Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2018 17:00

Inspiron 3670, M.2 SSD, Windows 10 boot?

Just purchased an Inspiron 3670 from Costco. It has on onboard M.2 slot for an SSD. Before getting too far down the setup and configuration road, I'd like to know how to set it up to boot Windows 10 from the M.2 SSD. I believe that the process is just:

1. Make recovery disk
  2. Purchase M.2 SSD and install
  3. Use clone software to clone C: to SSD drive
  4. Disconnect HDD and set system up to boot from SSD (in BIOS)
  5. Reconnect HDD and format it

Is there an official how to published anywhere?<\p>

Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

August 26th, 2018 11:00

And my third 3670 PC went the same way for cloning. Zero issues with Macrium Reflect Free. Once the cloning process was done, I just shut down the PC, then disconnected the 1TB drive that came with the system. And when the PC reboots, it boots from the 250GB M2 NVMe drive that was installed. And boots in a few seconds.

I had no need to mess with the BiOS. The PC did everything on it's own. It automatically booted from the M2 NVMe drive, that was cloned from the 1TB drive that came with the system.

All three of my 3670 PCs behaved the same way when cloning with Macrium Reflect Free. It was trouble free and painless. And best of all the free version of Macrium Reflect doesn't cost anything.

I'm just glad I decided to go with all Dell PCs this time around. With my old 2013 Dell, with a 3rd Gen core i5, I also had no issues cloning. But another PC I got back then, an HP, I had run into problems. I have been extremely pleased with the Dell PCs over the years. And these 3670 Dells are no exception. They were a great deal for the price.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 07:00

I think you got it mostly right.  However, you need to clone the entire hard drive to the M.2 SSD.  You can't just clone the "C" partion of the drive as the M.2 also needs the boot partition (at a minimum).  Actually clone may not work or work properly.  Best option is to make a disc "image" of the Dell hard drive to a separate drive with a program such as the free (and popular) Macrium Reflect. Then restore the image to the new M.2 SSD.  Then set the boot in the BIOS.   This is basically what I did with my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop when I installed a larger M.2 SSD.  

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 17:00

I bought the same one but mine did not accept m.2 ssd, I had to use an nvme m.2 ended up getting samsung 970 500 GB, wow is it super fast 2 second boot.  But is there any way to get it to boot of the nvme as the primary and use the hard drive as a secondary drive without formating it.  Like a dual boot if the m.2 has a problem for some reason.   I have a bunch of boot drives on my old pc and also got a new dell notebook last year I added a 512 GB M.2 SSD to that and it worked fine with the original HDD. 

I tried changing the boot order & boot record but it keeps resetting itself after a reboot and booting from the super slow HDD (like its not saving for some reason).

Any ideas other than a reformat?

732 Posts

July 31st, 2018 20:00

Nope, I doubt if it will tolerate a dual boot.

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

August 19th, 2018 19:00

I just recently installed an M2 NVMe drive(Mushkin Enhanced Pilot 250GB) in each of the two 3670 PCs I got from Best Buy. All I did was install the M2 drives. install Macrium Reflect. Then copy all partitions from the 1TB drive to the 250GB M2 drives I got. I left all the paritions the same size except the C drive. Which I shrunk down to fit in the 250GB drive. Then I just shutdown the PC. Disconnected the 1Tb drive, and when I turned the PC back on, it booted right up from the M2 NVMe drives. 

And wow, those two to three second boot times are fantastic. i used the same procedure on both 3670 PCs i have, and they both worked great cloning the drives this way.

I have a third 3670 coming later this week. And hopefully Everything works out great with that one too when I clone the 1TB drive to the 250GB M2 NVMe drive.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2018 08:00

It took a while (just a lot of other things going on), but I did the following:

1) Installed M.2 drive. Had to purchase a standoff with internal screw online. I know I could get a bunch of them cheaper, but this worked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBG1783

2) Used Macrium Reflect to image the boot drive onto the SSD (resized primary partition so it fit)

3) Power off, disconnect internal hard drive, power on. Booted from M.2 SSD without any changes.

4) Power off, reconnect internal hard drive, power on. Still booted from M.2 SSD (Hurray!)

