Highlighted
doodzeez
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3647, case upgrade?

I am planning to upgrade the case in my inspiron 3647, so I can install a larger PSU and a full height GPU. I already have a GT 1030, but I want to upgrade to a GTX 780 Ti. I know some Dells have proprietary PSU and Front IO connectors, but it looks like the ones on the inspiron 3647 are all standard. Is this true?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Dell inspiron 3647 Case upgrade?

WHY?

Buying at least a 3rd party MATX board is better since the one in the dell is a short MATX board and also this motherboard looks quite proprietary, the newer XPS' and Inspiron tower desktop models are a lot more standard than this one. If you really want a 780ti you should get rid of this Inspiron since it's meant to be a budget home PC. 

An XPS 8300 would be a better candidate for this card since it would fit and the power supply could be upgraded without needing to transfer the motherboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8300-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-of-RAM-1TB-HDD-Windows-7-Pro/142800019521?...

Or even an Optiplex 9020 tower would do a lot better than your current PC in terms of upgradeability.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Tower-Intel-Core-i5-4570-3-2-Ghz-8GB-500GB-Window-10-Pro...

-elpro999

I do not work for dell. I am also a user.

0 Kudos
doodzeez
1 Nickel

Because I already have the 3647, a PSU, and an ATX case. Using things I already have is ideal. The power button pins, the HD Audio, and the IO Shield all look standard. Only thing i'm not sure of is the ATX power pins. I heard some Dells have power that looks standard, but isnt and destroies the board if you use a non dell part.
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

If the system has a standard connector, it will work with a standard EPS12V power supply.  Dell hasn't used the proprietary ATX-workalike connector in well over a decade and a half.  

Some newer Dell systems use a 6-pin power connector - if that's what this has, you'll need an adapter to connect a standard power supply.

0 Kudos