Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

April 29th, 2019 22:00

Inspiron 3670, delays during powering on?

Firstly, i do not know the exact terms to describe this issue fully. So i will list down my full observations and description to my best of knowledge. This is the first time i face this problem after using windows for so long, so i am puzzled about this. 

Basically, this computer is in my office, after shutting down the CPU and monitor at the end of the day. I will always switch off the AC power outlet.

The next day, when i switch on the power outlet, the power button on the CPU will automatically light up (even when i did not press it). But the CPU is not switched on because there is no data sent to my monitor screen. After 20-30 seconds or so, the CPU will automatically power down, and the light on the power button will go off. Only after this 'automated boot / power down' phase, then I am able to press the power on button and the CPU will boot up properly. 

One extra thing I noticed is that, if i deliberately do not off the power source the day before, there will not be the 'automated boot /power down' phase. I will be able to simply power on the CPU using the power on button, without going through this 20-30sec waiting time. 

Can anybody enlighten me on this issue? and whether there is a possibility that it may become a catalyst for a bigger problem? 

I am running on inspiron 3670, a dell monitor connected via HDMI. 

• 

16.7K Posts

April 30th, 2019 04:00

Bypass the power strip that you are plugged into and plug directly to the wall outlet. Does the same thing happen? 

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2019 06:00

The cpu is in sleep mode its not off. So the first time you press the button it shuts down.

Disable Hibernation and change the power button and sleep button to shutdown and it will stop doing this.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2019 06:00

Hi

I do have the same issues for several months. Same model Inspiron 3670 i-5 bought last December. 

Order Number:

Please guide me.

My email address:

Thank You,

2 Posts

May 8th, 2019 01:00

Hi Seepstep, I don't think the cpu should be in sleep mode? it shouldnt sleep since i did not choose sleep? I shut down my computer by clicking the shutdown button on my desktop. (windows button> power button > Shut down).

2.5K Posts

May 8th, 2019 06:00

You need to learn how all power modes work on PC first.  there are many.

ON/Off (truly) Sleep/ Hibernate and even new Hybrid.

The word you  use CPU means computer or PC, the CPU is chip not a computer, but we get that.(slang)

The unstated OS, (seems w10-64 new in the box)

First is the BIOS, some BIOS have a group of settings called ACPI or Power settings, and some features can be turned on or off, this is the first place to look.

This is a desktop, so no bad laptop batteries to fail or short or cause overload, it's a desktop. shipped with w10-64.

the current bios version is Version: 1.5.21 ,1.5.21

The next place to stop and look is in device manager to see if any devices are lacking current drivers.

if they are wrong, dead/missing/unknown/yellow/red marked or corrupted sleep will fail. !

The next place to look, is in w10 control panel,  and click on power settings

then create a custom power profile, then turn on the features you want , I do not know what you want ok?

the power button is programmable,  to on/off or sleep ;wake (and more)

delays BOOTING up are complex. lets do a simple list.

1: using HDD and not a fast SDD drive.

2: in BOIS someone tuned on the POST delay from 3 second to 30, oops.

3: if  sleep (actual) is slow to wake then sleep mode is failing (bad drivers top the list here)

4: if booting cold is slow, then buy a SSD and turn on fast boot, In BIOS.

5: or a bad HDD (called weak by me this case) here, the HDD Fails smart tests, sure its slow its about to go 100% dead. Run crystaldiskinfo.exe free,

and see if parameter 05 is over your threshold , if yes HDD is toast.

if parameter, c6 is over 0  the  HDD is toast. over 0 means the magic spare sectors ran out.

the HDD self repairs, (OS independently) so when spare sectors are gone the drive goes bad fast. all do.

6: the OS is corrupted, and is slow and not from #5 caused, but infections. reload the OS, now.

the pC self turning on is wrong.

it is a feature on most PC. ( no sure this PC as bios is never fully documented by any OEM, for sure after 20 bios upgrades)

in BIOS there is choice,  (power settings menus there)

on power lost do what.?

stay off.

or turn on , when power restores (AC power)

2 Posts

March 4th, 2021 00:00

I have had the problem you describe.  Sometimes the computer goes into a diagnostic mode that takes about three minutes to run and then recommends a 3hr diagnostic run.   At this  point if I enter Ctrl Alt Del the computer then starts.  In any event it is time consuming and I am never sure what is the best thing to do.  I have talked to Dell technicians and they did not help. 
     What I have found works is for me not to turn the power off (i.e. I leave the power strip on.)  My printer and monitor go into standby mode so they drain about 1/4 watt power which is nothing.  I worry because if there is a lightning strike I believe the surge protector will not save your computer.  If I were to go away for a week or so I would turn off the power and then put up with the hassle of starting the computer. 

I have looked around on the web and I have not found a good answer.

No Events found!