Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 16th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 3647 BIOS

About 2 weeks ago the Dell Support Assistant had a message that I needed to install a CRITICAL BIOS update on my Inspiron 3647 Desktop. Normally I do not mess with the BIOS, but figured since Dell said it was Critical I should install it.  It hung up at 3% and stayed there for about 16 hours. After 2 calls to Dell Support, the second tech told me to shut off the computer even though it might fry the mother board. It did not fry the mother board and the computer came back on. However, ever since then it is very sluggish and the donut showing the computer is "thinking" keeps going around and around. Once this starts, even if I am in the middle of typing a simple e-mail, I have to walk away and come back in 5 minutes to finish the e-mail. It is very unproductive and I am at a loss what I should do now. I feel this BIOS update messed up something in the computer.  Any suggestions on what I should do now?  Do I download the BIOS update from the Dell web site and try it again?  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2018 05:00

I've seen a couple other posts about the Dell Support Assistant and BIOS updates failing.  The "fix" in the other cases was to install the BIOS update manually (download and install it from the Dell Downloads).  

Whether what you (or Dell Support Assistant) did to affect operations ???    Download and install the BIOS update as I mentioned and see what that does.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=73DC4

Not all are having the problems with the BIOS and Support Assistant.  I let the Support Assistant update the BIOS in my Inspiron laptop and all went well (maybe I was lucky).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 17th, 2018 14:00

Have you tried clearing BIOS?

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy all current settings, to be safe
  2. Power off and unplug
  3. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  4. Open case and remove motherboard battery (see Service Manual for details)
  5. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  6. Reinstall battery (time for a fresh one?) and close up
  7. Reboot

Does that help?

4 Posts

March 17th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the reply, fireberd.  I decided to try updating the BIOS manually.  I downloaded the file directly from Dell, then clicked on it to install.  I got an error message saying it was the same or an older version of what is on the computer.  Not sure how that can be right since it stuck at 3% when it did the install.  Should I try resetting the BIOS as the next reply in my thread talked about?  If I do that, then do I reinstall the BIOS from the downloaded file?  I know a fair amount about computers, but the BIOS scares me.  If this isn't the problem, then what else could have happened to make it so slow?  I checked for a virus with my antivirus, and also ran a full scan in Malwarebytes, and both said there was nothing wrong.  

4 Posts

March 17th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the reply RoHe.  I did try to install the BIOS manually and I got an error saying the update was the same or older than what I had.  If I try your option, do I need to install the BIOS again?  What settings do I need to copy - to be safe?  The rest I can figure out - just am a little scared of messing with the BIOS.  Any help will be greatly appreciated as not really excited to buy a new computer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 18th, 2018 16:00

Did you check in BIOS to see if it actually updated to the latest version (A09) even though it appeared that the install was "stuck"? Otherwise, I don't know why it would say the new version is the same as the existing version.

Copy down every  BIOS setting then reset to the defaults by removing and reinstalling the battery. Then reboot and see if BIOS now says that the new A09 version is installed.

4 Posts

March 26th, 2018 07:00

Thank you so much RoHe.  I had to search a little to find the correct new battery, but finally found one and installed it like you said.  Everything worked great - and the best news is that the computer is actually working correctly now.  You saved us from having to buy a new computer!  Thank you!!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 26th, 2018 11:00

Glad your system is working well again.  :Yes:  :Yes:

I always say a simple, inexpensive fix is the best! That CR2032 battery is available almost everywhere, drugstores, discount stores, etc. A good brand usually lasts a couple of years...

Please mark this thread as answered - thanks.

EDIT: Getting back to your original question, what version of BIOS is actually installed now?

No Events found!