Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

December 4th, 2018 20:00

Inspiron 3670, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, Bios

Notes on my new Samsung 970 (non Pro) install -  

I installed the SAMSUNG 500gb as my boot drive and it is fairly amazing, reducing powered off BOOT time in half and SLEEP/wake time too. About 30 seconds now from 60 seconds from power off before with the original drive.

The Inspiron does not include the tiny screw you need to install the 970!

If you dont have a M2-3.5 when you start you have to find one before starting. Geek squad helped me, the 970  came from BB. Samsung offers a data migration utility, which worked great to clone my boot disk to the 970.

Only problem is that as long as there are two bootable drives on the system, the BIOS will attempt to boot from the wrong one periodically on power up.

I used DiskPart to re-partition the original boot drive and assigned a new drive letter to it. So glad the Inspiron was engineered with this neet option, mine also came with the GEFORCE 1030 which is a pretty quick device compared to my 5 year old Radeon.

The 970 was just a little over $120 - working great so far here.

Note - Dell Support indicated that 500Gb is the max for Inspiron 3670.

Don R.

Carlsbad, Ca. USA

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 5th, 2018 06:00

No substitute for SSD drives and more so for M.2 drives. Glad to hear the system is working great. Nice to see a forum post from a happy user. If you or a friend ever need that screw again, they are available from Amazon...what isn't.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BW3QQRA/?coliid=I2MWT4DRZIZYRE&colid=3729WQKDXPNGV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

January 18th, 2019 15:00

Don, Are you running your Sata Mode in BIOS as RAID or AHCI? Thanks, Scott

2 Posts

February 21st, 2019 17:00

Here's a BRAND NEW install of Windows 10 on my Inspiron 3670 desktop with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME PCI-E SSD in it. This is the 1st time booted up AND the 1st time I ran the Crystal Disk benchmark. The results are below. The results are as advertised in an acceptable margin of what was advertised. I did not install the Samsung SSD drivers yet which is said to improve boot times, which I will do next.

As per the "screw" discussion. You can borrow the M.2 screw from wifi card if you don't need it. I took it out of my wifi chip and the wifi actually still works without the screw. Its a desktop...its stationery so not a big deal!. I run gigabit wired LAN on a Gigabit fiber connection from AT&T so im hard wired in at all times for stability. Overall a FANTASTIC set up for just a little over $750! Photoshop is going to fly on this 8th gen i7 and NVME storage!!

speed test 1st run.jpg

No Events found!