Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 12:00

Inspiron 3045 AIO, start up and speed

Two days ago I got this error at start-up: "The AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or greater for the best system performance."

I pressed F1 as instructed. It turned the computer off. Tried again. Off. Unplugged everything. Sat around mad for a while. Tried again. Started up with a super-fast checkpoint error. I think it was 1105, but I'm not paying $120 (it's out of warranty) for someone at Dell to tell me what that means. Slowest boot ever. Tried to run Dell site's diagnostics; gave up because it hung up for hours. Tried it in Safe mode. No luck. I couldn't engage real-time monitoring in Defender.

I did discover Windows hasn't been updated since October, and I have no idea why since it's set to update automatically. Updated everything. Still slow. Went into Advanced Recovery. Start-up couldn't be fixed. I managed to get Dell diagnostics to run on the desktop, and it was clean. Ran a Windows memory test. Nothing abnormal. Tried running the DISM tool. It hung at 100%. I gave up on the idea of running an SFC test and went ahead with a reset. Last night everything backed up OneDrive. Turned it off today, bc it's always slowed things down.

Today it finished some updates and it's still pretty slow. Not even trying to play a video. Keyboard is acting up but that might be my fault. I guess I'm asking if I should bother replacing the adapter or just dispose of the machine and blow the money I set aside for a desperately needed ergonomic chair on a cheap laptop. 

Update: Ran SFC for the heck of it. No problems found.

65 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 15:00

Is this a laptop from what you're describing with the "Connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher" and that it also says "The battery may not charge" it sounds like it's an inspiron laptop meaning it's been posted in the wrong forum that's probably why you haven't gotten any exposure.  If it's out of warranty and you don't want to pay the price for the Dell adapter you can get a universal laptop charger Walmart sells them and if it doesn't fix your problem you can always return it and get your money back.  Just make sure you select the right adapter end for your device.  

March 3rd, 2020 15:00

It's an Inspiron 20-3045 all-in-one desktop. Photo for reference.

Inspiron 3045Inspiron 3045

I don't mind buying a Dell adapter. I just don't want to do that until I'm certain it's the only issue. I can't find an explanation for the checkpoint code, I can't understand why the start-up issues couldn't be fixed in the Recovery menu, and I can't understand why the performance is so sluggish. Based on past experiences, I've found that adapter issues are often an indicator of even worse problems to come.

Thanks for your response!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 16:00

Read How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues? and especially the section "Verify AC adapter wattage"

March 3rd, 2020 16:00

This applies to laptops.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 17:00

Should be the same procedure for your AIO. Look in BIOS and see what it says about the adapter.

March 3rd, 2020 17:00

It says nothing at all about in the BIOS about the adapter.

I'm using a 90w adapter from Dell, so I know that's right.

Tried again to fix start-up while I was in the area. Failed again.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 20:00

If 1105 was indeed the error that you saw then this link may offer more information. Even though diagnostics and SFC seem to indicate all is well, the slow operation, boot, etc. seems to lean toward a hard drive error of some type. Possibly corrupt files or registry problems or even a hardware error. As far as the adapter not being detected properly there are basically 3 things that can cause that. A problem with the adapter itself. A problem with the DC jack on the system such as a bent or broken centre pin. Or a problem with the motherboard.

Possibly you already have this information but for what it's worth a description of the DISM command lines is here.

If possible try to borrow a genuine Dell adapter from a friend and try it on your system. It has to be genuine Dell or you are right back where you started.

Last thing I could suggest is that with Windows update not working properly, and Defender giving you trouble it is possible you have a virus. A full scan on the system (not a quick scan) may show a problem. Also try running Malwarebytes Free. That is a must have to compliment any anti virus program. That can be found here.

65 Posts

March 4th, 2020 03:00

I would also have the OP go into the windows defender settings and under scans select schedule an offline scan that makes the computer get scanned before windows even fully loads.  Yes it will probably take a while given the current state of your system to complete but that way any viruses that may be on the system won't have a chance to load up with windows.  Just schedule the scan and before you go to work or school in the morning restart it and let er' rip!

2.5K Posts

March 4th, 2020 04:00

6 year  old (max) Desktop AIO PC.  90w power pack is spec.. march 2014 is first BIOS date.. so....

NO OS stated, at all,  windows, but which one, the dead one now W7?   (dell supports w7,w8 and10.) but only the  w10 is supported, by MS now. ok?  W7 is DEAD OS,. best is to upgrade it..

That error you get is just a generic error, and means the power pack voltage reads too low (in pure English electronics words,)that turn means PACK is wrong , or bad, means the jack is broken or can mean the PC is overloading the Pack, due to Hardware faults insides the PC, (lots possible)

The PC plugged in to a defective power strip can cause this same above error.

What keyboard do you have?, if wireless? the batteries are weak/dead. now. and  is CHAOS. with that.

I see you ran a ton of windows, tests, why do that?  the problem is HARDWARE not SOFTWARE.

(using the POWER warning as the #1 clue here, that is HW ONLY FAILURE)

boot the PC, hammer F12, run ePSA diagnostics first.  see if HDD fails. for sure. focus on the HDD.

