Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2019 05:00

Inspiron 3470, Freezing

I have a Inspiron 3470  core i5 Win 10 Home Desktop. Has constant freezing issues . Been working with Support since October . Have tried just about everything including reinstall of operating system . Freezes when online no matter which browser I use and also freezes when idle. I have to do a hard restart with the main power button to get the computer to respond again . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 14th, 2019 12:00

Possible power settings issues?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the USB Wake Support option in the Power Options area of BIOS. Make sure USB Wake Support is ENABLED. Save the change, but do not change anything else in BIOS setup. Exit BIOS setup.

When PC reboots, open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power options screen and identify the active Power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen click link for Additional Options. On that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Better?

EDIT: Are you using Ethernet cable or WiFi connection to your router? If WiFi, while on the Power plan's Additional Options screen, make sure your WiFi adapter is set to max performance.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 14th, 2019 07:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to assist you with this.

Do you get any error message when the system freezing, anything like a bluescreen error?

Open event viewer & check if there is any error recorded.

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link & check if there is a hardware error.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

3 Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

I have made the recommended power setting changes and will let you know after a day or two how it worked out . Thank you for the help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 15th, 2019 11:00

Glad to help.  Hope those changes solve the problem.

Post back and let us know how it goes...

3 Posts

February 19th, 2019 13:00

I have not had a freeze up in 3 days since making the recommended changes. Thank you for the help . I have been working on this since October with Dell Support. I believe this has solved the problem . Thanks again I really appreciate the help .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 19th, 2019 15:00

:Yes:  :Yes:

No Events found!