Jnmes
1 Copper

Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

Hi, I tried to install Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD into my Inspiron 3470, but it was not detect by UEFI BIOS and windows 10. The motherboard of Inspiron 3470 has M.2 SSD slot, so I think the motherboard supports M.2 SSD.

Edit = Solved using NVME to PCI adapter

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Moderator
Moderator

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

 

"Edit = Solved using NVME to PCI adapter"

Thanks for posting the fix!

0 Kudos
Zanthexter
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

That's not a "fix" that's a kludge work around. 

Does the 3470 support an NVME M.2 SSD or not? If it does, why isn't it detecting it in BIOS?

My "solution" right is looking like returning it (the Dell) if I can't get things working.

Could you please address the problem?

jefd78
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

Service Manual outlines the procedure of replacing solidate-state drive ( pages 42 - 44) so this should be supported.  Perhaps only certain drives are compatible?

Wish I saw this post 2 days ago!  I too purchased the Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 for my new Inspiron 3470. The drive works great in another device.

If not fixed in the next few days, I'll be returning the PC back to Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chchan74
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

Hi, anyone managed to get the Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 to work? am deciding whether to get the 3470 and the Samsung SSD. Can't find any info on the supported hardware for Dell, am also deciding whether to get the 3470 with the GT 710 card or buy my own

0 Kudos
aaronwt
2 Iron

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS


@chchan74 wrote:

Hi, anyone managed to get the Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 to work? am deciding whether to get the 3470 and the Samsung SSD. Can't find any info on the supported hardware for Dell, am also deciding whether to get the 3470 with the GT 710 card or buy my own


I went with Mushkin Pilot 250GB m.2 NVMe drives in my three 3670 PCs(since they cost much less than the Samsung NVMe drives and still had decent speeds -16Gb/s(2000MB/s) read and 8Gb/s(1000MB/s) write in my 3670 PCs. Using CrystalDiskMark to test the speeds).

I had no issues with my three 3670 PCs and the three NVMe drives. As soon as I installed them and booted, they showed up in the BiOS and then Windows 10 once I was out of the BiOS. Then I just used Macrium Reflect Free to copy the 1TB stock drive over to the 250GB m.2 NVMe drives.

I also made no changes to the BiOS in the 3670 PCs. 

 

EDIT: I just realized I have 3670 PCs and the 3470 PCs are the Mini versions.

0 Kudos

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

Ever find a real solution? 

0 Kudos
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

Just to add something. I installed an M.2 NVME drive in my Inspiron laptop plus a 2.5" SSD. The M.2 drive is not recognized in the BIOS but works like a charm in Windows. Not sure why it does not show up but it works great.




-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS


@aaronwt wrote:

@chchan74 wrote:

Hi, anyone managed to get the Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 to work? am deciding whether to get the 3470 and the Samsung SSD. Can't find any info on the supported hardware for Dell, am also deciding whether to get the 3470 with the GT 710 card or buy my own


I went with Mushkin Pilot 250GB m.2 NVMe drives in my three 3670 PCs(since they cost much less than the Samsung NVMe drives and still had decent speeds -16Gb/s(2000MB/s) read and 8Gb/s(1000MB/s) write in my 3670 PCs. Using CrystalDiskMark to test the speeds).

I had no issues with my three 3670 PCs and the three NVMe drives. As soon as I installed them and booted, they showed up in the BiOS and then Windows 10 once I was out of the BiOS. Then I just used Macrium Reflect Free to copy the 1TB stock drive over to the 250GB m.2 NVMe drives.

I also made no changes to the BiOS in the 3670 PCs. 

 

EDIT: I just realized I have 3670 PCs and the 3470 PCs are the Mini versions.


Right, they are quite a bit different.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: Inspiron 3470, M.2 SSD not detected by BIOS

 


@jefd78 wrote:

Service Manual outlines the procedure of replacing solidate-state drive ( pages 42 - 44) so this should be supported.  Perhaps only certain drives are compatible?

Wish I saw this post 2 days ago!  I too purchased the Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 for my new Inspiron 3470. The drive works great in another device.

If not fixed in the next few days, I'll be returning the PC back to Dell


That M.2 is too heavy duty for those little computers, why don't you just return it instead of the PC?

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos