Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 7th, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 24-3459 AIO, no power

I have a 15 month old  Inspiron 3459 AIO.  A day ago, it turned off and now it wont turn on.  No fan, no boot nothing.

The power adapter has a green light showing on it.  The computer shows no lights of any kind, no fan, etc  

Here is what troubleshooting has occurred:

1).  Un plugged and plugged into different outlet.

2).  Unplugged everything; pressed power button for 30 seconds; plugged everything back in.

The green light is on the power supply, but the computer shows no signs of working.

I am thinking of trying a new power supply as next step.  The current power adapter is Dell # HA65NS5-00.  It is 19.5 V and 3.34 Amp output.  

I have a Dell laptop adapter that provides 19.5 V and 4.62 amp output.  It is PA-10 Family.

Would it be ok to try it using this adapter?  I thought since it is bigger, it would be ok.

Thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 7th, 2018 17:00

Be careful because that other PSU has higher amp output. You don't want to fry things...

And/or you might get a warning that it's not the "recommended" PSU and it might refuse to boot with that one.

April 14th, 2018 11:00

I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron 24-3459. It shut off and never came back on.

No power light.

I checked the output of the external power supply and it showed 19V before the battery in my multimeter died. I'll be checking the amperage as soon as I replace it.

I've done the recommended steps to try and get it up and running. No results.

Things to know:

1. We had power fluctuations (brown outs) earlier this week during a storm.
  2. The surge protector got turned off. That's actually how the PC got shut off. I've been unable to power-up since.

April 14th, 2018 11:00

Duplicate post. Unable to delete.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2018 12:00

@Mike.McD1971wrote:

1. I checked the output of the external power supply and it showed 19V before the battery in my multimeter died. I'll be checking the amperage as soon as I replace it.

2. Things to know:

1. We had power fluctuations (brown outs) earlier this week during a storm.
  2. The surge protector got turned off. That's actually how the PC got shut off. I've been unable to power-up since.

1. Right, initial volts check is correct. However, the volts of the SMPS really need to be checked while there is a full-load on it.

Since this is a "laptop like" power system, there is likely a "Power Board" inside (DC-DC Converter) ... so check it's outputs.

2. All my desktops (and TVs, Home-Theater, etc.) get a good UPS with not only a battery but also voltage-regulation (like a nice mid-level consumer-class APC unit). They have saved me many times. Misc smaller devices without them eventual die during storms.

Open a cheap Surge Suppressor sometime ... you will see there is basically nothing inside. Your only hope there is that they will act like a fuse and self-destruct.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2018 12:00

@Dellmachinewrote:

I am thinking of trying a new power supply as next step.  The current power adapter is Dell # HA65NS5-00.  It is 19.5 V and 3.34 Amp output.  

I have a Dell laptop adapter that provides 19.5 V and 4.62 amp output.  It is PA-10 Family.

Would it be ok to try it using this adapter?  I thought since it is bigger, it would be ok.

Since the voltages match, it should be ok. Right, higher Amps is OK because it only draws what it needs.

The AiO might still complain about it's digital-identity if there is an AC-Adapter white-list.

April 15th, 2018 07:00

1- Any idea how to load-test it without it costing me more in equipment than a new power supply?

2- I have an APC USP on my network equipment. But, yeah, I should get another one or 2.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2018 09:00

@Mike.McD1971wrote:

Any idea how to load-test it without it costing me more in equipment than a new power supply?

You measure the voltage of the SMPS output-side. When the SMPS is securely sealed, I've done it from the back-side of the main-DC-power-In connector (inside the machine itself).

If you are not a trained electronics or appliance technician, you should not be trying this. :Smile:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 08:00

@Dellmachinewrote:

1. The original cord is a  Dell # HA65NS5-00.  It is 19.5 V and 3.34 A and 65 w; 

2. I have an HP 854057-001 that has same diameter plug and plugs in but is slightly longer.  It says it is 19.5 v and 3.33 A and 65 watts. I plugged it into the computer and no light on the computer.

3. It looks like the Dell computer is 15 months old.  (3 months out of warranty).

Do you have any other troubleshooting ideas for no power at computer?  I am afraid it is a board problem.

