squidwardd
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

thanks for the reply! 

 

However, I have a more ambitious idea now. Am I able to shift everything inside my dell inspiron 3470 into an ATX/mATX case so that I can fit a stronger GPU and a higher watt PSU?

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

The 3470 has 2 power supply options and can take a GTX 1060.

You cannot have 2 HDMI if you insert a card it DISABLES the onboard Intel.

 

 

 


Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support






Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?


@squidwardd wrote:

thanks for the reply! 

 

However, I have a more ambitious idea now. Am I able to shift everything inside my dell inspiron 3470 into an ATX/mATX case so that I can fit a stronger GPU and a higher watt PSU?



 


Do you know this is an ATX motherboard? Dell typically uses custom connectors between motherboard and front panel, but doesn't make the details public. You'd have to map the pins on the motherboard in order to connect to front panel in the new case.

Most modern (eg, Win 10) PCs can use both an add-in video card and onboard Intel Graphics as long as the 1st monitor is connected to the video card.  I don't know specifically about this model but I suspect it can use both at the same time.

Ron

   Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
squidwardd
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?


@speedstep wrote:

The 3470 has 2 power supply options and can take a GTX 1060.

You cannot have 2 HDMI if you insert a card it DISABLES the onboard Intel.

 

 

 

Sorry what do you mean by 2 power supply option? My PSU is only 200W though, can it support GTX 1060? Would be happy with a 1050/1050ti already...

 

And on the second point, so essentially I can only use one HDMI port on my pc? Since the intel's HDMI will be disabled?

0 Kudos
squidwardd
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?


@RoHe wrote:

@squidwardd wrote:

thanks for the reply! 

 

However, I have a more ambitious idea now. Am I able to shift everything inside my dell inspiron 3470 into an ATX/mATX case so that I can fit a stronger GPU and a higher watt PSU?



 


Do you know this is an ATX motherboard? Dell typically uses custom connectors between motherboard and front panel, but doesn't make the details public. You'd have to map the pins on the motherboard in order to connect to front panel in the new case.

Most modern (eg, Win 10) PCs can use both an add-in video card and onboard Intel Graphics as long as the 1st monitor is connected to the video card.  I don't know specifically about this model but I suspect it can use both at the same time.


Oh...so transplanting it to a new case is almost impossible is it?

Or how about upgrading the PSU within the desktop? Would that be feasible?

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

 Search these forums to see if anybody has reported attempting to move this exact motherboard into a new case, and if there were any problems.

You might be able to install a new PSU, but I don't know which one(s) might fit in this case or their wattage, so search for that too.

You'll know if the onboard HDMI port is still active after you install an add-in video card when you test it. I suspect it will be, but can't guarantee that. So maybe search these forums for that too.

Ron

   Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
K Barlay
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

So I bought a GTX 1050 low profile card thinking it would fit and the problem is the power supply prevents the card from fitting in the slot.  Any cards with fan configuration in such a way that it is opposite of the power supply?

0 Kudos
Seth344
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470 SMALL desktop

A fast one that could play most modern games is the GT 1030. However, it will not work here with the 200W power supply, having 30W power consumption plus the 106 in the CPU and however much else elsewhere

0 Kudos
Seth344
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

Are you sure about this? All fine with the 200W PSU no problems or failing to start?

0 Kudos
Seth344
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, GPU upgrade?

The GT 1030 will definitely work awesomely, but that is the bottom level GTX family card. If you wanted a card that used 120 Watts like a fancy GTX 1060 that will run any game you want very well, you’d have to upgrade your power supply, which would probably have to be a tfx 250w, that is the max power one out there. It would only cost 30-40$ for the power supply upgrade, but the dvd connector may not be the right one, even though the rest of the plug-ins should be fine. Also you can get an m key m.2 ssd on the motherboard beside the graphics card slot, like the samsung 970 evo plus. Migrating the operating system to that with a power supply upgrade, graphics upgrade, and slight cpu upgrade to the lower i5 8th gen core will max the pc tower to little baby to boss baby!
0 Kudos