Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CB

27 Posts

March 17th, 2019 18:00

Inspiron 24-5488, no boot or boots erratically

I have an Inspiron 24, 5488 All in One.  The pc boots randomly.  Sometimes I never see the Dell Logo. Other times, i can boot to an external DVD.  The power is ok as the LED always lights and the fan runs.  

Every time I restart, I hit the F2 or F12 key.

I am thinking about disabling the Secure boot feature as well as disabled UEFI.  

I have reset the BIOS to factory (removed the CMOS battery for 30 minutes).

I know that the video works

I don't know how to get the machine to boot from DVD.  The DVD runs but has only booted from it twice (out of  20 or 30 restarts).

Any help would be appreciated.

It  is a Dell Inspirion 24, 5488 A10 and it has a TPM and Secure boot enabled.  

9.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 08:00

Hi chuck.balogh,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell PC does not turn on or boot into Windows

How to Fix a Computer that Won't Boot Up

How to install your Operating System when you don't have a CD or DVD drive in your Dell PC.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Do you always want to boot from the DVD, rather from the internal drive, or just some of the time? (Why?)

If this is "always", reboot and press F2. Put the optical drive first in the boot sequence. Save the change before exiting setup, but don't change anything else. You'll have to have a bootable DVD in the drive before you power PC on or when you tell Windows to restart.  So if this is "always" you may want to leave the bootable DVD in the drive when you shut the PC down.

If this is "sometimes", the boot options are on the F12 menu, not on the F2 menu. You have to put a bootable disk in the drive before you power the PC on or restart. And you have to press F12 immediately to get that menu so you can select booting from optical drive.

No Events found!