Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 29th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 3650 won't restart after BIOS update

I have an Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. I came to check something on it this morning and it had a popup stating that it was performing a BIOS update but everything was frozen and remained that way.  I finally restarted the computer but now only the power button comes on and no startup.  The monitor displays nothing and nothing happens.  

Can someone please help me figure out how to get this going again? Thanks so much in advance!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2018 10:00

Try this:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery. See page 47 in manual for details about removing the battery.
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery
  6. Close up and connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Boot up

7 Posts

March 29th, 2018 16:00

That did not seem to work.  Any other ideas?  Thanks a ton for the reply!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2018 18:00

:TongueTied:

You'll have to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance, and possible motherboard replacement, now.

But before you contact them, read: Dell Policy, BIOS breaks motherboard CMOS so you'll know what to expect from them, depending on whether your system still has a warranty or it already expired. 

Be prepared to explain -politely- how the BIOS update got triggered, and if the first person isn't helpful ask to be transferred to the next level of support.

Hope they fix this for you quickly...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 30th, 2018 07:00

Send in without the hard drive or put a new hard drive in that is blank.  That way they have media to reinstall the os on.  Or Get an external usb drive wire and recover the data to a working machine.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Cable-Converter-Supports/dp/B00MYU0EAU/

7 Posts

March 30th, 2018 07:00

I contacted them and it is apparently still under warranty and they said they would replace the motherboard. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get my data off the hard drive before I send it in? They said the hard drive will be wiped clean. Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 30th, 2018 10:00

Don't you get onsite repair since it's still under warranty, so you won't have to send it anywhere?

If you do have to send it somewhere, and decide to access the hard drive with the cable speedstep suggested, it might be better to image the drive with software like Acronis rather than just copying your data. With an image you can restore the drive to its current state with all your settings, apps and files after you get it back from the service center.

Either way, make sure to wipe this drive completely if you send it in so nobody can see your stuff.  You can run DBAN (free) on the PC you connect the drive to via USB to wipe it clean.

7 Posts

March 30th, 2018 11:00

The rep I talked with sent me a shipment label to Austin to and did not say anything about on site repair. I may just use the cable suggested above and try to just get the most important info from my drive and then erase it. I bought the unit in July and only have a couple of folders with important business info on it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 30th, 2018 11:00

OK, post back and let us know when it's fixed.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2018 07:00

I am having the same issue. Mine is not under warranty. I had the update trigger and I was impatient in letting it update. So I shut it off so now does this mean my computer is done? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 7th, 2018 10:00

@Teatwoo wrote:

I am having the same issue. Mine is not under warranty. I had the update trigger and I was impatient in letting it update. So I shut it off so now does this mean my computer is done? 

You can try using either Dell's BIOS Recovery option 2 or option 3.

If that doesn't work, you can contact Dell Tech Support to plead your case, and see if they'll do anything for you.

And there's always Dell Out-of-Warranty Repair Service, but you will have to pay for this service, so be sure to ask about the cost.

No Events found!