Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

February 15th, 2018 16:00

Inspiron 3656 will not display Startup Settings

I have an Inspiron 3656 with Windows 10 that I want to put into safe mode and can't. I've tried the usual methods of Shift+Restart, msconfig, bcdedit from command prompt, interrupt boot cycle twice, etc. Each of these methods sends me to the Choose an option->Troubleshooting->Advanced Options->Startup Settings->Restart. What should happen is it restarts and shows the Startup Settings. Instead it just performs a normal reboot as if it forgot I requested a Startup Settings restart.

What I've tried:

• Factory reset
  • Dell diagnostics during boot
  • Disabled Fast Startup/Sleep/Hibernate under Control Panel->Power Options
  • chkdsk /F /R
  • sfc /scannow
  • Reseating all connectors and CMOS battery (batt measured 3.22V)
  • Setting Boot Log in msconfig (no log after reboot)
  • Disabling non-Microsoft services in msconfig
  • Disabling startup apps in Task Manager

Any new ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 15th, 2018 17:00

Do you want to boot in Safe Mode or to open BIOS Setup?

See if there's anything useful here: How to Boot to Safe Mode in Windows 10

BIOS Setup: reboot and immediately press F2.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2018 19:00

Hi RoHe,

Thanks for your response. I want to boot into Safe Mode. I have no problem opening BIOS Setup.

The link you provided mentions one method of entering Safe Mode. I am aware of several methods of entering Safe Mode (see my original post). My problem is that those methods are not working. Using any of those methods I can trigger a restart that should bring up the Startup Settings window, but instead the PC does a normal restart.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 16th, 2018 10:00

If you're trying to open the Startup settings from the sign-in screen, you have to  be quick or you miss the short time period when your keystrokes will be accepted.

And see if there's anything useful here.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2018 11:00

I was finally able to get Startup Settings to display. I was not able to root cause what the issue was, but it required fully reinstalling Windows.

(NOTE: If someone is following the below instructions, save all your files to an external drive NOW, as the below steps will erase everything.)

Previously I used Advanced Settings to do a Factory Image Restore, but the problem persisted. The problem was fixed by downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool and creating a bootable USB flash drive. I then restarted and opened the boot menu (F12, I believe) and booted from the USB drive. I selected the Custom Install. Five partitions were shown with partition 3 labelled "OS" highlighted. To be safe I left the other 4 partitions intact, but told Windows to re-install on partition 3.

After that I'm able to get to the Startup Settings menu. The only (sort of) downside to this approach is it basically replaces the Dell-centric Windows with a plain vanilla Windows. In other words all Dell and 3rd party tools are removed (except the Dell splash screen during POST).

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 17th, 2018 12:00

Glad you got it sorted. Too late now, but I wonder if you'd done a repair rather than a full install, that might have solved the problem.

Did you update all the drivers from Dell's site for this model?

Anyway, whatever factory-installed software you lost is probably available for free download from Dell support, and/or from Dell Download Center, with your Service Tag.

No Events found!