Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

July 20th, 2018 10:00

Inspiron 24-3475 AIO, brutally slow

Don't know what to do. New out of box 3 months ago and this thing is brutal. Slower than the 10 YEAR old HP it replaced. DELL technicians have tried twice to no avail. I literally cannot have 2 things happening at once. Can't have my little poker table and Internet browser going beside it simultaneously without horrible choppy lag. On a NEW computer! Even uninstalled my Trend Micro (taking chance on Windows Defender) to see if that would help. Disabled the "Power Now" on some off chance that would help too. $700 and I might just give it to charity. Please, has anyone had issues like this and have a suggestion?

Thanks.

P.S. I know very little about computers. Sorry.

Have Firefox open but not even doing anything...

Dell.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2018 13:00

Does it pass a full/complete ePSA Diags (outside of Windows)?

Is Power-Profile set to High-Performance?

Are there any red errors in Windows Reliability Report?

What does SMART on HDD read? Crystal-DiskInfo is good for that.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 20th, 2018 13:00

How much memory (RAM) is installed in this PC?

At the desktop, press ctrl-alt-del to open Task Manager. Go to the Start-up tab and uncheck (disable) Dell SupportAssist and Dell Update. Don't uncheck anything else unless you're absolutely certain you don't need it to start the PC. If you're uncertain about what a startup entry does, you can Google the name to find the info. And do not uncheck anything to do with Windows Defender.

Then reboot and see if that helps...

4 Posts

July 21st, 2018 10:00

Thanks for the reply. I've tried these things. I'll see what happens.

Does it pass a full/complete ePSA Diags (outside of Windows)?

That the F12 diagnostic that takes 4 hours? Just did it and no errors detected.

Is Power-Profile set to High-Performance?

Did that before ePSA test. Yet to determine if helpful.

Are there any red errors in Windows Reliability Report?

All I see there is some improper shutdowns but I lose power often where I live so that may account for those.

Dell1.JPG

What does SMART on HDD read? Crystal-DiskInfo is good for that

Downloaded the Crystal-DiskInfo and ran it but don't know what I'm looking for.

This safe to post?

Dell2.JPG

Thanks for your time helping me with a few suggestions.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2018 11:00

Seems a tiny bit better.

Maybe was the High-Performance setting change.

Still choppy poker app (sound especially like a scatchy forced sound) and when running can't open Facebook or anything that contains tons of info.

Frustrating as heck this DELL.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 13:00

@LisaJP wrote:

1. Seems a tiny bit better. Maybe was the High-Performance setting change.

2. Still choppy poker app (sound especially like a scatchy forced sound) and when running can't open Facebook or anything that contains tons of info.

3. Frustrating as heck this DELL.

1. Good. At least a step in the right direction. IMO, this should be default for a machine that plugs-in. Are you sure you have all the Windows-Updates installed?

2-3. The reality it that this is a low-end laptop with no-battery and a large screen. It's got a cheap low-end AMD processor and low-end AMD-GPU ... combo APU I think. Pair that with a SLOW 5400rpm spinning-HDD and you can't really help but to have a slow computer. People buy these to save money ... that is it's purpose in life (to be cheap) ... not to run nice ... (not with this particular config anyway).

If you want to keep it, I suggest you swap the rickety HDD for a famous-maker $75 240gb SSD, and get Windows-10 booting from it. All your Apps and Programs will fit on there also. Not only will the SSD be 4-times faster, the high IOPS will help make-up for the low-end CPU/GPU/APU and likely the minimal/slow RAM. It will be faster than even when it was new.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 13:00

@LisaJP wrote:

1. Are there any red errors in Windows Reliability Report?

All I see there is some improper shutdowns

2. but I lose power often where I live so that may account for those.

3. What does SMART on HDD read? Crystal-DiskInfo is good for that

Downloaded the Crystal-DiskInfo and ran it but don't know what I'm looking for.

1. Really? Because I see a  lot of red. Each must be explained or fixed.

2. That is very bad for Windows. Your installation might be corrupt now. I suggest you get a good UPS (like APC-LCD with AVR) and stop abusing your Windows-install and risking your hardware investment.

3. That looks fine ... no physical HDD errors.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2018 09:00

Thanks for all your help and tips.

Like I said. New out of the box this system was slow/bad.

And I didn't consider it 'abusing' my machine only having a surge protector.