5) Used Macrium Reflect to image M.2 to a portable hard drive as a backup.

6) Installed an additional 2.5 inch 2 TB drive. The inside of the case (front side) is set up for two 2.5 inch drives with holes predrilled. Used the vertical install point, attached with two M3x4mm (might have been 3mm) screws and straight connector SATA power and data cables. It's a nice touch that all of the holes in the case are labeled with the screw size that they take (not the depth though.)

There is a horizontal orientation 2.5 inch mount point near the bottom of the case. That mount point doesn't work with either straight or "right angle" connectors because it's too close to the side (removable side of case). There isn't room for the straight connectors, and the "right angle" connectors would turn out through the front.

The 2.5 inch drive only mounts in that one orientation (the openings in the drive for the flanges on the case and the screw holes only align one way.) I have a "left angle" (or 270 degree) data cable, and am waiting for a "left angle" adapter for the power cable. Once I have that, I'll see if I can mount a second 2.5 inch drive.

I haven't tried these yet, but this is what I ordered to try the bottom (horizontal) 2.5 inch drive case mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FHGW5K

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077952PBQ

3 Posts

September 29th, 2018 10:00

Vertically mounted 2.5 inch driveVertically mounted 2.5 inch driveM.2 SSD mounted on motherboardM.2 SSD mounted on motherboard

16 Posts

October 6th, 2018 18:00

Good catch on the 2.5" drive mount, didn't notice that before.

What did you use for SATA power, a splitter from the one power cable? 

I hate that Dell moved to the new 6-pin power connector on the motherboard. I haven't been able to find a compatible cable to utilize the second SATA connector.

732 Posts

October 7th, 2018 08:00

Mounting hdd's are never a problem, you can drill new holes, use washers with screws, use double sided tape, etc. Just find a spot you can bring cables to. My ssd and front fan are both mounted with double sided tape with zero problems but don't use too much !

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

October 11th, 2018 14:00

@kwmcc wrote:

It took a while (just a lot of other things going on), but I did the following:

1) Installed M.2 drive. Had to purchase a standoff with internal screw online. I know I could get a bunch of them cheaper, but this worked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBG1783

2) Used Macrium Reflect to image the boot drive onto the SSD (resized primary partition so it fit)

3) Power off, disconnect internal hard drive, power on. Booted from M.2 SSD without any changes.

4) Power off, reconnect internal hard drive, power on. Still booted from M.2 SSD (Hurray!)

5) Used Macrium Reflect to image M.2 to a portable hard drive as a backup.

6) Installed an additional 2.5 inch 2 TB drive. The inside of the case (front side) is set up for two 2.5 inch drives with holes predrilled. Used the vertical install point, attached with two M3x4mm (might have been 3mm) screws and straight connector SATA power and data cables. It's a nice touch that all of the holes in the case are labeled with the screw size that they take (not the depth though.)

There is a horizontal orientation 2.5 inch mount point near the bottom of the case. That mount point doesn't work with either straight or "right angle" connectors because it's too close to the side (removable side of case). There isn't room for the straight connectors, and the "right angle" connectors would turn out through the front.

The 2.5 inch drive only mounts in that one orientation (the openings in the drive for the flanges on the case and the screw holes only align one way.) I have a "left angle" (or 270 degree) data cable, and am waiting for a "left angle" adapter for the power cable. Once I have that, I'll see if I can mount a second 2.5 inch drive.

I haven't tried these yet, but this is what I ordered to try the bottom (horizontal) 2.5 inch drive case mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FHGW5K

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077952PBQ

I used this Cablecc 90 Degree Right Angled SATA 22Pin 7+15 Male to SATA 22P Female Extension Convertor Adapter with great results in all three of my 3670 PCs. For that lower 2.5" drive location.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5WPSZ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't want to use the option pictured a few posts up where a straight connector was attached. Since it was difficult for me to remove it. The angled connector worked best for me. So I got them to use in all three of my 3670's.

1 Message

November 7th, 2018 12:00

how to did the power cable and data cable for the SSD vertical mount? My iinspiron i3670 does not have spare cables?