HDD are slow, (not SSD) for sure when bad, (bad as in NOW WEAK) all HDD die, vast do at this age..  (have proof)

Do not run SFC, and learn that if you do and he HDD is bad, SFC keeps fixing things just  a tad slower than the HDD then wrecks things,  THIS IS AN ENDLESS hopeless loop if true.  HW is first, no OS runs on bad HW ok.?.

July 2015 W10 first release happened just after the first 3045 was made so,,, what do  you have?.

my guess based on only one clue is safemode W7, as most folks do not know how to get there in W10...

Any shop in town , can fix this, ask them.. or ask how to diagnose  bad hardware.  HW is first. SW is expendable,.(like changing diapers on a baby )

check RTC coin cell battery voltage first,  2.9v or less is bad.

do only HDD full test next..  (or even run this, crystaldiskinfo.exe) (red or yellow warnings are BAD HDD)

or for sure F12 full diagnostics, first,  this is always first, anytime any dell PC acts odd. (RTM?)

I never heard of 1105 (CP) nor has google nor this forum here..(searched)

Good luck with your PC,  The HDD may be bad, or power pack or any thing inside bad and using TOO MUCH POWER..

March 4th, 2020 14:00

Thank you all so much for the many helpful answers. My keyboard is acting up so I'm using speech recognition software to write this. Please bear with me.

I'm running Windows 10. It's now fully updated and I ran a quick virus scan, which came up clean. I'll try to run a full virus scan offline. I don't have access to another Dell adapter but I did buy one from the site last night. I've been using a Logitech wireless keyboard with an integrated mouse, which I've had a lot of luck with, and I think the problems I'm having with it now are due to a spill I didn't catch in time. I replaced the batteries right after it happened. I'm ordering another one from Amazon today. I have a spare wired keyboard but I don't have another working mouse.

Just to clarify, the 1105 code was not a blue screen error code. It was a checkpoint code that appeared very briefly before I was finally able to boot my PC. That's one thing I've been trying to figure out. Like others I'm inclined to think this is a hardware issue. I will run the ePSA diagnostics test, but it might have to wait until I get the keyboard issue sorted out.

Thank you all again for your help. I'm extremely grateful for your time and effort. I really hope this isn't an expensive fix.

65 Posts

March 4th, 2020 15:00

If you need a spare mouse to get you by until the new combo arrives you can get a wireless mouse at Walmart for a song they have their own electronics brand called ONN I'm not sure who actually makes their products and while it won't have all the bells and whistles that the Logitech will it should get you through.  Once the new Logitech arrives from Amazon just stow it away somewhere in case you need it or you have a laptop that you use that you don't like using the touch pad.  I have a Logitech full sized wireless mouse that I bought from Walmart for around $25 but that's only because I have big hands and those little travel mice don't work well with them but I take it on vacation with my laptop so my stepmom can check her bank balances etc and she doesn't like touch pads.  I also used it one time when I worked remotely from home because the laptops they issue at the company I work for have really small touch pads and one of those old pencil eraser like pointing devices and I hate those.  

March 9th, 2020 14:00

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. My desk collapsed, so I've been dealing with that and the mess it produced. 

I did solve the keyboard issue by simply ordering one of the same type from Amazon. Since I have no desk and no practical place to operate from in my apartment  (not a lot of furniture), I havent been able to do much testing. I did manage to run ckdsk, which uncovered a potential issue. Everything was fine until the very end, until I got this error message: "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

Based on what I was able to find, this could indicate a bad HDD. I'm not sure what to do from this point. Should I go through ckdsk /r, /f, and /v and try again in Safe mode?

I'm not sure how to run a HDD as @savvy2 suggested and I can't seem to hit F12 fast enough to get into the full diagnostics. I may just download the program s/he suggested because this is starting to get beyond my skill level and difficult to implement without being able to sit in front of my PC.

Dell just emailed me to say the new power adapter is on its way. I can expect it in a week! 

65 Posts

To access the hard drive if it comes down to it you just need to remove either a panel on the back or sometimes the whole back if you google the service manual for your Dell you can find out how to do it.  Keep in mind that since these are laptops in a desktop monitor it will have a 2.5" drive.  Given your machine's age I'm going to say it probably has a 2.5" mechanical hard drive and usually for the mechanical drives with a few exceptions like an old Dimension desktop that I took apart that had a Maxtor hard drive Dell was pretty much married to Western Digital for their machines.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Starting with the PC powered off, power on and immediately start tapping F12. You may not be able to press F12 fast enough if you're doing a warm Restart vs a "cold boot".

Assuming no diagnostics errors, or you still can't get to the F12 menu,  boot to the desktop and open a CMD window as administrator and at the prompt type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
(include one space before each /) and press Enter. Copy error message, if any, when it's done.

If no DISM error messages, at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow (include the space) and press Enter. Let sfc run and watch for a response when it's done. Copy error message, if any, when it's done.

Assuming no errors reported by sfc, now type in chkdsk c: /r at the prompt and press Enter. Accept the option to run chkdsk at next boot and reboot. See if chkdsk completes this time without that error message.

No Events found!