Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2018 01:00

Inspiron 27-7775 AIO, shutdowns while gaming

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a 27" 4k, Ryzen 7, Radeon RX580 Inspiron 7775. Overall, I am quite happy with this device (I mainly use it for video and photo editing).

Yesterday I have experienced a very strange behavior. I was testing the PlayerUnknown's Battle Ground and played it on the default settings (that was suggested by the game i.e. high quality + 2556x1440). I have already noticed the fan is getting noisy while the computer is doing the heavy lifting, but it was really surprising how loud it got.

After a few minutes of gaming, the picture started to flicker (not sure how to describe this better) with strange colors and artifacts. After +/- 30 seconds, the system shuts down to a black screen (but actually you need to press and hold the power button to restart the device).

I was reading one of the posts in this community (about the fan) and installed Ryzen Master app to see the temp of the processor (not to overclock it!). The peak temp. was not more than 70 deg. C.

I had noticed this flickering while gaming Max Payne 3 on 4k - smooth gameplay for a few minutes.

What shall I do to fix this issue? After downgrading the resolution in both games to 1080p, the system runs fine (even on high or ultra settings).

Thanks for any suggestions!!

October 25th, 2018 07:00

I was having the exact same issue, I did the option AMD Radeon driver update version 18.10.1 and the issue completely vanished!

Here's the driver.

Note: This driver has a silly bug where the system gets stuck for 2 secs for every 15 secs, the workaround here is to disable HDCP support - Radeon Settings > Display > Specs > Override > Disable HDCP Support.

Model: 27' 4k / RX 580 option

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 26th, 2018 03:00

It obviously overheated and shut down.  The first thing is to locate the machine where it can get adequate cool air flow. All in ones are basically laptops (which do not have component cooling capacity a tower PC has) with a desktop display and thus tend to overheat faster than a tower type PC.

8 Posts

February 26th, 2018 03:00

Can you elaborate?
Thanks!

It stands on my desk without anything blocking the flow of air. I even opened the window above it (freeze outside) and didn't help.

Is there a way to monitor all the temp. Of all components?
Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 26th, 2018 05:00

There are a couple of free temperature monitoring programs you can try.

1. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html#version-history

2. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

One problem with an all in one, as I mentioned is the design.  Although they can be sold as "gaming PC's" they can tend to not be a good purchase for gaming.  Another is the AMD Ryzen CPU's.  They get great reviews on some forums but I have a recording studio (with CPU intensive applications) and the Ryzen's do not fare well there.  

8 Posts

February 26th, 2018 08:00

This is very useful! Thank you! I will definitively test these apps when I get back home.

Is there a way of preventing these shutdowns i.e. to automatically throttle the cpu? I think I could live with a few fps less... (if it is what it takes!)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 26th, 2018 09:00

Whether this is a Video or CPU issue is ????  

Since the 1080 seems to work, I would consider using that.  

Maybe the real answer, if its still in the return window, I would seriously consider returning it and getting a full desktop as they are more suited to high graphics/CPU use such as gaming.

8 Posts

February 26th, 2018 11:00

Unfortunately that train has already left the station. I bought it in November last year. Now I am trying to minimize the damage ;)

9 Posts

March 8th, 2018 02:00

I tried posting earlier but the post didn't show up. 

I had the same problem with mine. Even if I did end up exchanging it for a new one the old one was sent to a service center where the thermal paste was replaced and the pc worked fine after that. 

I would suggest taking yours back intro service to have it looked at.

Mine would have a flickering image like a tv with bad satellite reception right before it crashed then the image would turn black while the pc was still on.

BTW, my wifi/sound card don't seem to like each other. Is this the same with yours? The sound cracks while downloading large files and the Bluetooth doesn't work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 8th, 2018 03:00

Sound problems, popping and crackling, etc., with Wi-Fi are a common complaint on computer forums.  I don't think there has ever been a definitive fix for it.  I see posts on the tenforums.com about it and even on Win 7 and Win 8 computer forums. 

If you run the (free) Resplendence Latency Mon program it usually points to Wi-Fi as a potential source of problems. 

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

9 Posts

March 9th, 2018 05:00

cracking.png

you were right but it seems nothing I do changes the sound problem or brings back my bluetooth

10 Posts

June 9th, 2018 16:00

I am in exactly same boat. Have had machine 3 days and it crashes every time play a intensive game. 

Is there nothing that can be done?  Do they charge for sending machines back after a few days does anyone know.  

Would like to play odd game but doesn't even cope with LO Legends and my 4 year old all in one Acer manages that for hours at a time. No problem.

Thanks if anyone knows

1 Message

June 11th, 2018 02:00

I feel your pain too!

I have had mine since November last year.

When I play Rust at 1920x1080 it will sometimes crash out the same as described above (flickering picture, then black screen and needs to be powered off and on again to recover).

Could I just check that the post from above, where thermal paste is mentioned.  Did you send the machine back, and they reapplied thermal paste and it solved your issue?

Also, do any of you find the fan really loud when gaming.  I need to wear headphones.  It sounds like a hairdryer!

Anyone tried putting a quieter fan in there?  Also, I have also found the audio cracks and wonky bluetooth on mine too.  I do have onsite warranty but not sure if any of this is fixable!

10 Posts

June 11th, 2018 05:00

I had the crackling audio. This was fixed for now when I reinstalled windows and factory reset everything. 

The shutdown is just what happens to me. A game like Rust should easily run with this sort of spec at that resolution. Fair enough if you try 4k settings that would push it. Fortnite didn't crash yesterday for me with 30 minutes play time.  To achieve this though I was running at really low res.  1600 -800 sort of range. My old All in One from 4 years ago can do that for hours and not overheat.  There no point in having higher spec hardware if you can't use it. .. The fans are as loud as I have heard in any machine ever . 

8 Posts

June 11th, 2018 07:00

No, I have not tried to re-paste it. I did have a chat with the Technical Center (told me to check BIOS bla bla), but it didn't help.

Has anyone checked if this really solves the issue? Hey Dell, I kind of see a pattern here... Is there a Dell employee on shift?

October 10th, 2018 08:00

I am facing the exact same problem with my inspiron 7775 which i purchased on 7th Sep, 2018. I was playing Far Cry 5 with default settings (full Hd) and it Shutdown in the exact same manner with only 3-4 min of gaming. I could play for a little longer with the reduced resolution (Hd) and limiting my FPS lowest minimum of 30.

I tried to log the temperature of CPU and GPU during gaming and saw the temperature go up to 80 before shutdown.

I have made a video of this shutdown while gaming and shared it with dell along with the sensor data log and now waiting for their response.

What did the dell team suggested you ?

No Events found!