Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 23rd, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 3650, will not turn on after Dell Update

upadate - I have been on the phone with Dell, they are saying there is not a problem with their update. Everyone needs to call them and insist on talking to Level 3 support.   

Inspiron 3650 - windows 10

Yesterday morning there was a Dell update, I did the update  & started working in another program. now the computer will not turn on. I did where you unplug it and push the button for 1 minute and still won't turn on. I called Dell and they can fix it over the phone for $150!?!?

This computer is only a year old. Is there anything else I can try. Thanks for any help

10 Posts

January 29th, 2018 08:00

comprehensive support
dial  support
for  product issues
technical support for 
Product Activation support
Resolve issues for slow computer support
renew  support

10 Posts

January 29th, 2018 08:00

Very Well said ,yes in deed 

January 29th, 2018 15:00

This just happened to me last week with a dell work laptop. It shows "bootguard has verified that dxe is fail" once every 30 reboots or so. 

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 02:00

Display driver issue or display blinging problem on my Laptop on Windows 10 

Hello, I have Dell Inspiron 15 (3521) Laptop; and i am having a display driver issue. Sometimes my display was blinging. The reason is while working on my Laptop on Chrome it get stuck on black and blue screen and after sometime the privacy comment is that display driver is not working. I want a solution for this effective critical problem for my system....is this display problem or else? What should i do? Please help me!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 30th, 2018 12:00

@Atul Gautam wrote:

Display driver issue or display blinging problem on my Laptop on Windows 10 

Hello, I have Dell Inspiron 15 (3521) Laptop; and i am having a display driver issue. Sometimes my display was blinging. The reason is while working on my Laptop on Chrome it get stuck on black and blue screen and after sometime the privacy comment is that display driver is not working. I want a solution for this effective critical problem for my system....is this display problem or else? What should i do? Please help me!

Spammer Alert!

Do not click any of the links posted by Atul Gautam.

July 8th, 2018 01:00

I was upgrading my BIOS from v.3.5.2 to v.3.6.0 on Dell Inspiron 3650, and exact same thing happened to me!  Picture below shows the last thing I saw, before a "Restart" prompt appeared.  After I rebooted, the computer can never, ever boot up again.  It doesn't even post any more (BIOS no longer working), no beeps, only the blue power LED and fans are on.  After reviewing this picture, I noticed 2 bad things about this BIOS update.  (1) BIOS update occured in the Windows environment, instead of DOS/shell, which apparently made it unsafe.  (2) "Restart" prompt appeared prematurely in my case, while BIOS was still being erased.  This should be enough to prove that these BIOS upgrade programs are very poorly written.

P1350631 (Medium).jpeg

July 8th, 2018 01:00

I was upgrading my BIOS from v.3.5.2 to v.3.6.0 on Dell Inspiron 3650, and exact same thing happened to me!  Picture below shows the last thing I saw, before a "Restart" prompt appeared.  After I rebooted, the computer can never, ever boot up again.  It doesn't even post any more (BIOS no longer working), no beeps, only the blue power LED and fans are on.  After reviewing this picture, I noticed 2 bad things about this BIOS update.  (1) BIOS update occured in the Windows environment, instead of DOS/shell, which apparently made it unsafe.  (2) "Restart" prompt appeared prematurely in my case, while BIOS was still being erased.  This should be enough to prove that these BIOS upgrade programs are very poorly written.

P1350631 (Medium).jpeg

1 Message

August 10th, 2018 05:00

Mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago, Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. I did a hard restart and she died! Tried to power back up and got the fan and an amber light flashed for second and shut back down. Fortunately when I purchased at Best Buy I also bought the 4 year geek squad repair plan. They shipped it out to Kentucky on 8/2/2018 and I just got it back yesterday,they had to replace the motherboard.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2019 01:00

hello does anyone know if there is any workaround? to rollback this bios update! i got same problem, the pc just turn on but no display! Fans and power on, but there is only an orange solid blink then when i try to power off, it automatically turn on again with the same problem! please any help or someone who had solved this issue or what i have to do, i dont have any warranty on this dell inspiron 3650, could be the motherboard or also the processor?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 25th, 2019 12:00

@OSDOZ wrote:

hello does anyone know if there is any workaround? to rollback this bios update! i got same problem, the pc just turn on but no display! Fans and power on, but there is only an orange solid blink then when i try to power off, it automatically turn on again with the same problem! please any help or someone who had solved this issue or what i have to do, i dont have any warranty on this dell inspiron 3650, could be the motherboard or also the processor?

Have you tried the BIOS Recovery options?

Depending on when the Dell warranty expired, your credit card company might cover repairs during the second year of PC ownership, if you bought the PC with that card. So check with the card company.

And look into Dell Out-Of-Warranty repairs if you don't want to buy a motherboard and replace it yourself.

1 Message

June 27th, 2019 13:00

I am not sure where to post this suggestion but I figure this is a good place to start:

I am a computer repair shop in small town Alabama.  One of my customers brought me in a Dell Inspiron 3650 which after a Dell Support Assist recommended BIOS update would no longer start properly.  Here are the actual symptoms when I turned it on:

~  System starts but no video and after about 10-12 seconds begins a restart loop every 5 seconds.

After researching and trying everything out there I could find, reset cmos (pulled battery & moved jumper on motherboard), pulled RAM and tried individually (even tried new RAM), tested power supply and came up with the conclusion that the Dell BIOS update corrupted the BIOS & the motherboard probably needs to be replaced.  At this point I had nothing to lose so I tried one more thing that I never found on any forums I searched:

~  On the motherboard there are 3 jumpers, cmclr1 (cmos clear), pwclr1 (password clear) & meclr1 (me clear).  Since I had already tried the cmclr1 jumper to clear the cmos with no luck, I pulled the "meclr1" jumper and placed it on pins 2 & 3 (me disable), powered up the system & voila!  There is life back in the system again.

~  Sorry for the long story but before sending your PC back to Dell or to the recycle bin try the "meclr1" jumper and hopefully your system will come back to life again as well.

~  Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!

P.S.  Just a side note, the BIOS that caused all of this and is currently running in this system is 3.9.0 which is not even available through the Dell support website for download any longer (current BIOS available is 3.8.0) but somehow ended up on system due to Dell Support Assist update.  Probably going to try an earlier BIOS and reseat meclr1 jumper back to normal (pins 1 & 2) to see if it will work and advise customer not to update unless they notice an issue with their system.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 27th, 2019 16:00

@Alabama123- Thanks but that MECLR1 fix has already been posted in several threads about Inspiron 3650 boot failures after updating BIOS to 3.9.0. Trouble is that we don't know if this fix even applies to any prior version(s) of BIOS that caused the boot failures reported in this old thread. And we have no way to know why 3.9.0 isn't listed on the Support page.

Best advice = uninstall SupportAssist so it won't force risky and/or unnecessary updates. :Wink:

June 28th, 2019 00:00

Deleted....problem solved.

June 28th, 2019 01:00

I trust what you wrote in your reply to Alabama however if that fix isn't relevant why did it work? I am just curious to know as how he describes the system he was working on it is precisely what my own is doing and I have tried the other remedies he stated he tried initially before the solution that worked so I was going to give it a try before I shipped my tower off. 

Thanks. 

No Events found!