GB

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

November 7th, 2018 13:00

@leogiri wrote:

how to did the power cable and data cable for the SSD vertical mount? My iinspiron i3670 does not have spare cables?

GB

I got mine from Amazon.

I got this for power. Which connects to the Mini 6 pin ATX port on the Motherboard and provided two more power connections

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CG67ZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I got this 90 degree right angle adapter to put on the hard drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5WPSZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then I got some sata cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010WYTK0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i only needed the right angle adapter for the lower, vertical hard drive mount.

I used this hardware with all three of the 3670 PCs I got. Since I used both of the vertical, 2.5" hard drive locations. In addition to the 3.5" hard drive location.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2018 20:00

I managed to get the Dell Inspiron 3670 to dual boot, , so it is possible. My config was Windows on the M2.SSD and a 1TB internal for data. The bit I was stuck on was how to get the internal drive to show up in the BIOS. i.e after pressing F2 and checking under "Boot Sequence" I could only see the M2.SSD and not the internal disk When I boot from the M2.SSD, the Boot Sequence options were being read from the EFI system partition (ESP) on the M2.SSD which is why I could only ever see one entry in the FILESYSTEM LIST box eg HD(1,GPT,FB88A86F-F9E1-43E1-B4C0-C6409DA4DFDE) and the FILENAME BOX has \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi So I got rid of the NTFS filesystem on the internal disk, and created a new EFI system partition (ESP) of 650MB, formatted as fat32 on the internal 1TB disk. I did this using microsoft tool diskpart I then mounted this partition using mountvol /? as letter S: and copied the entire contents of the M2.SSD ESP partition to an ESP partition on the internal disk using bcdboot S:\Windows So it looks like this 1TB Internal Disk (ESP) (rest of disk is blank) M2.SSD (ESP) (windows partitions) After doing that, I have an ESP on the internal disk. I can then go into the BIOS under System Configuration, and uncheck the M2.SSD (leaving all of the other sata drives checked) After I save this, and go into the BIOS, what happens is the BIOS then uses the ESP on the 1TB Internal disk, and entries for the 1TB disk appear in the Boot Sequence Menu. So you can create a new boot option "1TB internal disk' HD(1,GPT,A32B1BDE-B10F-42D6-8635-D17D8DC3DD1D) or whatever your GPT GUID is For the filename list box, \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi The point of all this is to get the internal disk to appear in the Boot Sequence in the bios. I'm not actually going to use this boot option - (linux is going to overwrite it) I can then turn UEFI on, secure boot on, and boot from a UEFI USB stick containing linux. When linux boots, it can't "see" the M.2 SSD, as I disabled it in the bios. This also means linux can't overwrite the ESP on the M2.SSD containing windows. It can only see the internal 1TB drive, and the ESP on the internal drive. So I can go ahead and install linux on the 1TB internal disk, and linux will destroy the ESP copy I made on the internal disk and install it's own (containing grub2) After installing linux, in the bios there is a UEFI boot menu ubuntu So then restart, F2 to go back in the bios. Under System Configuration, re-check the M2.SSD to make the ESP containing the Windows Boot Manager visible again Under boot sequence, I now have two options setup Windows Boot Manager File System List: HD(1,GPT,FB88A86F-F9E1-43E1-B4C0-C6409DA4DFDE) File Name: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi and ubuntu File System List: HD(1,GPT,A32B1BDE-B10F-42D6-8635-D17D8DC3DD1D) File Name: \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi And I can either use the up and down arrows on the Boot Sequence menu to change their boot order around, or use F12 at boot time. In summary I had to make an ESP on the internal drive to get it to appear in the Boot Sequence menu, and I used diskpart, mountvol /?, and bcdboot to make this happen. Once the internal disk was in the Boot sequence menu, then that was enough for the linux installer to be able to do the rest. (If you are going to try replicating something similar, make sure you don't overwrite your windows ESP or you won't be able to boot afterwards)

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 02:00

Thanks for that info, worked like a charm !!!

6 Posts

May 10th, 2020 07:00

What standoff are using to mount the ssd?

No Events found!