Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 09:00

Inspiron 3650, turns on then turns off

So when I turn my Inspiron 3650 on it will stay on for 5-10 sec then turn itself off.

(No Amber light)

I assumed it was a power supply issue so I bought a new power supply EVGA 600w and the problem still persists.

I also replaced the motherboard battery and no luck.

The desktop is the i5 version runs windows 10

Has 16gb ram ddr3L

Has a GTX zotac 1050 ti 4gb

9.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 09:00

Hi Michael0921,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you tried reseating everything?  Memory, output cards, etc?

If that's still not working then there is the possibility of a motherboard failure.  

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot a No Power Issue on your Dell Desktop

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -

9.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 10:00

Watch this short video: https://dell.to/2WaTXen; You can do this with all the plugged in components.  Try removing the ram all together, then put them in one at a time to see if the system will boot.

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 10:00

How would I go about resetting all those things?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 11:00

Click on the link that Robert has posted for more information. It sounds like a memory problem is possible but you say that there are no flashing diagnostic lights and no beeps, is that correct? To reseat the RAM or video card, first turn off power, and unplug from the wall. Then remove the RAM modules and reinsert them making sure they are fully inserted in the DIMM slot. Do the same with the video card. Careful with the video card as there is a latch that needs to be pushed back so the card is not locked in. The link below from the service manual has instructions.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-3650-desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop/procedure?guid=guid-ebb01ee1-ca6b-43d8-b26a-4bac20a41e12&lang=en-us

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-3650-desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop/procedure?guid=guid-6c593358-38bc-4503-ba80-9e2f2a62a6d1&lang=en-us

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

One more question. You say you replaced the motherboard CMOS battery. Did you wait 15 minutes after removing the old battery before installing a new battery?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Robert obviously aced the typing class he took.. faster than my feeble attempts. Follow his video.

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 12:00

Correct, no Amber light, no flashing and no beep.

I didn't wait 15 minutes and then turn the computer on.

Though when it did the same on and then off I turned it off then remover everything.

Ram, GPU, and mother board battery.

I am at work so they have been unplugged for about an hour once I return from work in about 5-6 hours I will try it again.

Then update the situation.

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 21:00

So came back from work and it did the same thing.

Idk what it could be.

My guess now is either the mother board or the processer got fried. I honestly don't know.

Some more info on this problem, which I forgot to mention.

My computer started slowing down/lagging. Like extremely bad. I was in the middle of a lol game (the moba game) so I thought it was just frame drop. So I closed it and it turned out that my whole computer OS and everything was experiencing the same thing so I then force shut it down. Then this problem started happening. 

But when it had the old power supply (OEM) one it just a a blinking Amber light.

Once I got this new one the Amber light disappeared. Now it does this one and off thing.

9.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 03:00

Michael,

With this new information the issue has now become outside the scope of my team.  Please follow JOcean's advice from this point forward.  (PS: If the new power supply did not come from Dell, there's still the possibility it may be suspect.)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 11:00

Could it be overheating? The entire OS would run slowly if the CPU clocked itself down because of heat and prevent it from getting fried.

Are all fans correctly connected and working?

You might want to think about removing the heat sink from the CPU, cleaning both surfaces and applying a thin coat of fresh thermal paste (eg, Arctic Silver), and then reattaching the heat sink. (Do not remove the CPU from its socket.)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 12:00

On some newer PC models, the PSU fan only turns on when it's needed, unlike in the old days when the PSU fan ran constantly. Not sure about this specific PC model but something to keep in mind.

There are lots of youtube vids about cleaning off old thermal paste and applying fresh paste, if you need any help doing that.

Some vids may suggest using alcohol so use it carefully. Don't let it drip inside the PC if you use it to clean the top of the CPU.  And don't use "rubbing alcohol" which is only 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 12:00

This does seem logical.

I check all the fans and the we're working properly except the fan in the (OEM) PSU.

So I did remove the CPU cooler. And notice the heat sink was very weak. So I am going to get termal paste and fully clean of the old paste and reapply then try. Also they cooler it self did have some dust bunnies.

Will update the thread one I do this.

Thank you for the suggestion also the heads up about not removing the Chip itself because I was going to. 

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 18:00

It's just a infinite loop.

On the turns itself off then back on rinse and repeat.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 18:00

So I cleaned the thermal paste and applies some new paste put everything back together and no dice.

Just turns on for about 5-10 seconds and then just turns off.

I guess this computer is donezo.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 19:00

Have you tried running the diagnostics from the F12 menu? Reboot and immediately press F12 and look for diagnostics option.

What happens if you boot from a bootable USB stick? Connect the stick to a USB2 port before powering PC on. Then immediately press F12 and look for option to boot from USB.

And with PC off and unplugged, inspect all USB ports for damage. A shorted USB port could cause this problem.

No Events found!