Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

10 Posts

September 25th, 2019 04:00

Inspiron 24-7459 No rolling dots on start up (black screen with Dell logo)

When I turn on the computer only gets to black screen with Dell logo & no rolling dots. I then need to turn it off and then on again & then it will have the rolling dots & start up on the 2nd attempt. I have done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 but this has not resolved the issue. Can anyone help please?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 26th, 2019 11:00

Do you turn PC off using a power strip or surge protector after shutting Windows down? Remove those and connect the AC adapter directly to a working wall outlet.

Try disconnecting all external USB devices, except mouse and keyboard.

What color is the power button when it doesn't boot?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for options to run diagnostics, including the extended hard drive tests. Copy error message(s), if any. Hard drive tests can take a long time, so be patient.

Version of Windows?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2019 08:00

10 Posts

September 29th, 2019 14:00

Hi thanks for the update, I have been away so have not been able to try your solutions yet. I will give it a go later today & let you know how I go.

I do use a power board so will try your suggestion. I believe the power button is blue but will confirm.

I have Windows 10 home.

I will let you know how I went

10 Posts

October 28th, 2019 13:00

I have tried everything and nothing works. 

I have run a full diagnostic and there are no errors.

the power button lights up blue when it doesn’t boot.

I am using Windows 10 Home

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 28th, 2019 14:00

Does it still boot to the normally to the desktop on second try?

Might be a dead motherboard battery. Check the Service Manual for details, but working inside an All-In-One isn't as easy as working inside a desktop PC...

10 Posts

October 28th, 2019 14:00

Yes it boots normally on the second attempt with no issues. Thanks I will check the manuals

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 28th, 2019 16:00

At least you have a work-around for the moment, but I'd back up all personal files, or image the entire hard drive, on external media asap to be safe...

Is PC connected to a surge protector that you turn off after shutting down or do you unplug the PC from the wall after shutting down?

1 Message

January 27th, 2020 06:00

I am experiencing the exact same issue.  Did you find a fix?

1 Message

February 11th, 2020 01:00

To circumvent problem disable hibernate. admin command prompt type powercfg /h off computer will then sleep and startup fine. But hibernate and fast startup will not work.

10 Posts

February 16th, 2020 21:00

ok thanks, I will give this a try. If I want to revert back & enable hibernate & fast start up (if it doesn't work), can this be done & what is the process?

1 Message

August 25th, 2020 02:00

Do not enable Fast Start up or Hibernate. This is the cause of the problem.

I had the same problem and searched for months until I stumble on this solution - that is not the enable Fast Start up. Some also said to unchecked Hibernate. I did both and it works.

No Events found!