Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

July 14th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

This little computer has potential. It has a integrated Intel UHD GPU; but I was looking for something with better graphics. There is a slot in back for one. But unfortunately, the available graphic cards don't fit the case. Even Dell tech support has made errors in picking a graphic card for it. How do you fit a 5" card in a 3" case?  I just sent back a card they recommended for it. What were they thinking? Anyway, hopefully they'll make something for it or someone can direct me where I can find one.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

July 14th, 2018 11:00

The slot would be on the motherboard not on the back. The manual below does not say you can add a discrete card. Open the case to see if you have any way to add a low profile card. There are diff sizes of the 3470 but all the mini-small models cannot be upgraded.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-3470-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2018 21:00

It has a PCI-e x16 slot on the motherboard which should take a video card. But as Mary G said, you will need a low profile (half-height) or a small form factor graphics card.

Not recommending any specific card or seller, but check these for their dimensions to see what size will fit inside your PC.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2018 08:00

Dell only tested/validated the OEM Low Profile CGYV9 Nvidia GeForce GT 710 in the Inspiron 3470 PCIe x16 motherboard slot using the 200w PSU (power supply unit). Was that the video card that Dell Technical Support recommended?

October 17th, 2018 09:00

Another consideration is the PSU right?

Would it be possible to use GT 1030? It has a low graphic card power of 30W (although it recommends 300W PSU)

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 18th, 2018 11:00

GT1030 is fine as long as its the Retail Oem Version with low profile brackets. Secure boot must be off in order to use a non OEM card.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pny-geforce-gt-1030-graphics-card-gf-gt-1030-2-gb-gddr5-pcie-30-x4-low-profile-dvi-hdmi/apd/a9763687

• Manufacturer part VCGGT10302PB
  • Dell part A9763687

October 20th, 2018 22:00

thanks for the reply!

I have 1 HDMI port from my iGPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630). i'm currently connected to 2 Dell monitors, but one have to be connected via VGA because my pc only has 1 HDMI port.

if I were to add in GT 1030 into my dell inspiron 3470, will I have 2 HDMI port? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 10:00

@squidwardd wrote:

thanks for the reply!

I have 1 HDMI port from my iGPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630). i'm currently connected to 2 Dell monitors, but one have to be connected via VGA because my pc only has 1 HDMI port.

if I were to add in GT 1030 into my dell inspiron 3470, will I have 2 HDMI port? 

Does the video card you want have 2 HDMI ports? You could use the onboard HDMI port and the HDMI on the add-in video card, if the card only has one HDMI, as long as the 1st monitor is connected to the add-in card.

If the video card supports another port that's available on one your monitors (eg, DisplayPort, DVI) you could use that port and the card's HDMI port.

And alternatively, you could buy a USB3>HDMI dongle for the 2nd monitor. Just make sure the dongle supports the optimum ("native") resolution recommended for the 2nd monitor, and supports your version of Windows.

October 26th, 2018 01:00

thanks! 

the video card that I'm intending to get (GT 1030) only has one HDMI port. In other words, my first monitor will be attached to my graphic card via HDMI, while my second monitor will be attached to my mobo?

I was thinking of getting a usb3.0 to hdmi dongle too, but it will look awkward as my cpu only has usb3.0 at the front (though the back has 4 x usb2.0)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 26th, 2018 10:00

Yes, first monitor to HDMI on new add-in video card. Second monitor to the same onboard HDMI port you're using now.

If monitor #2 supports one of the other ports, eg DisplayPort, on the video card, you could connect both to the add-in card, assuming the card supports multiple monitors.

If you're going to install an add-in video card, I don't know why you'd need a USB>video dongle too. Assuming the video card supports at least 2 monitors (one using the HDMI port, and one using another port on the card) you will still be able to use the onboard HDMI so that gives you at least 3 monitors.

A USB3.1 dongle should be backward compatible with USB2, so you could plug it into one of the rear USB2 ports, but it won't have the same performance as when you use a USB3.1 port on the front. Buying a USB3.1 dongle would probably make it a little more "future-proof" even if you connect it to USB2. Just make sure the USB3.1 dongle is backward compatible with USB2. :Wink:

October 26th, 2018 12:00

thanks for the reply! 

However, I have a more ambitious idea now. Am I able to shift everything inside my dell inspiron 3470 into an ATX/mATX case so that I can fit a stronger GPU and a higher watt PSU?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 26th, 2018 14:00

The 3470 has 2 power supply options and can take a GTX 1060.

You cannot have 2 HDMI if you insert a card it DISABLES the onboard Intel.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 26th, 2018 15:00

@squidwardd wrote:

thanks for the reply! 

However, I have a more ambitious idea now. Am I able to shift everything inside my dell inspiron 3470 into an ATX/mATX case so that I can fit a stronger GPU and a higher watt PSU?

Do you know this is an ATX motherboard? Dell typically uses custom connectors between motherboard and front panel, but doesn't make the details public. You'd have to map the pins on the motherboard in order to connect to front panel in the new case.

Most modern (eg, Win 10) PCs can use both an add-in video card and onboard Intel Graphics as long as the 1st monitor is connected to the video card.  I don't know specifically about this model but I suspect it can use both at the same time.

October 27th, 2018 10:00

@speedstep wrote:

The 3470 has 2 power supply options and can take a GTX 1060.

You cannot have 2 HDMI if you insert a card it DISABLES the onboard Intel.

Sorry what do you mean by 2 power supply option? My PSU is only 200W though, can it support GTX 1060? Would be happy with a 1050/1050ti already...

And on the second point, so essentially I can only use one HDMI port on my pc? Since the intel's HDMI will be disabled?

October 27th, 2018 10:00

@RoHe wrote:

@squidwardd wrote:

thanks for the reply! 

Do you know this is an ATX motherboard? Dell typically uses custom connectors between motherboard and front panel, but doesn't make the details public. You'd have to map the pins on the motherboard in order to connect to front panel in the new case.

Most modern (eg, Win 10) PCs can use both an add-in video card and onboard Intel Graphics as long as the 1st monitor is connected to the video card.  I don't know specifically about this model but I suspect it can use both at the same time.

Oh...so transplanting it to a new case is almost impossible is it?

Or how about upgrading the PSU within the desktop? Would that be feasible?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2018 16:00

Search these forums to see if anybody has reported attempting to move this exact motherboard into a new case, and if there were any problems.

You might be able to install a new PSU, but I don't know which one(s) might fit in this case or their wattage, so search for that too.

You'll know if the onboard HDMI port is still active after you install an add-in video card when you test it. I suspect it will be, but can't guarantee that. So maybe search these forums for that too.

No Events found!