Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 3252, to slow to even be used

I just set up my Inspiron 3252 (Pentium J3710, 8GB RAM, integrated Intel HD graphics, Windows 10) and it runs so incredibly slow that I can't use it. By slow, I mean it takes literally 5 to 10 times longer (or more) to load programs than my other computers (Inspiron 660s, MacBook Air, and even my old Dell Dimension 8200...well, it's running different programs, but still...) It's not just slow, but unresponsive. Right clicking a picture to "Save as..." takes 20-25 seconds to respond. Opening a tab or typing in a URL in Edge takes 15-20 seconds to open, then additional time to fully display pictures, etc. The mouse sometimes freezes in place for a second or two. My netbook with 2GB RAM running Linux is slow, but it chugs along at an even pace. It doesn't lock up or freeze. If this were a car, creeping along at a steady 40 mph would be ok (maybe), but creeping along at 40 mph and slamming the brakes every few feet is not. When I looked at Task Manager, the CPU, memory, and drive are all nearly maxed out (92-99%) all the time from simply running Edge with only 5-6 tabs open. I can run many things at once on the 660s--Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Internet Explorer, and a lot of background programs running. This is beyond frustrating. Yes, I should have researched it prior because it looks like it's just a computer, but I wanted to get some more opinions and possible solutions. There is absolutely no reason it should come out of the box in this condition. I purchased it six months ago and just now got around to setting it up, so I'm guessing there's no hope of returning it to Dell. I've always like Dell, but this has started to change my opinion. How can they sell a computer that simply doesn't work? Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 10th, 2018 20:00

I didn't even know they still made Pentium chips. That's a lower model than an Intel-i3 right?

You have a inexpensive entry-level Inspiron computer. It's running a much "heavier" OS than those old computers you mentioned. However, I'm pretty sure you knew it was barely a computer when you bought it (for that price and config-ed that way). There are some OS tweaks you can make. 

These "low end" computers (even newer ones) can get really slow with just spinning HDDs. Drop in a $40 SATA-SSD. That will be 5 times faster than any HDD. That's your bottleneck. It will at least be usable.

8 Posts

October 10th, 2018 18:00

And sorry for the jumble of text. I put spaces between paragraphs, but it seems it removed them.

732 Posts

October 10th, 2018 22:00

I agree and for about $25 you can get a used 128gb ssd online that will spruce it up to the point of being usable. I think they still make the Celeron (celery) chip also which is a step above or below that one and both are slower than an i-3. I also agree that the OS is overpowering the CPU and that they should give up on those yesteryear chips (or maybe they have thousands they have to get rid of still). I would sell it and get a 3472 model with an i-3 cpu in it, it's just a few more bucks and much faster.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2018 05:00

Pentium J is a defective Core I3 that is re badged so they can sell the dregs.

https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95590/Intel-Pentium-Processor-J-Series

Think of it like the Celeron vs Pentium3 or Pentium4.

I recently picked up a Latitude 5400 with core 2 duo 2.53 Ghz and put an SSD in as well as 4 gigs of ram.  Installed Windows 10 Pro and it runs fine even with Ancient GMA4500 graphics.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2018 07:00

Pentium J and the I3 are the same family where the J series is the defective cousins of the I3 with inferior cache and video and lower frequency.

For the same amount of money you could find a used Optiplex 9020 Tower.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00IO5VJKS/

I upgraded mine with the 365W power supply and a GTX 1060 making it VR and Game Ready.

No such option on the inspiron 34XX series.  My 9020 is a Core I7.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2018 07:00

Thanks. I see now that the CPU is a problem. I assumed incorrectly that any Inspiron would be at least as good as the last one I had, not realizing the Pentium and i3 were vastly different processors. I expected a lower-end system, but not to this degree. My other Inspiron runs fine, even with Minecraft and Sims 4 (with the proper settings).

732 Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

Yes and throw a SSD in it right away. I have an OptiPlex 9020 that is my back-up computer and I threw a $25 ssd in it which really spruced it up but it's not new and has no warranty.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

@kpkilburn wrote:

Thanks. I see now that the CPU is a problem. I assumed incorrectly that any Inspiron would be at least as good as the last one I had, not realizing the Pentium and i3 were vastly different processors. I expected a lower-end system, but not to this degree. My other Inspiron runs fine, even with Minecraft and Sims 4 (with the proper settings).

If you decide to keep it, drop in a SSD and that will compensate for some of the lacking CPU speed.

I just did the same for a relatives old (2013) baby HP system (with AMD dual-core). At least it's usable again.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2018 19:00

@546insp wrote:

I agree and for about $25 you can get a used 128gb ssd online that will spruce it up to the point of being usable. I think they still make the Celeron (celery) chip also which is a step above or below that one and both are slower than an i-3. I also agree that the OS is overpowering the CPU and that they should give up on those yesteryear chips (or maybe they have thousands they have to get rid of still). I would sell it and get a 3472 model with an i-3 cpu in it, it's just a few more bucks and much faster.

Could loading Windows 7 on it help (along with the SSD)?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 12th, 2018 22:00

@kpkilburn wrote:

Could loading Windows 7 on it help (along with the SSD)?

It would likely be difficult to find 64bit Windows-7 drivers for ALL of the on-board hardware.

732 Posts

October 13th, 2018 12:00

Just go with Win 10, Win 7 went out with the hula hoops, even Win 8 is getting old.

732 Posts

October 15th, 2018 16:00

That would be your best cheapest upgrade.

8 Posts

October 15th, 2018 16:00

@546insp wrote:

Just go with Win 10, Win 7 went out with the hula hoops, even Win 8 is getting old.

I just thought Windows 7 would be better for such a slow machine and ok to use since it will continue to get security updates until 2020. But, as mentioned above, finding drivers could be an issue. I’ll try the SSD and see how that works. 

Thanks all for the recommendations and info. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2018 05:00

Even Windows 8.0 is End of life End of Support.

In almost all cases a newer system WITH WINDOWS  already installed is cheaper than buying Windows Alone.

I tell my clients these are Free Machines where you are paying for windows and getting the rest for free.

https://www.lambroinc.com/laptops?lightbox=dataItem-jmnp9a2p2

If you download the 1803 or later COA you Install windows 10 clean.

You press custom install/update and say you do not have a key.

You then fully install.

Later when you get online you activate windows by entering a new key.

You then put the Home or Pro key in.  You must be careful to choose the version of windows

that is on the COA because a Home Key will not Activate Pro and Vice Versa.

You can see based on the cost of the software what I mean.

10 Home is $119

10 PRO is $199

No Events found!