Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2022 00:00

Inspiron 3268 Service Manual

Inspiron 3268

Inspiron 3268

The service manual on the Dell website for incorrect, even though it's the manual that corresponds to the service tag.

The motherboard in the manual bears no resemblance to the one in my PC (e.g. wireless card shown in the manual but not on my mother board).

Is there a 'proper' database matching manuals to say the Express Service Code or some other way to access the correct Service Manual?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 05:00

If you got it from someone else they may have removed the button battery inadvertently.  you need to have the cr2032 coin battery installed for proper function of bios such as remembering the changes you make and save (unless you keep it plugged to wall constantly).  you may be able to run the pc without the battery with bios at default settings.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 07:00

3268 board WIFI Slot next to DL2032 Battery

WIFI SLOT next to Battery DL2032WIFI SLOT next to Battery DL2032

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

September 3rd, 2022 08:00

Couple of observations:

• Just to be clear, the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth functionality is on an M.2-format PCIe mini-card installed on the motherboard, not part of the motherboard itself. Most consumer PCs come with one these days, but it makes sense that it's not in the motherboard reference photo. The service manual has instructions for removing or replacing the card. If you don't want it you can most likely disable it in BIOS, or you can remove it altogether.
  • For a retailer to sell a PC as "new" absent a coin cell battery seems irresponsible at minimum. It's a cheap part and easily obtainable, but that's beside the point. One would hope that's the only thing missing.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 11:00

Replace cmos battery after 5 years if you remember.  Some people say do it after 3 years.  I have 9-10 year old desktop that is still running on original battery without issue.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 04:00

Service manual diagram of motherboard is factory representative and may not correspond 100% to actual user board.  There may be some minor differences,  There is no manual specific to the individual unit you purchased based on service tag.  
link to 3268 manual.  It does not show a wireless card installed on board.

redxps630_0-1662206108709.jpeg

Service manual board

redxps630_0-1662206419429.jpeg

Actual board 7F37C

No, I bought it new (probably from Currys).

I'll have to have another look inside over the weekend and remember to take some pics this time (!).

Again thanks

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't appreciate that this PC had wireless (Wi-Fi & BT) functionality provided on the system board and doesn't need a wireless card for wireless capability. It doesn't have the button battery either, so I guess that's optional as well.  Again thanks.

September 3rd, 2022 09:00

Apologies to one and all here - but clearly I'm losing my mind(!) - the mother/system board is just as everyone said it should be.  Thanks for all your time and I've certainly learnt a lot from the exchanges.

September 3rd, 2022 09:00

Apologies to one and all here - but clearly I'm losing my mind(!) - the mother/system board is just as everyone said it should be.  Thanks for all your time and I've certainly learnt a lot from the exchanges.

Final thought, is it worth changing the button cells, or is that too risky? 

No Events found!