Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 21st, 2018 14:00

Inspiron 27-7775, side USB 3.1 port is slow

I have had this All in One for almost a month and have been trying to get a resolution to an issue with the side USB 3.1 port which is not operating correctly.

I have had a number of communications with support who initially insisted that the problem is software related and not a warranty issue.

I raised an unresolved incident claim and was contacted by a Philippines based support person who remotely diagnosed the problem, accepted it was not software and arranged an on-site engineer visit.

The engineer arrived, swapped out the side USB 3.1 port, declared it fixed and promptly left. I ran some tests and discovered that it was exactly the same. I emailed back to support within a couple of hours with a detailed fault report and have heard no more.

I then emailed the unresolved issues coordinator who also has not replied.

I have a USB port which took 19 minutes to copy a folder which took only 3 minutes on any other port. The Windows System log shows multiple disk retries and problems when using the problem port. The system will sometimes eject the device from the system as unrecognised so there clearly is a problem with this port.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go next with this?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 12:00

Assuming this isn't a hardware failure,

• What version of BIOS is running? The latest is 2.12.0.

Do you have the latest version of: 

• AMD Summit Ridge Chipset, v17.100.2901, A02
  • Cypress USB connector manager class extension UcmCx Client, v1.1.0.33, A01 

BIOS and driver updates can be downloaded here.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 14:00

Thanks Ron.

Dell support carried out a remote session and verified that everything was fully up to date and that the fault was indeed a hardware fault, hence the engineer visit. It's hard to understand why nobody answers my emails!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 15:00

You probably should re-post this in the Customer Care forum.

Do not include any personal info such as Service Tag, support ticket number, or your name, address, phone or email. They will contact you via Private Message through the forum if they need additional info.

Hope they can get this moving along for you.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2018 03:00

Thank you.

Have done that and await developments.

1 Message

March 27th, 2018 14:00

hopefully everything works for ya

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 08:00

@SpeedVFRwrote:

Inspiron 27 7775 

1. - if I plug a USB hard drive, Windows complains that the peripheral is faulty. The hard drive clics and refuse to start spinning.

2. - if I plug a USB key, it works... but only USB keys work... 

1. If the external USB-HDD does NOT have it's own AC-Adapter, then use a "higher amp-ed" USB-3.0 connector. However, not all HDD are designed to work without an AC-Adapter. Usually, it's only small 2.5inch ones.

2. good trouble-shooting

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 6th, 2018 17:00

Or get a USB Y-cable that connects 2 of the PCs USB ports to one external hard drive to provide sufficient power.

My Seagate USB drive doesn't get enough power from one USB2 port but with the Y-cable it works fine. (My PC doesn't have USB3 ports which are higher power than USB2.)

340 Posts

June 28th, 2018 05:00

Curious if you ever got this issue was resolved? I have a similar issue with my 7775 and the side USB 3.1 port (the rear ports work fine). We have replaced the I/O board and it is better (some USB flash drives that didn't work before, now work), but some USB flash drives still don't work and just show Unrecognized USB device (namely, USB 3.1 flash drives). This is just in my testing with my flash drives. No telling what other flash drives do not work.

No Events found!