Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 23rd, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 3650, will not turn on after Dell Update

upadate - I have been on the phone with Dell, they are saying there is not a problem with their update. Everyone needs to call them and insist on talking to Level 3 support.   

Inspiron 3650 - windows 10

Yesterday morning there was a Dell update, I did the update  & started working in another program. now the computer will not turn on. I did where you unplug it and push the button for 1 minute and still won't turn on. I called Dell and they can fix it over the phone for $150!?!?

This computer is only a year old. Is there anything else I can try. Thanks for any help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 07:00

Not knowing what update(s) were done its hard to say.

Do you get any lights at all when you (try) power it on?  Does it beep? 

22 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 07:00

Pretty sure it was a Bios update 

i get no beeps and when I plug in the computer the light is orange or amber. When I push the on button it is amber for a second the fans turn on and goes off and then nothing, no beeps and the power light is off. 

Don't  know if this matters but when I hit the test button on the back the green light comes on and the fans start

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 13:00

I am also experiencing this problem, sorry that’s not much help! Have you had any luck?
Bios update has killed off my dell 3650 this evening, not sure what to do! Going to call tech support in morning, surely they cannot charge you for their mistake!?

January 23rd, 2018 13:00

Exact same problem today, now what to do??   Unplugged from outlet and power light and fan go on for 1 second .

Went to Dell website and are advising not to update because of these issues, so apparently they are aware, still

what do we do in the meantime and how will we get updates if the computers don't power on, that's my question.

22 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 14:00

@bears fan Can you post a link if them saying not to run the update?I have been on the phone for a long time with Dell and they are saying there is no problem

8 Posts

I have also contacted them multiple times.   Since its for a friend that runs a small business and needs it fixed right away.  I went ahead and ordered a replacement motherboard.  They said they would refund me if any issues were caused on there end but said there are no known issues that caused it at this time.

Here is more info on the Dell website

Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities

Dell is aware of the side-channel analysis vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Spectre affecting many modern microprocessors. For more information, please visit security updates posted by Intel and AMD.

Here is an overview of the issue:
  • The issue is not specific to any one vendor and takes advantage of techniques commonly used in most of the modern processor architectures. This means that a large range of products are affected from desktops and laptops to servers and storage, even smartphones.
  • Mitigations include updates to both system software (Operating System (OS) patch) and firmware (BIOS, microcode updates). In some environments this may include hypervisor patches, patches to virtualization software, browsers and JavaScript engines.
  • Good security hygiene should continue to be used. This includes ensuring devices are updated with the latest patches, employing anti-virus updates and advanced threat protection solutions.  
  • As Intel reported in their FAQ, researchers demonstrated a proof of concept. That said, Dell is not aware of any exploits to date.

Patch guidance (updated January 22, 2018)

Dell is advising that all customers and partners should not deploy the BIOS update for the Spectre vulnerability at this time due to Intel’s advisory acknowledging reboot issues and unpredictable system behavior. We have removed impacted BIOS updates from our support pages and are working with Intel on a new BIOS update that will address the Spectre vulnerability.

We are working with Intel on a new BIOS update and will inform customers of next steps as soon as possible. Detailed instructions for Dell client and server customers can be found in the respective support articles linked below.

What does this mean for you?

For more information on affected platforms and next steps to apply the updates, please refer to the following resources. They will be updated regularly as new information becomes available. Dell is testing all firmware updates before deploying them to ensure minimal impact to customers.

The impacted BIOS update relates specifically to Spectre (Variant 2). Customers should continue to download the applicable operating system (OS) and software patches to mitigate against the Spectre (Variant 1) and Meltdown (Variant 3) vulnerabilities.

For more information on affected platforms across Dell Technologies and next steps to apply the updates, please refer to the following resources. They will be updated regularly as new information becomes available

Here it is----- Dell is aware of the new side-channel analysis vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Spectre affecting many modern microprocessors. We are working with Intel and others in the industry to address the issue. For more information, please refer to www.dell.com/support/meltdown-spectre.

8 Posts

Yours wont turn on at all?   This one turns on but immediately goes to a screen with "boot guard verified dxe that is fail"   Press any key to turn off.

Unable to access anything.  So the Bios on this one appears to be borked or corrupt.

8 Posts

I also have a 3650 in my possession from a friend that over the weekend when he got back to his computer and tried to boot up today he gets boot guard verified dxe that is fail and unable to get into bios or anything.

22 Posts

Call now if you can, they're saying  there is no problem, !!!

22 Posts

@nfear24 A new motherboard will fix this? They also said I am the only person complaining about this problem. 

22 Posts

@Kezzabel Support has been no help! They are saying there is not a problem with their update. 

Everyone who has this problem needs to call Dell, I have been on the phone for almost 2 hours and I'm currently waiting for return call. 

22 Posts

@nfear24 Yes there was an update from Dell and it messed up our computers, Dell is saying there is not problem but someone posted this - 

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/support-for-meltdown-and-spectre 

Everyone needs to call Dell support and insist on talking to Level 3 support. I'm currently waiting on a call back from them

22 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 15:00

@nfear24 Yes , after I did the update the computer will not turn on at all. The power button is solid orange, when I push the power button it turns on for 1 second and goes off.  

No Events found!