purposes, you should also get a wired USB mouse and keyboard.
* Power cable is plugged into the AIO but AIO is off
* Connect the wired USB mouse and keyboard to the AIO USB ports
* Power the AIO on, press F2 on the wired keyboard. Does anything happen?

* You could also try connecting an external monitor via HDMI to HDMI cable to the AIO HDMI out port. Then power both on, press the Screen-Off Button/Input source selection to switch to HDMI out see if anything appears on the external monitor when you press F2 on the wired keyboard

May 5th, 2018 14:00

No luck.  Plugged 2nd monitor into it, and it says no signal coming from computer.  Tried with a wired mouse and keyboard and it is not responding. 

This computer has been the biggest waste of money.  It has been slow and buggy out of the box.  Was trying to factory reset to give to a nephew so he could just do basic school work.  Now it is just an expensive paper weight. The service tag is , and of course it is out of warranty.  

Was just hoping someone had the same problem and could figure out what was going on with it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 7th, 2018 10:00

Did you try pressing the Screen-Off button on the right edge of the screen (#16 here) in case the screen somehow got shut off?

That same button may also cycle between Off / On / HDMI-Out so you might try doing this with the external HDMI monitor connected. Power on and press the button once then  wait a few sec to see if there's any response, then press again/wait and once more. If you're lucky...

3 Posts

July 31st, 2019 12:00

Why  keyboard is not detected ? no lights caps Lock Num lk

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 21:00

@jaV2742 - Do you have an Inspiron 24 3455?

Is this a wireless keyboard? Have you tried replacing its batteries? If it is wireless, have you tried re-syncing the keyboard and dongle and/or a different keyboard? Have you tried a different USB port on PC?

3 Posts

Yes I have an Inspiron 24 3455. Wired mouse and wired keyboard , tried all usb port one by one Mouse lights up in all and keyboard in none no caplocks numlk tried different wired keyboard. Is this mean Keyboard not detected and no use of hammering F2, F12 ? Tried removing cmos battery jumper and also diconnected Screen , hard disk and dvd power. LCD BIST test runs and never ends changing colors. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

If you reboot and immediately press F2, can you open BIOS setup, or F12 to open the boot menu?

You could try clearing BIOS:

Power off and unplug:

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec:

Open case and remove motherboard battery. See Service Manual for instructions (https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-24-3455-aio_service-manual_en-us.pdf) Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reinstall battery (time for a fresh one?)

Close up and reboot.

NOTE: Working inside an AIO can be difficult, so read and follow instructions carefully and you do this at your own risk. If this is beyond your techie capabilities, maybe you have a geeky friend who can help..

3 Posts

Is this video card failure ? Blank screen LCD BIST OK and external monitor says no signal. Should i try external video card if possible ? Thanks 

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/inspiron-15r-5537-video-card-problem-amd-8850/td-p/6113470

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2019 11:00

@jaV2742  - You never confirmed you have the Inspiron 24 3455 All-In-One that the OP has.

And now you're saying you also have a blank screen too? All you mentioned until now is the keyboard isn't working...   How can I possibly help you if you don't provide all the details right from the beginning...?

If your screen is blank, did you try pressing the screen button on the edge like I told Grimmett44?  Are you sure you connected the external monitor to the HDMI-OUT port on the PC? Is your monitor set to use HDMI? Some monitors are dumb and have to be told what video signal to use. If the monitor has an On-Screen Display that's opened by pressing a button(s) on the monitor, open the OSD and see if there are options to set the type of video signal it uses, and then reboot the PC...

If your PC isn't under warranty, you may want to contact Dell Out of Warranty Repair for an estimate to fix it.

No Events found!