It's what most people do in an area like mine where our power is unpredictable.

Will look into those options though.

Thanks again.

Cheers

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 11:00

@LisaJP wrote:

1. Like I said. New out of the box this system was slow/bad.

2. And I didn't consider it 'abusing' my machine only having a surge protector. It's what most people do in an area like mine where our power is unpredictable.

1. I understand ... and that's why I suggested a SSD and either cloning spinning HDD to it (or just do a clean/fresh Windows install).

2. Well, I hope you consider my other suggestions even though yall don't know (or agree) that a good UPS (with battery and AVR) is the proper protection for your computerized machines (computers, HDTV's etc.). This is especially true if your AC-power is "unpredictable". Spikes, brown-outs, over-voltage (especially when AC-grid comes back on), and general unstable-ness is all very hard on computerized machines.

4 Posts

June 12th, 2019 14:00

Can I upgrade the apu to something like a Ryzen 3? I just got my 3475 today and it was really struggling with even basic tasks Coming straight out of the box. I’m thinking a better apu and swapping out the HDD for an SSD might make it a great little budget machine for my home office.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 13th, 2019 11:00

@Ansan2000 wrote:
Can I upgrade the apu to something like a Ryzen 3? I just got my 3475 today and it was really struggling with even basic tasks Coming straight out of the box. I’m thinking a better apu and swapping out the HDD for an SSD might make it a great little budget machine for my home office.

Don't know if you can use a Ryzen 3, but my guess would be "unlikely". Search these forums to see if anybody has mentioned this upgrade.

How much RAM is installed in this system? If this system only has one RAM module installed, RAM is running in single-channel mode which is slow compared to dual-channel mode which requires 2 identical modules to be installed. So you might consider adding more RAM before trying to upgrade the CPU. You might have to buy an exactly matching RAM module from Dell Spare Parts, or see if buying a pair of matched and compatible RAM modules is cheaper at crucial.com

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2019 12:00

You cant upgrade APU or CPU.  Its Soldered to the motherboard.  GPU is integrated into the CPU.

DELL 2F64W

Inspiron 24  motherboard AIOInspiron 24 motherboard AIO

Core I3  I5  I7  haswell and newer is MUUUCH Better cpu and integrated Graphics.

https://www.amazon.com/Optiplex-Computer-Bluetooth-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07DLCXB79/

AMD A6-9225 Processor with Radeon™ R4 Graphics

2 cores   2 threads  2.6ghz

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R4-Stoney-Ridge.182720.0.html

AMD Radeon R4 (Stoney Ridge) is an integrated graphics adapter of weak mobile dual-core Stoney Ridge APUs.

192 shaders @  600Mhz  64 bit gpu.

This is always going to be painfully slow.

Unigine Heaven 2.1 - high, Tesselation (normal), DirectX11 1280x1024  9 fps.

Far Cry  1280 x 720  3 Fps.

A core 2 Duo Tower can be upgraded with SSD and Ram and GPU and be at least 500 percent faster in everything.

https://www.lambroinc.com/desktops?lightbox=dataItem-jtfsw8uq

4 Posts

June 13th, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a 250gb SDD and 8gb RAM stick from Crucial that their website said was compatible with the AIO 3475. This computer only came with 4gb of RAM, so hopefully 8gb should be a marked improvement. I will install the parts once they arrive next week and report back. That’s a shame about the apu being soldered onto the motherboard...would it be possible to just switch out the motherboard if the computer still struggles even after installing the new RAM and SSD? Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 13th, 2019 16:00

4 GB of RAM is really low for Win 10...

8 GB should be a reasonable improvement. Unfortunately, this model has only one DIMM slot so the 8 GB RAM module will still be running in slow single-channel mode, but there's nothing you can do about that...

Grab a copy of the free version of Macrium Reflect and use that to image the hard drive. Then remove that drive and install the SSD, and transfer the image onto the SSD.

Post back and let us know how the upgrade goes...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

EDIT: The picture I posted is 3455 shows 2 Sodimm ram slots.

Max Ram for 3475 is 16 gigs.

16 Gigs  will improve things dramatically because this is integrated video that steals from system ram up to 1.5 gigs

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-3475-aio

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

Except the online specs for the Inspiron 3475 say:

Slots: One SODIMM slot
Type: DDR4
Total memory: 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB

So I don't know which is correct, the specs or that motherboard image...  :Hmm:

No Events found!