Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

April 13th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 3650, reinstalling OS on new HDD

My hdd died so I had to replace it on my Inspiron 3650. I've downloaded the support recovery tool on a USB drive. When I start the desktop with the usb in it and tap F12 when the Dell logo comes up I get a screen saying "Boot mode is set to: Legacy; Secure boot; off". Under that are several Legacy options, UEFI options, and other options. Where so I go at this point? I thought there would be an option

5.6K Posts

April 13th, 2019 12:00

@Jazzy88 wrote:
My hdd died so I had to replace it on my Inspiron 3650. I've downloaded the support recovery tool on a USB drive. When I start the desktop with the usb in it and tap F12 when the Dell logo comes up I get a screen saying "Boot mode is set to: Legacy; Secure boot; off". Under that are several Legacy options, UEFI options, and other options. Where so I go at this point? I thought there would be an option

You downloaded the tool ?

A tool isn't going to help.

You need to create a USB with your current hard drive's OS.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 14th, 2019 03:00

Secure boot can be off or on.  Non dell video cards require this to be off.

LEGACY BOOT is no longer applicable.

You must use UEFI boot with a GPT partition.

2.5K Posts

April 14th, 2019 05:00

with a new hDD the old HDD recovery partition is now gone forever.

buy a new copy of windows 7 or 10.

and put in on a USB stick memory, using the MS tool to do so, and load windows.

if it is or was windows, no OS even hinted. so....

your support page covers w7,8 and 10

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-3650-desktop/drivers

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 14th, 2019 15:00

You should clean install Windows 10 using a UEFI Boot with Secure Boot Enabled. Follow my instructions here to Download Windows 10 Installation Media (using another Computer) and Create a Bootable USB. Then adjust your UEFI BIOS settings, Clean Install Windows 10 and Update your System Drivers using Dell Update: https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 15:00

If you`re going to reinstall the Mac OS then you'll need a USB Recovery drive or install CD. If your old HDD is functioning fine and set up as an external, you can boot from that: Hold down the "Option" key on startup until you see your drive. If you see a "Recovery Partition" here, select that. You may have to re-join your Wi-Fi Network here. Note: Plugging an Ethernet cable into your Router is strongly recommended here. The Mac OS X downloadable installer is a large file. Click "Install Mac OS X," be sure to select your new internal HDD, and follow the prompts. If you did not see a Recovery Partition, proceed to the next step. If you did not see a Recovery Partition, you will need a USB thumb drive of at least 2 GB for an Internet Recovery install, and or 16 GB for direct install. Select your old HDD to continue booting. Install OS X should format automatically, but to be sure you get a good, clean install: Go to Disk Utility, and select the new HDD from the left field. It should be labeled "Untitled". Click the "Erase" tab, and for "Format:" select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For "Name:" use anything you like. Click the "Erase" button, and the disk will be formatted. Exit Disk Utilities, which will bring you back to "Install Mac OS X," or "Reinstall OS X New Copy". Click and follow the prompts. Now all you have to do is wait! Some notes: Restore from Time Machine only works if you have a Time Machine set up, Disk First Aid is for repairing an already formatted drive, and Get Help explains the features available. Remember you can restart into Recovery Mode and run Disk Utilities, as this will save you time in the future if your Mac starts acting erratically.

Regards,

Adrian

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 15:00

You'll need a USB Recovery drive or install CD.

If your old HDD is functioning fine and set up as an external, you can boot from that: Hold down the "Option" key on startup until you see your drive. If you see a "Recovery Partition" here, select that. You may have to re-join your Wi-Fi Network here.

Note: Plugging an Ethernet cable into your Router is strongly recommended here. The Mac OS X downloadable installer is a large file. Click "Install Mac OS X," be sure to select your new internal HDD, and follow the prompts.

If you did not see a Recovery Partition, proceed to the next step.

If you did not see a Recovery Partition, you will need a USB thumb drive of at least 2 GB for an Internet Recovery install, and or 16 GB for direct install. Select your old HDD to continue booting.

Install OS X should format automatically, but to be sure you get a good, clean install: Go to Disk Utility, and select the new HDD from the left field. It should be labeled "Untitled". Click the "Erase" tab, and for "Format:" select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For "Name:" use anything you like.

Click the "Erase" button, and the disk will be formatted. Exit Disk Utilities, which will bring you back to "Install Mac OS X," or "Reinstall OS X New Copy". Click and follow the prompts. Now all you have to do is wait!

Some notes:

Restore from Time Machine only works if you have a Time Machine set up, Disk First Aid is for repairing an already formatted drive, and Get Help explains the features available.

Remember you can restart into Recovery Mode and run Disk Utilities, as this will save you time in the future if your Mac starts acting erratically.

Regards,

Adrian

No Events found!