Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 3668 to lg 42" plasma tv

Just replaced my old inspiron desktop with the new 3668 through hdmi. If I turn off tv or the pc sitts inactive for a period of time the tv loses the signal to the desktop and the only way to reconnect is to hard boot the pc. I used the exact same connections as the old pc which had no issues whatsoever. ruled out the stereo receiver I had between the 2 and connected directly to tv and still have the same issue. Dell support checked over the desktop and found no problems with it. Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2018 11:00

If the TV is the only monitor connected, when you turn the TV off, the PC is running "headless" so it's not surprising the TV won't get an HDMI signal again until you reboot.

If you're using onboard Intel Graphics, the connector will be in the area marked "1" in the photo on page 11 here. If you have an add-in video card, the connector will be in the area marked "2" in that same photo. The first monitor should be connected to the add-in video card when an add-in card is installed.

If the TV is still on but PC is idle, you probably should change the "Monitor Off" settings on your Windows Power options screen and/or set it to run a screen saver while PC is idle. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2018 10:00

Is TV the only video-out from PC or is another monitor connected too?

Do you have an add-in video card or only onboard Intel Graphics? If you have both, where is TV (and other monitor) connected, add-in or onboard?

You might have to modify some of your advanced Windows Power options.

EDIT: What version of Windows was running on the old Inspiron? I presume the new one has Win 10.

7 Posts

Not sure if this reply got posted as I don't see it anywhere. 

But yes the tv is the only monitor connected through HDMI. I have 3 external hard drives also but it still does it when they are disconnected.

Pretty sure its just intel graphics as I ordered nothing extra for video. As to where the tv is connected I wouldn't know how to find out. As I mentioned I am using the only HDMI port from the PC to HDMI1 on the tv.

And last but not least both dystems were and are running Windows10.

Thanks

Rick

7 Posts

i've taken the home theater out of the loop and still have the issue. I'm pretty sure it's the interaction between the new inspiron and the tv.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@kcidnodwrote:

If I turn off tv ... the tv loses the signal to the desktop 

Huh ? :TongueTied:

It's not un-common for Home Theater devices needing to be powered-up in a certain order, and (obviously) stay on to work.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Before you shop for a new video card, what about using the video card that was in the old PC, assuming it's good enough for you?

If the old card is a PCI-e x16 card, it should fit into the same slot on the new motherboard. Read the Service Manual for instructions to install the card.

Then boot up and install the latest driver for that card.

That will save you some $$. :Wink:

7 Posts

Ron,

Thank You. 

So when it is all said and done I need a video add in (which the old desktop had) in order to run the way I am. I've already set up my power options to run a screensaver but I really don't want to keep a 42 " plasma tv running all the time so I will need a video card.

Thank You.

7 Posts

Thanks. I think I understand.

Any recommendations on what video card to purchase. I am not a gamer. Just movies.

Thank You

Rick

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@kcidnodwrote:

i've taken the home theater out of the loop and still have the issue. I'm pretty sure it's the interaction between the new inspiron and the tv.

It helps if you think of it as a Home Theater setup whenever you are using HDMI. All connected HDMI devices must preform a "HDMI negotiation" before it works (displays a picture, for example). There is also a HDCP check. 

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 13:00

Ron 

Good idea. At least one of us is thinking. Thanks to you and Tesla for your help.

Rick

No Events found!