Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

732 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 3670, are any M.2 NVME SSD's compatible?

I see they are advertised for the gaming models but nothing for the Inspiron 3668 and the Inspiron 3670. (NVME not SATA).

18 Posts

October 18th, 2018 20:00

On my 3670 the screw is tied to ground on the board, therefore you do not want to run it without it being fastened down. I haven't looked at the NVMe spec but I'm sure there is a ground connection coming in on the connector, but that may be a signal ground, and the ground that ties the screw to ground may be chassis ground. It's the first thing I noticed when I was looking at it to figure out how a 2280 card will mount. Bottom line, I think it's a bad idea to try and run it without the card properly mounted, the ground is there for a reason.

2.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2018 11:00

Looks like the 3670 has an intel optain m.2 PCIe slot which would work for nvme. You shouldn't have any issues if you take that out (or if it doesn't have an optian chip) and put an m.2 card in. If you have optian already installed you may have to re-install the OS and software onto the m.2 storage.

732 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 12:00

Nothing to do with Optain. I want to know if a M.2 NVME is compatible. You are confusing me with Optain. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 9th, 2018 07:00

Going forward, in the Forum title, always put the PC model first, then the issue or question.

The online Inspiron 3670 Service Manual page 11 shows us the motherboard slots. It list #14 as the M.2 PCIe connector.

Page 22 states =

Remove the screw (M2x3.5) that secures the solid-state drive or Intel Optane memory to the system board.

Slide and remove the solid-state drive or Intel Optane memory from the M.2 card slot on the system board.

Based on those "or" statements, the Inspiron 3670 can use M.2 SSD in the #14 M.2 PCIe connector.

The largest I see for this model are 512GB, PCIe34, M.2, NVMe =
5Y7GC Intel 7600P
XMW6J Hynix PC401
70KCW Toshiba XG5
9Y4V9 Samsung PM981
PXCTW Samsung PM971
92X04 Liteon CA3

732 Posts

August 10th, 2018 17:00

The 8920 is part of a list of what I have, the question is about a 3670.

I don't think the 3670 has a x4 slot and when I consult Google Dell's gaming computer shows up everywhere but the 3670 has no info anywhere on a NVME SSD, are you sure they are compatible?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 10th, 2018 18:00

@546insp wrote:

1. I don't think the 3670 has a x4 slot and

2. but the 3670 has no info anywhere on a NVME SSD,

3. are you sure they are compatible?

1. Unless I'm missing something, Chris-M wrote a complete post above, explaining all about the slot and what drives Dell tends to put in it

2. Here is a config with " M.2 128GB PCIe SSD " ... M.2/PCIe=NVMe

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/new-inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop/ddcwgmmtcfl417s

3. There is no sub-compatibility. Any M.2-2280/PCIe/NVMe-SSD should work in any computer with a M.2/PCIe/NVMe slot.

732 Posts

August 11th, 2018 11:00

But the PCIe slots are x1 (one lane), is that going to work ok with a NVME card?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 12:00

@546insp wrote:

1. But the PCIe slots are x1 (one lane),

2. is that going to work ok with a NVME card?

1. Who said that?

Also, are we talking about the machine's PCIe expansion slots (for PCIe Addin-cards down below) ? I thought we were talking about the motherboard's M.2/PCIe slot for a M.2-2280 form factor NVMe-SSD?  :Huh?:

2. Can't really say since I'm lost.

One other thing ... we usually refer to M.2-2280/PCIe/NVMe-SSD's as ... NVMe-SSD's . Calling them "cards" is confusing because a "SSD card" is a different component. Yes, we just accept the fact that they are flat. :Smile:

732 Posts

August 11th, 2018 16:00

Now I'm confused (but not an expert). I asked if a  NVME m.2 SSD (or any other NVME) would work in a 3670 Dell desktop and was given examples but the specs say that computer only has X1 slots, not X4 (other that the video card slot) so it makes no sense that an NVME SSD will work well in it if at all. When researching this I only found articles on their gaming machine using NVME and nothing even hinted about the 3670.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 22:00

@546insp wrote:

1. I asked if a  NVME m.2 SSD (or any other NVME) would work in a 3670 Dell desktop

2. and was given examples but the specs say that computer only has X1 slots, not X4 (other that the video card slot) so it makes no sense that an NVME SSD will work well in it if at all.

3. When researching this I only found articles on their gaming machine using NVME and nothing even hinted about the 3670.

1. The answer to that question is YES.

It says so in the PDF manual and I even provided a link to a Dell config that comes pre-built that way.

2. Talk of "PCIe lanes" is usually reserved for the PCIe Addin slots (down below) for PCIe cards that you install yourself later. If you want to know more, I suggest you look-up the machine's Intel chipset at Intel.com (the block-diagram should be sufficient).

3. We can't control reviews or articles. However, both Chris-M and I have really only referenced Dell sources. Neither of us own this consumer-class machine (to open and examine), but we do trust that the Dell resources are correct (at least in this regard).  :Smile:

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 6th, 2018 13:00

@546insp wrote:

Now I'm confused (but not an expert). I asked if a  NVME m.2 SSD (or any other NVME) would work in a 3670 Dell desktop and was given examples but the specs say that computer only has X1 slots, not X4 (other that the video card slot) so it makes no sense that an NVME SSD will work well in it if at all. When researching this I only found articles on their gaming machine using NVME and nothing even hinted about the 3670.

I have three Dell 3670 PCs with 8th gen core i5 CPUs. In each one I installed a 250GB Mushkin Pilot NVMe – M.2 (2280) drive. And had zero issues with compatibility or cloning of the stock drive.

Now before installing I had read something about the M2 slot not having the full 32Gb/s capability. And my speed tests seem to bare that out. Since I am getting max read speeds of 16Gb/s(2000MB/s). Which is lower than the rated 2,470MB/s speed that the 250GB drive is capable of. But for my use I am very pleased with the 4X read speed increase from all the sata SSDs I've been using for many years in my older PCs.

My 3670 PCs are still super fast and have only several second boot times.

September 8th, 2018 05:00

Any interest in helping me have a similar setup to yours with the dell inspiron 3670?  I'd pay you for your time.

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 11th, 2018 14:00

Not much to it. I purchased Mushkin Pilot NVMe drives, 250GB. You just install it, using an M.2 screw to keep it in place. And then use Macrium Reflect Free to clone the stock drive to the NVMe. Disconnect the stock drive and reboot. Then the PC boots from the NVMe drive with no issues.

And then adding the additional drives is just like it shows in the service manual. It's just a matter of getting the extra Sata cables, power cables, and screws needed to install the drives in the PC.

I purchased my cables from Amazon. And then the screws i had with my existing SSDs I installed. And the stock, 3.5 inch drive already had screws.

September 11th, 2018 21:00

Thanks Aaron,  I purchased a m.2 SSD drive so I don't think I will need cables.  Hopefully it works after I clone.  I'm just hoping after that it will recognize the existing 1tb drive.

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 12th, 2018 14:00

No reason why it shouldn't. if it recognized it initially it will recognize it again. But I disconnected my 1TB drive after the cloning process. To make sure that it would boot from the NVMe drive and not the 1TB platter drive.

Then I just connected the 1TB over USB as well as another drive and cloned the 1TB again. Then I deleted the partitions on the 1TB drive and re-installed the 1TB drive in the 3670(well one of my 3670's anyway. The other two have 6TB, 3.5" drives in them). Then created one partition for the entire 1TB drive to use. And I still have a clone of the initial drive to use if I need to in the future.

No Events found!