1. OK

2. I don't know about all that. You said you wanted to use :

I have a Dell laptop adapter that provides 19.5 V and 4.62 amp output. It is PA-10 Family.

which would have been fine for a test

3. Yeah, I can't teach you to be a computer technician in a forum. Google and YouTube are good. If you have a specific question, feel free to ask. You could have a local qualified computer technician take a look at it. Best Buy is sometimes OK if they have smart techs that care.

I wrote this a while back. It's Dell focused and purposely not too technical, but it's for desktops ... the All-In-Ones are really more like a giant laptops.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

April 16th, 2018 08:00

Thanks so much for your help and input.  I was struggling trying to find the right size adapter.

The original cord is a  Dell # HA65NS5-00.  It is 19.5 V and 3.34 A and 65 w; 

I have an HP 854057-001 that has same diameter plug and plugs in but is slightly longer.  It says it is 19.5 v and 3.33 A and 65 watts.

I plugged it into the computer and no light on the computer.

It looks like the Dell computer is 15 months old.  (3 months out of warranty).

Do you have any other troubleshooting ideas for no power at computer?  I am afraid it is a board problem.

April 16th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your reply.

I am not an official technician, but I have built a dozen computers from the ground up over the last 20 years.  I'm not a novice.

I have googled this issue with not a lot of help yet.  Thus I am here.

I have tried two power adapters and the computer shows no signs of receiving power.  (Power button is not lit).  Not even possible to turn on, let alone go through boot tests.

I have tried unplugging, holding power button for 10 seconds and plugging back in with no success.  Is there any other steps than can be taken without tearing into the AIO?   I am guessing the next steps are to tear into the device.  I removed the back and nothing seems visibly wrong yet.  It may need to go to the next step of fixing it.

If there are no other steps left, I am thinking of recommending my friend purchase the extended warranty and proceed with Dell on any major hardware replacement.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 11:00

@Dellmachinewrote:

Thanks for your reply.

1. I am not an official technician, but I have built a dozen computers from the ground up over the last 20 years.  I'm not a novice.

2. I have tried two power adapters and the computer shows no signs of receiving power.  (Power button is not lit).  Not even possible to turn on, let alone go through boot tests.

3. I have tried unplugging, holding power button for 10 seconds and plugging back in with no success.  Is there any other steps than can be taken without tearing into the AIO?   I am guessing the next steps are to tear into the device.  I removed the back and nothing seems visibly wrong yet.  It may need to go to the next step of fixing it.

4. I am thinking of recommending my friend purchase the extended warranty and proceed with Dell on any major hardware replacement.

1. That's fine. At least you know how to work on stuff without blowing-it-up or making it worse. :Smile:

2. Did you understand what I typed to Mike ?

3. Yeah, something is broken. I had some time to spare, so I took the time to look at the PDF Service Manual for you. So, where is the DC-to-DC-Converter? How does the power from the SMPS get to the motherboard?

4. Oh definitely ... you should get an extended warranty on anything expensive or computerized you buy now-days. It should extended to the life of the product (3-5 years). Everything is pretty cheap and disposable now-days. Sometimes, they are the only ones who have still have access to 100% working parts and motherboards (years after the machine is built). 

My theory is it's the new lead-free solder. It's no coincidence that the military and NASA are exempt and can still get their stuff built with real solder.

April 16th, 2018 14:00

Power Connection in boardPower Connection in boardPower button on computerPower button on computer

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 16:00

Pictures don't work here (maybe, only you can see them).

1 Message

June 1st, 2019 13:00

Dear comunity,

At my Inspiration 24 3459, the power adapter has a green light showing on when i plug the adapter into the outlet, but when I plug the other side of the AC Adapter into the AIO , the green lights shut and no power , even when i press the power button.

I guess that I am facing a hardware issue instead a power cable adapter issue. Can you confirm ?

Regards

Wolmer

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 1st, 2019 17:00

@Wolmer wrote:

Dear comunity,

At my Inspiration 24 3459, the power adapter has a green light showing on when i plug the adapter into the outlet, but when I plug the other side of the AC Adapter into the AIO , the green lights shut and no power , even when i press the power button.

I guess that I am facing a hardware issue instead a power cable adapter issue. Can you confirm ?

Regards

Wolmer

This might actually be the adapter that's the problem. It shows the green light when you plug it into the wall, but the light goes off when you plug into the AIO because the adapter is failing under load.

So start simple, test a known working adapter with the right outputs for this AIO...

No Events found!