Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DD

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 07:00

Inspiron 3650, rebooting frequently

I've owned this Desktop for approximately two years and 8 months. The warranty ended in April 2018. Within the past six months or more I have experienced on a frequent basis after sitting for anywhere between 10 minutes and 3 hours the computer reboots itself. I've checked to see if there have been an update and don't see anything. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 12:00

Need more info...

Does it reboot while you're using a specific app or game?

Any error message or BSOD? Or does it just crash and reboot entirely on its own?

Any signs of overheating?

Open Windows Event Viewer and look for any errors logged right before or right after it reboots.

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for the option to run the diagnostics and run all of them, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. This is gonna take a while... Copy any error messages.

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

65 Posts

January 24th, 2020 03:00

The OP will have to look at the event viewer as by default Microsoft has Windows hide the blue screen from you and just restart.  That being said, on Windows 8 and later the blue screen does briefly appear but you'll basically need to have your phone or camera ready to take a pic of the error message because once the counter reaches 100% it restarts immediately.  You can turn this off and have it so that windows will freeze at the blue screen just google turn off auto restart on error It can be done on any version of Windows however it varies depending on which version you have.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2020 05:00

Malware can cause ntvdm crashes that will cause reboots.

HOWEVER corruption due to physical damage like bad hard drive or failing ram or failing power supply can also cause this.

January 31st, 2020 07:00

Sorry for not responding but the issue continues. I have had suggestions but not being a computer expert some of these suggestions I have not been involved with. I did take a look at the Event Viewer and from my perspective didn't see anything maybe I'll take a screen print to send next time.

Today I started up at about 8 am running my browser, Chrome, and looking at various sites such as gmail, Facebook, Amazon. Worked for about an hour let the PC run as I took a shower. When I return about an hour later the PC had shut down and I was on my PC sign on page. I signed in and bought the browser up and it had a message to either restore where I had left off or start a new session  at the top right.

Appreciate any help!!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 31st, 2020 11:00

Did you run the diagnostics as I mentioned above?

Did you scan thoroughly for malware? You could use Malwarebytes (free).

Did it automatically install any updates while you were away that required it to reboot itself?

Right-click Start > Search and type in CMD  When "Command Prompt" app appears as the match at the top of the box, right-click it and Run as Administrator.

At the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow (include one space before /) and press Enter. Follow the prompts and let sfc run. This may take a while so be patient...

No Events found!